Getting An Idp For A Uk License Holder

Digitalbanana

I need an Internatoinal Drivers Lic to complement my UK lic as I drive in several countries, but mostly in Bangkok.

I used to use the AA web site for this, but they still, in this day and age, use snail mail and cheques, and the IDP's only last a yr?!

I found another site idl-iaa.com that offers 10 yr IDP's and all payment done online in a minute? Whats the catch if any? Prices are not much more either..

I used to use the AA web site for this, but they still, in this day and age, use snail mail and cheques, and the IDP's only last a yr?!

I found another site idl-iaa.com that offers 10 yr IDP's and all payment done online in a minute? Whats the catch if any? Prices are not much more either..

The biggest catch is that they're not legal, anywhere :o

Thailand only recognise the 1949 licence treaty (1 year), there is a later treaty that issues 3 year IDPs but it's not recognised here.

Try the RAC site, IIRC you can do everything online with scans of your documents.

Once you have your IDP, use it to get a Thai licence (assuming you have a non-immigrant visa) :D

You can actually get an International Driving Licence (as opposed to IDP) from their office in Puhket, this is valid in Thailand and can be used to obtain a Thai Licence details can be found at : http://phuketdir.com/intlicense/index.htm

Yes, I have one of those. 10 years validity, used it in about half a dozen countries and works perfectly.

Its a scam, not really valid at all.

That's what I thought but works in USA, Mexico, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore and Croatia.

I rented motorcycle for adventure tour in Alaska and showed them this license, had no problems. Even used it as second ID to open bank account in Nevada, it worked.

Edited by CroBiker

Sounds like its worth it then :o Might have to get one. How long ago were you renting stuff with it?

madjbs, for renting I used it as recent as July 2008. Nevertheless, I still carry it with me whenever driving. I rented car in Baja California during spring break, no issues either.

You can actually get an International Driving Licence (as opposed to IDP) from their office in Puhket, this is valid in Thailand and can be used to obtain a Thai Licence details can be found at : http://phuketdir.com/intlicense/index.htm

The service looks the same as from idl-iaa.com which is what I have now used... looks cheaper and they say it's in the post! Seems much easier than the AA web site. I did check RAC but couldn't find an online link... maybe will try in 5 yrs when this one runs out!

Its a scam, not really valid at all.

That's what I thought but works in USA, Mexico, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore and Croatia.

I rented motorcycle for adventure tour in Alaska and showed them this license, had no problems. Even used it as second ID to open bank account in Nevada, it worked.

Quoted from the International Drivers Licence website:-

"The International Driver’s document issued by the International Automobile Association is a translation of a national driver’s license which allows the motorist to drive in different territories without experiencing difficulties with various language barriers."

There is no mention of validity, for example is this document widely accepted by insurance companies and can be used to support a claim?

I don't think I would rely on this in place of a real license !

It has scam written all over it.

You mean International Drivers Permits are scams or certain providers of such are? In every country I have driven, except home country, I have had to show my IDP - not my real home country license. In every case the IDP is valid if the real home country license is likewise and accompanies it. There is thus no scam is there not?

Edited by Digitalbanana

Yes, there is actually. There is more than one type of IDP and this is the type that is not valid in a lot of countries these days. In Thailand, the ONLY place you can get the proper one is the land transport department.

If it works though, then maybe it is worth a try. Just don't expect any sympathy if you need to claim on the insurance and they know about the different types.

Edited by madjbs