Nationwide Building Society Account

Has anyone recently opened a Nationwide account using a Thai address? Or changed from their UK address to a Thai address?

I know this used to be possible, but when I asked them last month to change from my UK to my Thai address they said it was not possible, and they would not send any correspondence to Thailand.

(I know they won't send credit cards to Thailand - but not sending statements seems a bit daft to me.)

Is this a change of policy? Does anyone know?

Has anyone recently opened a Nationwide account using a Thai address? Or changed from their UK address to a Thai address?

I know this used to be possible, but when I asked them last month to change from my UK to my Thai address they said it was not possible, and they would not send any correspondence to Thailand.

(I know they won't send credit cards to Thailand - but not sending statements seems a bit daft to me.)

You 'principal residence' has to be in the UK. If not, you will be directed to Nationwide International (which is OK but they don't appear to do a Flexaccount).

If you have a UK address I see no reason (in principle) why you could not have a Thai correspondence address. However, as the card issuer will not send a card out to Thailand I cannot see the point as there is no need for paper statements if you use the online service.

Unless things have changed in the last month, i still get statments plus circulars to my thai address, been so for 2 years now, NW internet banking said they would not send my new card direct, only to my branch, so i called my branch and they sent card no problem, you can open an off-shore acc but if you have a UK address, should be no problem, if it is, ask the question on NW internet bank.

Im sure it will work out for you, Cheers, Lickey.

Unless things have changed in the last month, i still get statments plus circulars to my thai address, been so for 2 years now, NW internet banking said they would not send my new card direct, only to my branch, so i called my branch and they sent card no problem, you can open an off-shore acc but if you have a UK address, should be no problem, if it is, ask the question on NW internet bank.

Im sure it will work out for you, Cheers, Lickey.

I asked this question to my branch of Nationwide and they said as long as it was my regisistered address they would. Online banking will do away with statememts.

The thing with Nationwide is that their staff do not all sing from the same hymn sheet. You receive conflicting info from local branch/HQ Swindon & call centre's.

I have just spent 3 weeks back in the UK after living in Thailand for 2 years and collected my new Flex account debit card and card reader and cheque book from my branch. They would not send any of those items to my registered address in Thailand and frankly with the reliability of the Thai postal system I would not want them to.

At my branch I had to provide identification and write a new electronic signature for their records.

My Nationwide gold credit card expires next year and I called the NW card centre and asked for a replacement card explaining that I had damaged mine and I would like a replacement card with 3 years on it, they would not agree to that and would only issue a card with next years expiry date on it.

Never mind I will have to do without a credit card for the next few years as I do not plan to visit UK again for sometime.

Edited by phutoie2