Altitude Of Chiang Mai

PeaceBlondie

I like the latitude here, about 19 degrees north. We have a good attitude. But how high are we?

When my friends visited from lower San Antonio last month, they thought they had come down with altitude sickness. However, my tech courses from 1961 tell me we are just not that high. Now some lowlander in southern Thailand says I need to adjust my carburetor for the [extremely high] altitude here. Okay, so I also am a lowly lowlander, but I've crossed the continental divide in Colorado and Chihuahua, and I do not think Chiang Mai is high. Doi Suthep or Doi Inthanon or Doi Boy, maybe. But at the feet of the 3 kings monument downtown, how high is the muang?

A beautiful warm day at the airport 1030 feet above the sea level.....as long as there is no tsunami.

Chiang Mai, TH (Airport)

Updated: 19 min 56 sec ago

Partly Cloudy

81 °F / 27 °C

Partly Cloudy

Humidity: 79%

Dew Point: 73 °F / 23 °C

Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h / 1.5 m/s from the NNE

Pressure: 29.83 in / 1010 hPa (Steady)

Heat Index: 85 °F / 30 °C

Visibility: 6.2 miles / 10.0 kilometers

UV: 8 out of 16

Clouds:

Few 3000 ft / 914 m

(Above Ground Level)

Elevation: 1030 ft / 314 m

Rapid Fire Updates:

Enable Disable

» Weather History for This Location

Satellite Webcam

Click Image to Enlarge

WunderMap new!

Trip Planner Trip Planner

Select a source for your current conditions:

Edited by harrry

Lat/Long: 18.766847 N / 98.962644 E

Elevation: 1036 feet (316 meters)

Time Zone: UTC+7

Max Runway: 10171 x 148 feet (3100 x 45 meters)

Surface: ASPHALT

Airfield elevation is 316 meters

Going over the map ( google earth) gives about the same for the Muang.

Nothing dramatic. Unless San Antonio is way below sea level.... so they could feel that difference... ( donot think so)

Doi Suthep is about a 1000 meters.

I like the latitude here, about 19 degrees north. We have a good attitude. But how high are we?

When my friends visited from lower San Antonio last month, they thought they had come down with altitude sickness. However, my tech courses from 1961 tell me we are just not that high. Now some lowlander in southern Thailand says I need to adjust my carburetor for the [extremely high] altitude here. Okay, so I also am a lowly lowlander, but I've crossed the continental divide in Colorado and Chihuahua, and I do not think Chiang Mai is high. Doi Suthep or Doi Inthanon or Doi Boy, maybe. But at the feet of the 3 kings monument downtown, how high is the muang?

Peace, Blondie.

Perhaps your friends were suffering from "air quality sickness".

People being a bit goofy, I think. CNX is about the same elevation as Phoenix, and just a bit more than San Antone, no effect really.

I went to college in Santa Fe, and even though I was 18-21 at the time, it took me a good couple of months to get acclimatized when returning every year, being from sea level (Boston). It sure was cheap to get drunk though, when just going up to 7000 ft from sea level, 6 beers and you're toast!

None of the boys at Doi Boy were as tall as I am. My friends are from the coastal plains, my daughter lives within a mile of the Balcones Fault line, and my son lives in the Hill Country, but I think only the younger children got high.

Thanks to one and all. 314 meters, about 1,040 feet above mean sea level here along my klong.

Actually, if my friend was suffering from air quality sickness, it was caused by spending the prior week near Sala Daeng, in....Badcock.

PB, Here is a profile of the road up to Doi Suthep ending at the stairs leading up to the Wat from my bike's GPS. The descent profile is different as I can go down a lot faster than peddling up, and the GPS loses track. The summit of Doi Pui is another 2000 feet higher at about 5500 feet MSL if memory serves me right. There is a lot more mountain up above Doi Suthep!

post-498-1223092274_thumb.jpg

People being a bit goofy, I think. CNX is about the same elevation as Phoenix, and just a bit more than San Antone, no effect really.

I went to college in Santa Fe, and even though I was 18-21 at the time, it took me a good couple of months to get acclimatized when returning every year, being from sea level (Boston). It sure was cheap to get drunk though, when just going up to 7000 ft from sea level, 6 beers and you're toast!

Phoenix is alittle bit higher...1100' ( give'er take..)

When I first arrived here from Phoenix, it was the humidty that made me suck for air, not the altitude.

I took this pic at Doi Inthanon earlier this year.

post-35173-1223100480_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Rick

8000 feet is the normal benchmark for the potential of getting altitude sickness but can be as low as 6500 feet. The comment on air quality is one possibility, though it's not that bad now, and another is jet lag which can give similar symptoms. More chance of getting altitude sickness on a long haul flight on a commercial airliner. :o

Spent some time in Denver, aka "mile high city" and did not experience any. However, the mountain ranges around it that I went up did though not as much as it would if I didn't acclimate for a while in Denver.

Thanks again, y'all. In Mexico I lived at sea level, then would go to 2,100 meters, and visit villages at 1,400. From the deck of my pool the sea was 60 meters away, and a 4,000 meter peak was within sight. I never thought Chiang Mai was high. I think my friend from lower San Antonio had the doggone, Ding Daeng, Sala Daeng pollution blues. Not the Hang Dong or Mae Hong Son blues.

I think my friend from lower San Antonio had the doggone, Ding Daeng, Sala Daeng pollution blues. Not the Hang Dong or Mae Hong Son blues.

that is awful.. you really a writer?

name your work/novels so we can all go out, buy and read 'em... (and critisize 'em :o )

by the why, where the <deleted> is 'Doi Boy' :D

it's a genuine enquiry - i would like to know of your 'work'

you can PM me if you dont want others to know who you are in the literary world... (i won't tell) :D

PB, I'm In Cuenca Ecuador now at 8310 ft. I had Altitude sickness for two days here, headaches, trouble breathing, not sleeping well. Never had the 4 years

I stayed in Chiang Mai.

Rx: Coca leaves and an orange. :D

Coca Leaves I can understand, but how do you smoke an orange ?

:o

PB, I'm In Cuenca Ecuador now at 8310 ft. I had Altitude sickness for two days here, headaches, trouble breathing, not sleeping well. Never had the 4 years

I stayed in Chiang Mai.

Rx: Coca leaves and an orange. :D

Coca Leaves I can understand, but how do you smoke an orange ?

:D

Naw, not to smoke...

Chew the leaves and eat the orange...citric acid releases the stimulant in the leaves.

( at least that's what I have been told ) :o

Not to incriminate myself but if you remember the song that says "You put the lime in the coco nut, then you feel better..." The leaves are sharp eged like holly leaves and the lime softens them so as not to cut the inside of one's mouth. Lots of scar tissue inside the mouths of the frequent chewers. Who wrote that song? Harry Nilsson

Edited by bunta71