Bead Curtains

Sao Jiang Mai

Not sure where to find them, but I would like some - non-kitsche - bead curtains...or that type of thing made from other materials. But you know what I mean? Strings of beads, or bamboos, stylish, pretty, and it sort of hangs down to make a faux door. Kind of like an old fashioned bordello (or, ahem, so I am told!), but with taste. There used to be a shop at JJ market but it has closed down. Would be most grateful for recommendations. Thanks, Pim

There's a couple of decent bamboo/ratan type stores down Chiang Moi Road, 100m on the left-hand side just down from Mike's Burgers (outside eastern side of moat). May find something in there, or failing that, Baan Tawai out by Hang Dong is sure to have them. The curtain place next to the 'Farang Restaurant' in Meechok Plaza (Rimping) on the Mae Jo Road is also pretty good :o

you could also look for small glass cylinders, colored glass beads, small sea-shells, cotton thread balls made roughly ( sort of rough cotton thread knotted at small lengths, the ideas are endless; or come to India. :o)

I got some up in mae sai [tachelek] for super cheap and they were nice looking with bamboo and wood beads strung into patterns. the first batch started falling apart quicksl, then i wanted to replace them, but not every month or so and I had the wife and friend double up the string...actually with decent quality monofilament and now they have lasted for years.