60 Day Visa Extension And Rules

turtles101

i am traveling to thailand for the first time on the 2nd of october and am a little confused about the whole visa situation. i am aware that i can get a 30 day visa upon entry; however, i am wishing to stay longer and would like to avoid the visa run as i am a female traveling alone. my question is, if i apply for a 60 day visa, can it be extended? if not, can i do a visa run at the time my 60 day visa expires or will i have to leave the country for an extended period at that time? any information on this topic would be extremely helpful.

A tourist visa can be extended by 30 days for a fee of 1,900 baht. You can try to apply for a ouble entry tourist visa, wich means you get 2 entries intom Thailand for 60 days each. Both entries can be extended by 30 days at any immigration office. After the first entry and extension you would have to leave the country and can come right back in for your second entry.

After the tourist visa you can always get a visa exempt entry for 30 days. Of these you can get a maximum of 90 days in a 6 month period. Note that you can also have 10 entries of 9 days and you can leave the country and can come right back, as long as you don't exceed 90 days in 6 months. This rule dus note count to other visa's.

All presuming you qualify for visa exempt entry, as you don't state your nationality.

A tourist visa can be extended by 30 days for a fee of 1,900 baht. You can try to apply for a ouble entry tourist visa, wich means you get 2 entries intom Thailand for 60 days each. Both entries can be extended by 30 days at any immigration office. After the first entry and extension you would have to leave the country and can come right back in for your second entry.

After the tourist visa you can always get a visa exempt entry for 30 days. Of these you can get a maximum of 90 days in a 6 month period. Note that you can also have 10 entries of 9 days and you can leave the country and can come right back, as long as you don't exceed 90 days in 6 months. This rule dus note count to other visa's.

All presuming you qualify for visa exempt entry, as you don't state your nationality.

Thank you for your help. I am Canadian. So, to be sure I am understanding you correctly, when I go to the embassy to apply I should ask for a double entry 60 day visa? then i can apply for an extension at the immigration office in phuket or where ever i am at close to the expiry? once my 60 + extension has expired i must leave the country and then re-enter?

Yes, apply for a double entry "Tourist Visa", upon entry you will be stamped in for 60 days, just before that entry expires apply for an extension. That will be good for 30 days, but you have to use your second "Visa" entry before the "use before date". So, you may not be able to use the full 30 day extension. With the second visa entry, you again will be stamped in for 60 days, and elgible to extend that for 30 days also. I hope I explained that well enough. Have a nice time!

Edited by beechguy

Yes, apply for a double entry "Tourist Visa", upon entry you will be stamped in for 60 days, just before that entry expires apply for an extension. That will be good for 30 days, but you have to use your second "Visa" entry before the "use before date". So, you may not be able to use the full 30 day extension. With the second visa entry, you again will be stamped in for 60 days, and elgible to extend that for 30 days also. I hope I explained that well enough. Have a nice time!

I think I understand now. Thank you so much for your help, it's a huge stress reliever!