Thai Customs

Master Chief

Does their service help Thailand in anyway, or are they stopping Thailand from being an import and export hub in asia?

I used to send and receive tools and materials from Thailand to all over Asia for my work, I have stopped this and now I transfer these items from Singapore where we have our warehouse. It goes so smoothly and hassel free, with only one day or same day release.

Here in Thailand it takes minimum of 3 working days to clear export or import goods.

#Passport copies signed and duly company stamped.

#Copies of import/export licenses.

#Invoice of goods

#VAT registrations

#Toolbox needs to be off loaded of all items and duly noted and photografed, even down to single spare carbon.

#import taxes paid on new purchased equipment and materials, and no credit given at any shipping agent, all cash.

And this every single time something leaves or enters the Kingdom.

Forbid if we have added one cutting disc in the return cargo, as that would create havoc.

I think that Thailand should really scrap their existing system, sack all their custom officers and refuse all shipping agents. Delete corruption in one sweep

Start over with a new laws, system, policies and staff.

That would give the Kingdom a good healthy start to being an import and export hub in Asia

I hear you Master Chief, some of people in charge of these policies wouldn't be able to hold street cleaner job in developed country. Lack of logic and common sense in highest echalons of Thai government is just incredible. Xenophobia becoming cancer of Thai society.

Well said. Every government agency and office is its own little kingdom, and guards its turf furiously.

I was recently amazed at the differences just between Immigration offices, run by the Thai national police. Last year, for visa renewal, in and out in 20 minutes using an office staff of three people. This year, different office---3 hours, using an office staff of six. Bureaurocratic (sp)"efficiency" at its worst. Like my spelling.

Does their service help Thailand in anyway, or are they stopping Thailand from being an import and export hub in asia?

I used to send and receive tools and materials from Thailand to all over Asia for my work, I have stopped this and now I transfer these items from Singapore where we have our warehouse. It goes so smoothly and hassel free, with only one day or same day release.

Here in Thailand it takes minimum of 3 working days to clear export or import goods.

#Invoice of goods

#VAT registrations

#Toolbox needs to be off loaded of all items and duly noted and photografed, even down to single spare carbon.

#import taxes paid on new purchased equipment and materials, and no credit given at any shipping agent, all cash.

Forbid if we have added one cutting disc in the return cargo, as that would create havoc.

I think that Thailand should really scrap their existing system, sack all their custom officers and refuse all shipping agents. Delete corruption in one sweep

That would give the Kingdom a good healthy start to being an import and export hub in Asia

Electronic clearing is available...doesn't that improve turnaround? I think they are using a modified Australian Customs software...

I recently bought some mail order fishing tackle rod reel books dvd couple of shirts and a pair of proper polorised sunglasses from the USA.

I will not be doing that again UPS are completley useless and in cahoots with Customs, Rod arrived first and I had to pay THB2900 Duty and added UPS Charges?? Then after a long delay and calls E mails totally useless bunch the Reel and a few other Items arrived but I had to pay over THB12,000 this time.

Then the Sunglasses arrived in Bangkok via UPS . Thai UPS Contacted me by E mail to tell me that there would be THB700 Duty fair enough after 8 days they contacted me again and wanted to know what they were for and the manufacturer I responded within 45 minutes of the E mail.

After all this they then told me that I would have to pay over THB3000 storage fee at customs FOR SUNGLASSES!!!!,at this point I lost it told them to Stick it where the sun does not shine accused them of stealing and to return to sender I have not heard again from Thailand UPS and do not wish to but the Anglers Centre in California who was copied on all E mails apologised on behalf of UPS Thailand and are refunding my money for items not received and are changing any future Thai orders to DHL (will they be any better ? me thinks not)

So lesson learned dont order anything mail order get sent to friends and they can bring in or bring in yourself.

I work in West Africa and Thai Customs and so called World renowned Courier Companies(Thai based) will certainly match if not better the famous corruption of West African Customs & Police

UPS Thailand is disgrace! I often buy motorcycle memorabilia, apparel, collectibles....it would take me hours to describe all troubles I had with them.

On one occasion I ordered 1:12 scale diecast car toy for my son's Chritmas gift and value was $40. They charged me 600 baht for duty even though package stated it was a gift. Shipment was from Maryland, USA. Since then I switched carriers to Fedex or just plain USPS and never paid one cent for customs duty. Subsequently I ordered brand new Ti-Force titanium exhaust for motorcycle and paid absolutely no tax! Go figure that....

Whenever I buy anything from the US, I get it sent to a friend in the US who then sends it by the USPS.

Never been hit for customs if it comes by Airmail.

Invoice is removed before posting & only $15/kg

US mailorder co's, can't seem to wean themselves away from Fedex and UPS.

Ask for USPS & you get "can't do"..... lazy bastards. :o

I recently bought some mail order fishing tackle rod reel books dvd couple of shirts and a pair of proper polorised sunglasses from the USA.

I will not be doing that again UPS are completley useless and in cahoots with Customs, Rod arrived first and I had to pay THB2900 Duty and added UPS Charges?? Then after a long delay and calls E mails totally useless bunch the Reel and a few other Items arrived but I had to pay over THB12,000 this time.

