Noise Pollution

davylad

Hi,Ive been reading about the noise pollution in central pattaya,especially in condo's,there was no noise pollution when I stayed in vtv jomtien,what's the situation with noise pollution on the darkside?I don't think there are any condo's on the darkside?

There's a condo about 500M in from suk on Soi Siam Country club - What its like no idea

One of the things i love on the darkside is the lack of noise from cars/bikes/karaoke bars/drunks/ etc etc.

• 1 year later...

^As you probably found out, the traffic noise on the darkside side can be really bad if you are close to the main roads. The trucks are a law unto themselves and are allowed to run there vehicles with illegal exhausts and pollute at will.

Sitting outside bars and restaurants is a no no for me - just too noisy during the day. The proprietors of the open front shop houses must be getting there hearing permanently damaged thanks to the unregulated traffic.

The BIB do nothing of course as they are paid to leave clear!

The Thais love of noise is incomprehensible, Motor bikes, trucks, cars, karaoke, markets, advertising trucks etc, they love to make noise, makes them super cool I guess? If the trucks have some nice anodised or chrome covers for there wheel nuts, that really adds to the cool factor!

IF BIB did there job, trucks would run more efficiently, less noise & air pollution would be the result - money more important!

Sad thing is years ago they used to check trucks and bikes for noise and emissions, guess the payment was increased!

Edited by CGW

thais live with noise from the cradle to the grave and have the ability to notch (filter) out the noise

its much like people that have kids - i get annoyed at the noise of yelling and screaming and parents dont seem to hear it as they just notch it out

same as people living under the flight path of planes - u get used to it by notching it out

there was this clown on Beach rd on SAT with his big car sound system

i called 1337 and they shut him down then he started up a few hours later

when i went for my morning walk he was blasting away at 730am and so i stood in front of his car and took a picture

he went of down the road and turned down the noise

then on SUN he was all quiet - no noise at all

maybe the 1337 works in some cases

harder to shut up a karaoke bar

but try

^ off course we are guests here, but we are paying guests and should be treated with some consideration, should we not?

One of the many problems with noise here is that people have chosen quiet areas in the past, only to have "noise" move in on them at a later date, due to lack of zoning etc. This, along with many other things make people think twice about committing to Pattaya for the long term, myself included.

^ off course we are guests here, but we are paying guests and should be treated with some consideration, should we not?

One of the many problems with noise here is that people have chosen quiet areas in the past, only to have "noise" move in on them at a later date, due to lack of zoning etc. This, along with many other things make people think twice about committing to Pattaya for the long term, myself included.

I get a laugh when I go by the beer bars at the corner of Soi 2 and 2nd Rd., each one has a live band trying to blast the crap they play louder then one next door, are the customers there really having conversations or reading lips, which must be difficult because they are all too sauced to do either

Yes, the noise here in Pattaya is dreadful. I've moved 3 times this past year in Pattaya to find something decent enough away from the boom, boom, boom music of bars and cars. The last place I was at near Carrefour was flanked by 2 bars that made my walls shake and vibrate to sometimes 6:00 am-- unbelievable... my stupidity of not staking the place out enough to know this. The management was cool enough to give me most of the time there free (except for utilities), though, because of the noise situation. Unfortunately, where I have moved now, there is a car shop down the road with Turbo Sound installation in cars; but fortunately the noise from there is somewhat periodic and not all the time. (They also hang out after closing time in the evening sometimes cranking out the boom, boom, boom as they drink their drinks.) I am amazed there is simply no consideration of other people; but, I know, it's apparently a cultural thing.

The only places I have found quiet without the booming of bass music is Koh Tao and a Wat that's 2 hours away from pattaya in the middle of plantation fields. It was an amazing pleasure not to have had to sleep with earplugs in these places. The boom noise is actually painful to my nervous system... and, believe me, a true curse to have to live with. I don't think there is anywhere in Pattaya "immune" to the noise. While there was certainly a problem of boom cars back in the USA, the problem here is magnified exponentially. Like another poster said, sometimes they set up these trucks that are nothing but one big speaker (and, when turned on, rattle and vibrate everything within a kilometer and more).

