Mosquito Repellents

fred2007

I am one of the unlucky ones who get bitten by Mosquitos and ants all the time I bought all different brands of repellents but I still get bitten. So my question is do they really work or is it just clever marketing. :o

Active ingredient is Deet, so you are looking for something with the highest concentration of deet in it... and it will work

25-30% is ok, best is 40%, but it will burn you, and melt plastic as well.. :D

Mosquitos simlpy love me; especially my feet. So I suffer with you, Fred. In my family, it happens often that I am the only one bitten by these beasts. I hate them!!!

Mosquito repellents do work; the question is for how long. In my experience they are effective anything between 30 Min to 4 hours.

You just have to find out which ones work best for you.

I am one of the unlucky ones who get bitten by Mosquitos and ants all the time I bought all different brands of repellents but I still get bitten. So my question is do they really work or is it just clever marketing. :o

Active ingredient is Deet, so you are looking for something with the highest concentration of deet in it... and it will work

25-30% is ok, best is 40%, but it will burn you, and melt plastic as well.. :D

well I rather get burned then getting munched away by those little buggers

I am also one of those that seem to attract mossies even when others around are free of them.

When I am bit I get a golf ball sized lump and after a scabby place that takes weeks to go away.

This is by far my biggest issue with living in los so any proven remedies would be greatly appreciated.

I am also one of those that seem to attract mossies even when others around are free of them.

When I am bit I get a golf ball sized lump and after a scabby place that takes weeks to go away.

This is by far my biggest issue with living in los so any proven remedies would be greatly appreciated.

I guess we both waiting for a good answer saying that I must explain I am sitting in my bed room now I have fly screen doors and windows I sprayed my bed room with mosquito spray I applied repellent and they still get me :o yes it might be funny for a lot of you guys out there but just like benjamat says my legs or arms or any part of my body swells up like golfballs

I guess we both waiting for a good answer saying that I must explain I am sitting in my bed room now I have fly screen doors and windows I sprayed my bed room with mosquito spray I applied repellent and they still get me :o yes it might be funny for a lot of you guys out there but just like benjamat says my legs or arms or any part of my body swells up like golfballs

Well you obviously have bought the wrong type of repellant, as advised above....high Deet concentration...this wasnt a wind up, also blowing a fan on you works as well cos the the little bug*ers dont like moving air....or Citronella (think that how you spell it) oil candles work as well....

I am one of the unlucky ones who get bitten by Mosquitos and ants all the time I bought all different brands of repellents but I still get bitten. So my question is do they really work or is it just clever marketing.

You don't say whether you stay predominantly in rural or urban areas.

MOSQUITOS

At home, move up a few floors?

I stay in central Pattaya and have always rented apartments on the 4th floor or higher. I've never had a problem with mosquitos in my room.

Re deet. The 'Nomad' travel shop in London recommended to me 50 percent Deet spray to counter mosquitos.

DEET (Diethyltoluamide, N,N - diethyl - 3- methylbenzamide) remains the gold standard of currently available insect repellents. It is a broad spectrum agent that is effective against mosquitoes, biting flies, fleas and ticks (1).

In most situations, products containing 10% or less DEET are adequate to prevent mosquito bites. In higher risk areas (e.g. areas where malaria, Ross River virus, Barmah Forest virus and Dengue Fever occur) preparations containing 15-30% DEET should be used. Light coloured clothes covering the wrists and ankles should be worn to minimise the possibility of being bitten, especially in highly malarious areas. When travelling to high-risk areas (especially overseas) it is recommended that expert medical advice be obtained prior to departure.

DEET can be safely applied to cotton, wool, and nylon but may damage spandex, rayon, acetate and pigmented leather. DEET can dissolve plastic and vinyl (eg. eyeglass frames) (2).

http://www.rch.org.au/kidsinfo/factsheets.cfm?doc_id=7755

There is an Thai made Lotion named Sketolene on the market. I get it from Foodland at all times and works well for me. Maybe worth to take a check for you as well.

Cheers.

I lived in Ghana for some years...the mossies carry malairia very strongly there...I used the chemical...deet...sprays.which were expensive and ended up making my own spray with Citronella oil in a alcohol base.

