Are You In Phon Phisai?

Goinghomesoon

Every time I'm at the Amphur in Phon Phisai I see at least 1 or 2 farangs, never the same ones. But when we wander around town we rarely see any at all. Admittedly we only make it up north for the occasional weekend but it's like farangs melts into thin air when they leave the district office. What do y'all do for fun?

Did you mean Utomphorn Phisai in Sisaket? Then there are some Foreigners but most of them spend their time in Sisaket or Surin.

In Sisaket you can meet them in Frank's place Livin in the past near the mosque or in Uncle willys close to Suen Heng Supermarket.

Every time I'm at the Amphur in Phon Phisai I see at least 1 or 2 farangs, never the same ones. But when we wander around town we rarely see any at all. Admittedly we only make it up north for the occasional weekend but it's like farangs melts into thin air when they leave the district office. What do y'all do for fun?

Farangs in the NongKhai province are the most elusive,live in the small villages,come to town(NongKhai or Udon)only for shopping,don't mix.

I know some and asked the same question;it seems they are happy to live in the sticks,with cable TV,satellite internet,big houses and gardens,swimming pool

etc. Mostly are retired,with young Isaan wives,and enjoi a quite life.

Not my dream,but I wish them happiness. :o

I have stayed in Phon Phisai several times for between 2 and 3 days per trip (wife has family in small village outside of Phon Phisai)... On my stays I have only seen two Farangs in and around town, 1 a Lady Teacher staying for 1 year, and the other was a German who was just passing thru and was looking for some Farang Food....

As mentioned, the "Local Farangs" must stay in the villages or at least at home and not wander around town much... A bit surprising for the size of the place...

Pianoman

• 1 year later...

In my wanderings round Phon Phisai last weekend I see there is now a farang restaurant a block from the bus station (it was closed). Will have to try it at Songkran, by day 4 I've usually overdosed on somtam and sticky rice and go looking for alternatives.

In my wanderings round Phon Phisai last weekend I see there is now a farang restaurant a block from the bus station (it was closed). Will have to try it at Songkran, by day 4 I've usually overdosed on somtam and sticky rice and go looking for alternatives.

Please post any information, impressions and such... I only get up there maybe once or twice a year, but it would be nice to have somewhere to get a Farang Food meal other than 7/11 Ham & Cheese Sandwich...

Pianoman

• 1 month later...

Hey Pianoman. Just remembered to update. The place is only open at night and even at Songkran was pretty quiet - three other farangs plus our family and later a big Thai family came in with a bunch of kids who all ordered burgers. I had an excellent club sandwich and our child had a burger. Hubby had a steak - not so great - but that was to be expected. Decent servings size and good cold drinks which is of course very important! Rustic place with pot-plant decoration, open-air and fan-cooled so pretty warm at this time of year. I needed to wear mossie repellant to beat the killer stingers. Much better food is available in Nong Khai but when you don't want to drive that far and still want some farang junk, this place makes a nice change.

Hey Pianoman. Just remembered to update. The place is only open at night and even at Songkran was pretty quiet - three other farangs plus our family and later a big Thai family came in with a bunch of kids who all ordered burgers. I had an excellent club sandwich and our child had a burger. Hubby had a steak - not so great - but that was to be expected. Decent servings size and good cold drinks which is of course very important! Rustic place with pot-plant decoration, open-air and fan-cooled so pretty warm at this time of year. I needed to wear mossie repellant to beat the killer stingers. Much better food is available in Nong Khai but when you don't want to drive that far and still want some farang junk, this place makes a nice change.

Thanks for the Update... I was in town several months ago and did not notice the place, but it was mid day so probably closed at the time... I will try to find it my next trip up that way, will be nice to have a "Farang Dinner" even if only fair in quality...

Pianoman