Thai Airways Reduce Fares

today , the thai airways website is quoting 138,000b , yes thats 138,000b , for an economy return to london for departure next week returning at the end of the month. (before taxes)

eva do the same trip for 43,500 including taxes , and singapore airlines from bkk (via singapore) to london for 40,500 including taxes (on the new double decker airbus).

what were thai fares before the reduction ?

today , the thai airways website is quoting 138,000b , yes thats 138,000b , for an economy return to london for departure next week returning at the end of the month. (before taxes)

eva do the same trip for 43,500 including taxes , and singapore airlines from bkk (via singapore) to london for 40,500 including taxes (on the new double decker airbus).

Something not right with their website. I just checked Bkk-syd return for Jan and Feb and every fare is 104,000bht.

Hanoi 6250B plus taxes, plus fuel surcharge???

Huuu???, have return Hanoi November Air Asia 5900B all in for TWO :o

Thai airways is NOT on my short list.

I don't see BKK - LAX.

Anyone know the price round trip?

Our advice would be that you should use Air asia on routes they fly IF you are happy with the services of a low cost carrier. You cannot compare them to a full service carrier like Thai but of course the cheapest fare is the best on a short flight. The Thai promo fares are only to those destinations where they need to sell seats, so LAX is not included and nor is the Middle East or Europe except for London! The distrubing factor is that most are cuting their fuel surcharges but Thai as yet are NOT, and this is going to cost them a lot of business 

I have a Thai Air flight due for payment today. The price on the Thai Air website was originally 39,xxx baht, the price booked online (through another forum sponsor) was 36,800. I've been advised the price today has been reduced to 35,500 baht, so I save on the flights 1,300 baht. The price for the same flight on the Thai Air website has now risen to over 100,000 but that could be partly due to the departure date being a lot closer than when I first looked but as most people realise, if you want a cheap flight then the airline websites are usually the last place to look. I think Cathay Pacific is the worst, I can't understand how anyone would even consider purchasing a ticket off their website with the prices being four or five times what a travel agent charges. Cathay are a great airline but their website has put me off looking elsewhere for their flights as well.

I have a Thai Air flight due for payment today. The price on the Thai Air website was originally 39,xxx baht, the price booked online (through another forum sponsor) was 36,800. I've been advised the price today has been reduced to 35,500 baht, so I save on the flights 1,300 baht. The price for the same flight on the Thai Air website has now risen to over 100,000 but that could be partly due to the departure date being a lot closer than when I first looked but as most people realise, if you want a cheap flight then the airline websites are usually the last place to look. I think Cathay Pacific is the worst, I can't understand how anyone would even consider purchasing a ticket off their website with the prices being four or five times what a travel agent charges. Cathay are a great airline but their website has put me off looking elsewhere for their flights as well.

Typical of a certain "third world" mind. Display a price to "shave" your customer, create the fog of war to confuse even more your customers (through many different prices, with several agents) etc.

The third world mind doesn't like light, transparency and efficiency.

Real and modern airlines, not attached to some lunatic asian countries, are using their websites as a real sales leverage, like Emirates for instance. Not like a simple "showcase".

As for the "decrease of fares" with Thai Airways, I seriously doubt.

Thai Airways International (THAI) is bracing for a second straight quarterly loss in the July-September period but says the amount would be less than the 9.25 billion the national carrier lost in the preceding quarter. (Bangkok Post)

http : // bangkokpost.com/031008_Business/03Oct2008_biz40.php

They're deep into the hole... :o

Edited by cclub75

The Cyber Disaster aka thaiairways.com has never ever had real prices on its website. I once thought it was down incompetence but have given into the fact that is must be pride issue.

All airlines do that, including Qantas, SQ and CX. Those fares are full fares.

What I last paid 800$ for TG direct from Tokyo to BKK via agency, was 3800$ on SQ web site, and plane change in Singapore.

Both SQ and TG web sites had only similar high priced tickets available.

The Cyber Disaster aka thaiairways.com has never ever had real prices on its website. I once thought it was down incompetence but have given into the fact that is must be pride issue.

What I last paid 800$ for TG direct from Tokyo to BKK via agency, was 3800$ on SQ web site, and plane change in Singapore.