With that said, I do have my reasons to remain in Pattaya at least for the time being.

Anyone know where to get Bose headsets in Pattaya or something similar (like the noise reduction headsets that one can find at a shooting range)?

JJ

Aren't we guests here?

And Pattaya is not a small village, so it's up to you to chose a quiet place.

Some threads I will never understand!

Cheers

maybe a few books on lateral thinking might help! suggest Edward Debono - helps u think outside the box

imagine if you will that you do buy in a quiet place and then some joker sets up a screaming karaoke bar next door

what happens then

imagine you build a nice little boutique hotel and some joker starts a noisy bar next door

what happens then

imagine that you are sitting in your beach chair quietly reading drinking eating when a pick up arrives with its outside speaker system blarring

what happens then

there is an health, economic and social impact on Pattaya because of noise

proper zoning of residential and bar areas are needed if Pattaya intends to change its image (they say) and attract the punter with more dollars (they say)

there are laws in place for noise and so i suggest people call 1337 and report the problem.

Earplugs?

Anyone have any recommendations regarding earplugs. Comments about price/availability and comfort appreciated.

Boots and many pharmacies have decent earplugs.

However, they are what I would consider overpriced. In the States in sporting goods shops etc. you can buy a bag of earplugs cheap. I'm still working on a bag I brought back years ago.

Very useful. I carry them wherever I go. Sometimes I even wear them in Tesco Lotus or Carrefour to block out the ads and "music."

Closed headphones are also pretty good. Get high quality (~4,000 baht) and enjoy your music!

Anyone know where to get Bose headsets in Pattaya or something similar (like the noise reduction headsets that one can find at a shooting range)?

JJ

Top floor of Tukcom has them, if I am not wrong or Powerbuy. If you cant find them there, you will find them at the airport on the way back home.

I know that the Pratamnak Area is quiet, also the Jomtien Beach Condos are ok. No problem to sleep without noise canceling Headphones. There are many more, you dont have to go to Koh Tao for that. Talking about Koh`s Koh Lan will be very quiet too, I am sure.

zoning

here are a couple of pics regarding the lack of zoning

again there is a negative economic impact on Pattaya Jomtien

without proper zoning why buy anything with the uncertainty of a bar being built next door

see Christian Centre and a beer bar next door

see small condo block with a vodka bar next door

notice condo is for sale

good luck

see mobile boom box

post-6522-1265349433_thumb.jpg

post-6522-1265349466_thumb.jpg

post-6522-1265349532_thumb.jpg

JJ

Top floor of Tukcom has them, if I am not wrong or Powerbuy. If you cant find them there, you will find them at the airport on the way back home.

I know that the Pratamnak Area is quiet, also the Jomtien Beach Condos are ok. No problem to sleep without noise canceling Headphones. There are many more, you dont have to go to Koh Tao for that. Talking about Koh`s Koh Lan will be very quiet too, I am sure.

Thanks for the info about the headsets. i'll try Tukcom since I don't plan on being at the airport any time soon.

I saw a guy as I walked past a bar the other day sitting in there with two great big pieces of cotton wool sticking out his ears, I would have to agree with him the music was crap and loud but why sit their like a bell-end looking like that, just go somewhere quieter or at least somewhere where you like the music.

As for people considering spending longer amounts of time 'in' one of the biggest 24/7 party capitals in the world and bothered about noise pollution doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Edited by KASABIAN

I saw a guy as I walked past a bar the other day sitting in there with two great big pieces of cotton wool sticking out his ears, I would have to agree with him the music was crap and loud but why sit their like a bell-end looking like that, just go somewhere quieter or at least somewhere where you like the music.