Here I use some Vodka and the Citronella..... a small bottle of the oil costs 70 baht

Nice lemon smell too.It also sooths the pain,if you have been bitten by other insects

I lived in Ghana for some years...the mossies carry malairia very strongly there...I used the chemical...deet...sprays.which were expensive and ended up making my own spray with Citronella oil in a alcohol base.

Here I use some Vodka and the Citronella..... a small bottle of the oil costs 70 baht

Nice lemon smell too.It also sooths the pain,if you have been bitten by other insects

In this particular case would advocate large quantities of Gin & Tonic in addtion to Citronella Oil... :D

Hi

When in the province I get the problem with mozzy bites too, and have found that most of the local sprays and lotions are not very effective.

The only one I found that works properly is "Off'. Deet 15%.

Tends to last 4 to 6 hours but do not expect any more than 8 hours.

Use the proper spray can - see pic. The bottles of lotion do not work so well for me.

post-52259-1222578158_thumb.jpg

It can be bought at villa, foodland, watsons and i think I saw some recently in either big C or carrefour.

Mozzies seem to like my ears and neck. so I spray some onto my hands to apply some.

Feet are the worst if get bitten but I always now try to use socks, even spray the socks for evening. helps keep ants off.

Not so long ago I ran out of the "off" and had a problem getting bitten too much, tried several local options without success. Had to drive 60Km to Hua Hin to get some.

Looks like it is worth trying some of the other suggestions here also.

jojo

Try plain old Listerine (the mouth wash) ..seriously, either rub on or put in a spray bottle and squirt around door frames and under tables...they hate it

And you will have a nice "minty" smelling room to boot... :o

that might get rid of the mossys but what about the ant problem you're sure to get..........

best is 40%, but it will burn you, and melt plastic as well

Overkill, even leeches don't need that. Thai pharmacies stock a product called "Wildlives", which comes in two flavors: 28% and 95% Deet. I find that the 28% is plenty. There is also Off lotion which is pretty good against Mozzies and gnats. Citronella oil works, but needs to constantly be reapplied.

Sketolene & citrus based lotions for children

Skeltolene is what i recomend to people , i use nothing myself because even on the odd occassion i am bitten , putting my own spittle on it a few times takes away the sting and after effects . I have not seen them here , but in Canada they sell netting jackets that cover the top of the body including the head and face , not the most comfortable apparently , but effective , you need to keep pant bottoms tied tight to your ankles also . Should you have drastic results from mosquito bites , you need to take drastic measures , you can also buy bed nets that are treated to repel the little buggers .

best is 40%, but it will burn you, and melt plastic as well

Overkill, even leeches don't need that. Thai pharmacies stock a product called "Wildlives", which comes in two flavors: 28% and 95% Deet. I find that the 28% is plenty. There is also Off lotion which is pretty good against Mozzies and gnats. Citronella oil works, but needs to constantly be reapplied.

How can you say 40% is over kill, when the brand you have suggested has a varient with 95% deet,?....No mozzies.... but 1st degree burns on ya legs... :o:D

Skeltolene is what i recomend to people , i use nothing myself because even on the odd occassion i am bitten , putting my own spittle on it a few times takes away the sting and after effects . I have not seen them here , but in Canada they sell netting jackets that cover the top of the body including the head and face , not the most comfortable apparently , but effective , you need to keep pant bottoms tied tight to your ankles also . Should you have drastic results from mosquito bites , you need to take drastic measures , you can also buy bed nets that are treated to repel the little buggers .

So if iam out site I walk around with a mosquito net ?

So if iam out site I walk around with a mosquito net ?

You can..... if you want to look like a right pr*ck, and anyway if you have curtain netting over your face, how the h*ll do you drink your beer..?? :o

Have been bitten many times in LOS but twice was very bad, I was in bed very ill, hot sweats, severe shits, badly swollen ankles and the last time I was in Los I got bitten just before I came back home and 3 days after coming home I was in bed for 1 week delerious and eventually had to be taken to the hospital suffering badly from hallucinations, scary stuff but apart from that it's been not to bad.

Edited by Brigante7