All airlines? try ba or emirates and even etihad.

[reason for edit, urls removed]

All airlines? try ba.com or emirates.com and even etihad.

Try to understand how it works. Tickets on SQ can be had for less than half of what is quoted the lowest price on their site. For some routes and dates they do it low themselves, for some let agencies use low margin (and inflexible) seats. It's dynamic and hardly predictable to an outsider.

This example is from Nagoya. From Tokyo they quote rock bottom prices that are 10$ higher than cheapest agencies (with same limitations) but with SQ you can choose your seat and meals.

(divide prices quoted by 100 and you get in US$):

post-7277-1223056244_thumb.jpg

I have to agree: A one way flight from Delhi to Bangkok was more than 30,000 baht on the Thai airways website. The same flight - with Thai airways - was 13,000 rupees, or 10,000 baht, on an indian travel website. Something is amiss.

Have to disagree here TTM

Last year bought BKK-CDG on Etihad via agent, 20k + tax, Checked website, same offer, hard to find discounted dates (availability)

Bought second ticket via airline website same year 30K all in, agent had same price, advantage own booking, try dates for seat availablity at a certain price

This year bought early (last days of May) to travel Sep/Oct on their website due to expected fuel increases, paid 35K, a few days later was 37K.

One week before leaving LOS checked their website plus agent website, had promotion 20k ++ again, tried to book and bingo, could have saved me 5k by waiting and booking on their website. Will exactly do that early next year.

But yes, probably not all airline's websites are that good in pricing :o

Edited by tartempion

I guess life deals one his lessons. I booked flights for my wife and daughters on ANA, direct by telephone (web reservations not available in Thailand). They would not accept payment via a credit card; I was told I would have to go to a travel agency to complete the purchase. Odd I thought, but TiT.

Went to a travel agency, explained the situation... the lovely lady explained to me that it would have been less expensive to deal with a travel agency than book directly with the airline! Fortunately she offered to correct the situation, but charged me an additional 2% for using a credit card.

I do not know if I was fleeced or not, but I was not disappointed. 3 seats for the family, one-way, for $2800 US (98K+ baht).... oh yeah, Bkk to IAD (Dulles, Wash DC, USA)

Edited by Gumballl

As there are some travel agents reading this thread I will ask my question here rather than starting a new topic.

What is the reasoning behind the x3, x4 pricing on some airline websites? If people book direct with the airline then wouldn't the airline save money as they don't have to pay commission to travel agents? With e-tickets it's even simpler as now once your payment has been accepted they send you a ticket via e-mail, no paper ticket to deliver or collect.

I don't see why a ticket can be booked for $1000 with a travel agent in person or online, yet the same ticket when booked online with airlines like Thai or Cathay can cost $3000+. Even if you turn up to the airport and buy a ticket from the airline ticket counter a few hours before departure you don't pay anywhere near the prices you see quoted online. Do these airlines not want to do business online? If that's the case then why bother even having a website as no one with half a brain is going to pay thousands of dollars for a basic flight that can easily be purchased everywhere else at less than half the price.

This website is awful.

As a sales tool, which is one of the primary functions of a website, it's sadly lacking and drives custom elsewhere time after time after time. Poor management of a vital resource which is especially important during lean periods (now for example).

As an obvious example; I want to buy a ticket to Phuket, but the Thai website crashes four times on the trot. I try the next day and after several more crashes I finally get a price quoted - the price is unusually high (double my expectation). So, I log onto Airasia's website and quickly get a low price quoted which I book and pay for, problem free.

Over the last five years this has happened to me on more than a dozen occasions. I'm one of a big group of people who want to buy a Thai air ticket, but are driven elsewhere by a disfunctional website. No wonder they are struggling. (Abysmal management in my humble opinion.)

Fortunately she offered to correct the situation, but charged me an additional 2% for using a credit card.

I do not know if I was fleeced or not, but I was not disappointed. 3 seats for the family, one-way, for $2800 US (98K+ baht).... oh yeah, Bkk to IAD (Dulles, Wash DC, USA)

Pretty common in Thailand for a travel agent to charge a fee for using a credit card I've found. My ticket mentioned previously cost +3% however add my cost of travel and my time to go the office to pay in cash and I really wouldn't have saved paying cash.