Then the Sunglasses arrived in Bangkok via UPS . Thai UPS Contacted me by E mail to tell me that there would be THB700 Duty fair enough after 8 days they contacted me again and wanted to know what they were for and the manufacturer I responded within 45 minutes of the E mail.

After all this they then told me that I would have to pay over THB3000 storage fee at customs FOR SUNGLASSES!!!!,at this point I lost it told them to Stick it where the sun does not shine accused them of stealing and to return to sender I have not heard again from Thailand UPS and do not wish to but the Anglers Centre in California who was copied on all E mails apologised on behalf of UPS Thailand and are refunding my money for items not received and are changing any future Thai orders to DHL (will they be any better ? me thinks not)

So lesson learned dont order anything mail order get sent to friends and they can bring in or bring in yourself.

I work in West Africa and Thai Customs and so called World renowned Courier Companies(Thai based) will certainly match if not better the famous corruption of West African Customs & Police

Make sure there is always an invoice with the shipment clearly stating fishing equipment and a clear price, eg 1800 baht for rod, 2000 baht for reel, you will then pay duty on that amount, if you don't show invoice it can take days whilst customs decide firstly what catagory it falls into (% import duty) then they decide what they think the value is. This can take days. If you have an invoice with the shipment you pay the courier company the tax on amount shown at your door when they deliver, they then pass this onto customs for you.

No invoice and you deal with customs yourself, which is where costly delays happen.

Edited by womble

• 4 months later...
Whenever I buy anything from the US, I get it sent to a friend in the US who then sends it by the USPS.

Never been hit for customs if it comes by Airmail.

Invoice is removed before posting & only $15/kg

US mailorder co's, can't seem to wean themselves away from Fedex and UPS.

Ask for USPS & you get "can't do"..... lazy bastards. :o

Is the box opened when sent USPS airmail? Is there any invoice on the outside or inside of the box telling what is contained in it, along with the value? Thanks for the help, trying to get somethings sent to me and want to know the best way.

• 7 months later...

Outrageous! A friend of mine just moved from China to Bangkok, he shipped a box clearly marked 'personal items, clothes, books' it cost him $300 USD door to door for the shipping. Yesterday he gets a call from DHL who state that its not their fault and they feel very sorry but he will need to pay a further 14,500 baht to clear his box! What a complete and utter scam. Thai Customs and probably DHL are just robbing people blind!!!!! Where can one report these highway robbers? :)

• 3 weeks later...

#Invoice of goods

#VAT registrations

I posted this on a thread of someone who was recently assessed a duty on his used clothing!

I once sent a box of used clothing etc via UPS from the US to Phuket which contained a bottle of vitamin C, manfactured in Samutprakran and purchased at Lotus for 38 baht. Thai Customs stated I needed an import license for the vitamin C. I replied that I was merely bringing back vitamin C that was manufactured in thailand, purchased Thailand and that they could just throw the vitamin C away.

Customs replied that they could only allow everything in or I must return all items to the US, which I later did at a total cost of over 20,000 Baht roundtrip. True story! You figure it out but I'll never send anything else to Thailand again.

I once asked the customs office at the Don Muang airport what the duty rate was for used personal items. The officer replied "it's up to the customs official". Need I say more? Customs officers have a license to steal!

Someone out there must know how to stop these customs offical Ba''''''''''ds.

These posts should be published throughout the Thai media, and Europe, then and only then it may change.

#Invoice of goods

#VAT registrations

I posted this on a thread of someone who was recently assessed a duty on his used clothing!

I once sent a box of used clothing etc via UPS from the US to Phuket which contained a bottle of vitamin C, manfactured in Samutprakran and purchased at Lotus for 38 baht. Thai Customs stated I needed an import license for the vitamin C. I replied that I was merely bringing back vitamin C that was manufactured in thailand, purchased Thailand and that they could just throw the vitamin C away.

Customs replied that they could only allow everything in or I must return all items to the US, which I later did at a total cost of over 20,000 Baht roundtrip. True story! You figure it out but I'll never send anything else to Thailand again.

I once asked the customs office at the Don Muang airport what the duty rate was for used personal items. The officer replied "it's up to the customs official". Need I say more? Customs officers have a license to steal!

When I was in the states I had a state licensed and FDA hearing aid company. I would import hearing aids from Thailand in to the US. I would do this with fine witht he Thai Postal service in conjunction with USPS.

Every thing was fine and smoothe and 100% legitimate. All the documents, all the proper FDA codes administered etc etc.

Then for some reason USPS quit doing business with Thailand and it became a DHL carrier. DHL sent me a letter requesting that I use thier "clearance services" in order to expedite things. (Of course they wanted a fee) I refused, because I felt we did not need to pay off DHL because every thing, every aspect was a legitimate operation....

OHHHH NOOOO

Every package was flagged by DHL and handed over to customs for their "sniffing." Trouble was the customs agents often times did not understand FDA regulations covering hearing aids... all kinds of issues would come up, and I even had to get lawyers involved. Eventually I folded up shop.... good riddance to a head ache and continous bother of taxes upon taxes for owning a company.

Long story short, I think DHL is a scam artist company.... they should do well in Thailand, they have a very good "cultural" understanding.