Switching Visa Types

I need some advice. I currently work at a college teaching full time. Original visa was based on marriage but changed some years ago to non-O based on work. Contract up in end of may. I want to change back to married visa a few months before expiration of Non-O based on work so I do not have to leave country. I also want to get a work permit using the marriage visa prior to June.

Lopburi had indicated to me some months ago in a message that we can change our visa type anytime and do not have to wait until current visa extension expires. My question is this:

1. By going in and changing to married visa before my current visa expires, are we going through all the requirements and paperwork that is giving us the one year extension.

2. Does changing visa types and changing it to the marriage visa non-O 3 months before expiration of the current visa cancel my current work permit to finish out the current contract which expires on May 31st?

I would appreciate it if you can guide me Lopbury or any one knowledgeable in this area. Even though I have changed my Non-o visa type, I have never left the country for 10 years except on two re-entry permits.

I reason I am considering the change is that I want to apply for a work permit based on non-O for marriage and get a new work permit to work at another college before the term starts in June 2009 and my current contract expires in May 2009. Thank for any knowledgeable help.

I need some advice. I currently work at a college teaching full time. Original visa was based on marriage but changed some years ago to non-O based on work. Contract up in end of may. I want to change back to married visa a few months before expiration of Non-O based on work so I do not have to leave country. I also want to get a work permit using the marriage visa prior to June.

Are you on a non-o or do you mean non-b. If its non-o I think you are on a marriage visa already and have used a work permit income to meet the income requirements for a non-o based upon marriage.

Lopburi had indicated to me some months ago in a message that we can change our visa type anytime and do not have to wait until current visa extension expires. My question is this:

1. By going in and changing to married visa before my current visa expires, are we going through all the requirements and paperwork that is giving us the one year extension.

When you make a change of visa status you also apply for an extension.

2. Does changing visa types and changing it to the marriage visa non-O 3 months before expiration of the current visa cancel my current work permit to finish out the current contract which expires on May 31st?

No affect on work permit.

I would appreciate it if you can guide me Lopbury or any one knowledgeable in this area. Even though I have changed my Non-o visa type, I have never left the country for 10 years except on two re-entry permits.

I reason I am considering the change is that I want to apply for a work permit based on non-O for marriage and get a new work permit to work at another college before the term starts in June 2009 and my current contract expires in May 2009. Thank for any knowledgeable help.

A lot will depend on what type of visa you have now if its a non-o already just wait and get the extension before the old one expires.

1. You do not apply for a change of visa. You apply for an extension of stay, but change the reason for your extension. You will have to qualify for the extension of stay for a marriage.

You can apply for an extension of stay from 30 days before your current permission of stay expires. If your job is canceled before that time, than just try it before your job is cancelled.

2. No, your Wp will not be cancelled, as you are allowed to stay and also allowed to work on an extension of stay bsed on marriage. Your WP will be cancelled when you are out of a job.