Foeigner Needs To Bring In Wedding Rings!

malcolm owen

Must be thinking strange topic! Me and the GF are going to get wed in the very near future and me Mum has suggested we use two of her ex-wedding rings! Kind hearted me Mum is! Now the problem is we think some character might pilfer our rings at the airport or at whatever destination the parcel has to pass through to get to Pattaya! I've sugested to mum to put the two rings in cotton wool bounded with sellotape and placed carefully in a dense towel or sweater, whatever!

Do you think i'm mad for trying and is there a better way to get the rings to LOS?

It is possible the parcel will be scanned at some point on the journey from the UK and the gold bans are bound to show up, or not? Any suggestions on getting these two rings safely here? The cost of the rings should be more than four hundred pound and i've instructed Mum to get the parcels here by the quickest method! Some might try and take a peek, if you with me? What to do under the circumstances? Thank you in advance for any replies! Malcolm Owen

If these are plain mostly unadorned wedding bands with no precious stones then they are probably not worth 400 pounds...of course they are special since they're from your mum.....but if its the monetary value of them then I'd suggest having Mum take them to a jeweler and have them weigh them and tell you the composition. You might want to buy new bands for now and that way you can be more careful with the special ones and put them on your fingers when you can do so without risking their loss...

thank you! but if one were to get a clearer picture of the scale of this operation, i'd find it hard to progress on the back of the previous two posts. i do understand the wit and capacity of such, but i'm still at base camp here guys! so can anyone offer anythng more than a pun? why not send by special delivery? any takers? am i resigned to hiring a bodyguard bring the adornings over from the UK? note: have had many parcels sent over with the contents intact! lets be more optimistic shall we?

The above four posters took a big step in living in Thailand or not? Can I assume your are pulling my leg? If you don't know, say so! Perhaps anyone who has exported and or has imported from abroad?

Again, this may not be important to you, but it is to me. I give up on you guys!

Steven, you cross the road everyday or what? Who said wedding ceremony, why questions about my mother, are you guys pulling my leg?

No my mother cannot travel until later! Can you kindly stick to the topic! Well i've probably upset you and you're going to move onto another post, well enjoy!

OK, the topic. My first post was to get you to decide if you viewed these rings as VALUABLE or SENTIMENTAL.

VALUABLE:Get an appraisal in writing from a jeweler. Check out shipping methods;post office, fed ex, ups, get off your ass and check out what's available from whereever you are. Ask them if they will insure jewelery etc etc.

SENTIMENTAL:If they have HIGH SEMTIMENTAL VALUE then I WOULD NOT SEND THEM THROUGH THE MAIL. THINGS DO GET LOST IN THE MAIL...FORGET STOLEN! I'D WAIT UNTIL MUM COMES AND HAVE HER BRING THEM...IF YOU TRUST YOU MUM!!

If you think hiding them will help keep them from being lost then hide them already.

Can we assume you are resident in Thailand.

Try UPS. Worldwide organisation. You can collect from their nearest office - throughout Thailand. Safe and secure and reliable.

All Post Offices (you don't say where your mother resides) have reliable special recorded deliveries. Problem is you need to ensure the Anglicised version of your Thai address is spot on as delivery to worng address is a big problem in Thailand as postcodes are not used as we know them.

Hello muenwai2. thank you for advice. have lived here three years. my parents live in the north of england (uk). if info correct, i will get mum to see if the uk has a 'ups' office and get them to send by 'reliable special recorded' delivery. and if 'ups' are spot on, then i can collect from the nearest 'ups' office in pattaya or other. i shall go find out! thank you once again... :o