Retirement Visa Verses Marraige Visa

I have just qualified for my long earned retirement personal pension, I am 51 years old.

First would I be better going for a marriage visa or a retirement visa, I qualify on the income from my pension on both.

Secondly do I have to take my wife to the embassey in bangkok or just the relivant paperwork?

Thanks

Spaced-out

The extension based on marriage requires less income but is not so easy to apply for. You would need to take your Wife to be interviewed for this, plus a few other things and wait a month for the decision.

The retirement extension is easy and you get the decision instantly. No need to take the Wife for this.

Immigration will push you towards the Retirement option as it means less wok for them.

Also if something happens to your Wife or you get divorced you lose your permission to stay.

With the retirement extension you will be able to stay.

Edited by Lite Beer

You don't go to the embassy for a visa. You go to the immigration office nearest to where you live tp apply for the extension of a visa you already have.

You get the income letter from your emabassy/consulate.

There is different opinions on which visa extension is best and your own preference.

Retirement visa apparently is easier to get because you don't have the 30 day wait after applying while they consider your application.

If you apply for an extension based upon marriage your wife has to go with you. Also part of the process is verificaion that you are living as husband and wife.

What kind of visa do you have now.

Note: This is not a repeat of LiteBeers post. We were typing at the same time.

Edited by ubonjoe

Marriage Option.

Proof of income.Bank book showing some deposit. Wife's ID Card and house document. photos of you and your Wife in and around your house. Photos of your wardrobe with your clothes hang up together. Map to your house. Possible house visit. Possible talking to neighbours. Take Wife to be interviewed and sign a statement. Passport size photo. 1,900 Baht fee. Wait a month and go back again for the decision.

Retirement Option.

Proof of income. Bank book showing some movement. Passport size photo. 1,900 Baht fee. Instant decision.

The choice is yours if in fact Immigration give you a choice. Once they see you have the income for both they will give you the retirement extension.

I could of gotten either one. But I took the marriage option because I feel its the one that fits my current situation in life and one that I am entitled to.

Also I am looking at the long term aspect of getting permanent residency. I plan on staying here until they put my body on the fire and then gather up the bones and put them in the temple wall.

I figure that later I may not be able to or desire to make the 90 day reports and annual trek to immigration.

Just my personal feelings on the matter.

Edit: Comments on LiteBeers post. A lot of what he says is dependent on the office you apply at. I did not supply any photos other than those for the application and had no home visit. The application and interview happened at the same time and we both signed it. After the application and money paid the immigration officer gave us a sealed envelope to take to the local police office. They did letters and we took those back in a sealed envelope. Went back on the assigned date and they put the stamp in passport with the one year extension.

Edited by ubonjoe

What do you think was in that sealed enveloppe? I bet immigration ask the local police to confirm you are living with the misses.

If you decide to go for a PR then the marriage visa is the only option. For the OP the retirement option is the best, as he is already living from his pension. The retirement option would give him more security, as he wouldn't be dependend on the misses and it is also easier to get.

I know what the letter was about. I had a nice visit with the police chief while he did the letters for him and two policemen.

Thats how my nearest office verified the following requirement.

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be dejure (legitimate) and de facto;

Before applying for visa extension it would be wise to check with the nearest office to see what they require.

Marriage requires less income, and income is the ONLY option. (40K baht)

It takes a month to process as it has to go to Bangkok.

Retirement has the option of a lump sum in the bank, 800K baht or an income of 65K baht

or a combination of the two.

It can be processed by the local office and I beleive may be done the same day.

The choice is yours.

I have just qualified for my long earned retirement personal pension, I am 51 years old.

First would I be better going for a marriage visa or a retirement visa, I qualify on the income from my pension on both.

Secondly do I have to take my wife to the embassey in bangkok or just the relivant paperwork?

Thanks

Spaced-out

If you got the economic requirements for retirement extension as it seems then its the best choice to apply for extension based on retirement because its more convenient for both you and the immigration and its more safe for you in case a conflict in your marriage should lead to a divorcion.

I whish you a good luck as an expat in Thaland!

Regards!

At 51 years old you may decide you want to work here to keep yourself busy. Or not.

If you do, the visa based on marriage might be a better bet for you. With that you can get a work permit.

With a retirement visa, some labor offices will issue a work permit and some don't.