As for people considering spending longer amounts of time 'in' one of the biggest 24/7 party capitals in the world and bothered about noise pollution doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Pattaya is made up of party areas and residential areas - does that make sense

Sure, next time you consider a residential area to live in anywhere in the world, take a look around you and what is close by. Arguably the biggest brothel in the world and more bars then the Big Tiger.

It doesn't take much brain power to work out that somewhere that seems quiet could at anytime turn to somewhere not so quiet considering the thousands of entertainment staff living all over Pattaya.

If I chose to live close to Anfield in a road that i thought would be safe from the noise every other Saturday then some nutter wearing a shell suit, sporting a big curly hair-do and mustache, opens a burger van outside his house next to mine playing "youll never walk alone" from stolen basebin speakers that would be my fault for moving anywhere near that area.

Sure, next time you consider a residential area to live in anywhere in the world, take a look around you and what is close by. Arguably the biggest brothel in the world and more bars then the Big Tiger.

It doesn't take much brain power to work out that somewhere that seems quiet could at anytime turn to somewhere not so quiet considering the thousands of entertainment staff living all over Pattaya.

If I chose to live close to Anfield in a road that i thought would be safe from the noise every other Saturday then some nutter wearing a shell suit, sporting a big curly hair-do and mustache, opens a burger van outside his house next to mine playing "youll never walk alone" from stolen basebin speakers that would be my fault for moving anywhere near that area.

wow i just love short term whats in front of you thinkers

Earplugs?

Anyone have any recommendations regarding earplugs. Comments about price/availability and comfort appreciated.

Brand: 3M

Qty/packing: 200 pair

Price/packing: approx. THB 900

Shop: professional store for safety products/work clothing and shoes (there is one along the Chonburi By-Pass just before the 2nd PTT gas-station. Direction Chonburi - Bangkok on the left)

• 4 months later...

one bar stops and another one opens

now theres the purple flying monkey on Chaiyapruek Rd Jomtien

Wooden building with rock bands 3-4 nights a week

run by a harley bike shop owner

an on 0ccassions we get a visit from the Hollywood music machine truck that sits outside the place and lets it ripp.

Charming and no considerations for the 100's of people living in the 100's of houses and condos in the area.

If you are going to put up a bar then make sure its compliant with the building codes - this one simply doesnt make it and hopefully will be shut down or change its theme.

noise complaints lodged already on 1337 Pattaya complaints line

JJ

Top floor Tukcom: "Noise cancing, mai kop chai, Altec Lansing?" :cheesy:

Sony on the ground floor have one model, ear-bud style, around 3,500 baht.

Powerbuy Tukcom only have cheap Chinese junk. Probably best bet in Pattaya would be Powerbuy in Central, they have some nice things.

Edited by Phil Conners

I get a laugh when I go by the beer bars at the corner of Soi 2 and 2nd Rd., each one has a live band trying to blast the crap they play louder then one next door, are the customers there really having conversations or reading lips, which must be difficult because they are all too sauced to do either

I used to sit in a bar like that sometimes. After a rather short time I would leave,

feeling sorry for the employees (girls) who had to stay there to the bitter end.

Of course we are though rather well paying guests here and therefore I would think deserved some consideration.

But I think Thais are very reluctant to honour a complaint by a farang which would have consequences for an other Thai. And this is a problem which most people are not aware of until being here

and probably have bought some noisy place.

On top of all that, most farangs coming here are at an advanced age, and I know from experience,

noise tolerance decreases with age.

I don't like that crap with earplugs. Very funny to jet half around the globe to get yourself boozed, pluged or cemented in just to get a night's sleep. An advantage LOS is having probably for a long time to come is the

lack of any alternativ place.

I live near a noisy building site, has been so for months and I see that most of the noise generated

could be reduced considerably, but the who the hel_l cares.

People at the source of the noise are concerned rather with deadlines and money and the people in sorrounding

condos have bought and can't do a dam_n thing about it.And I suppose the laws if any would be a matter of money.

Facit we havn't found paradise yet.