Sunrise Tacos Closed Down

dantilley

Went to the original Soi 12 Sunrise Tacos branch today only to find the place has been cleared out, seats, counter, kitchen and all - just an empty shell left! Of course, the larger branch opposite is still open, but I actually used to prefer the original smaller place, sitting up at the counter against the window reading the paper or watching the comings and goings outside, tacos served in a basket, etc. - it had a kind of cosier atmosphere.

I guess it was an inevitable consequence - with the big place directly opposite I guess there was no need to rent out the smaller unit as well. What's going in its place, anyway? Another Sunbelt business or is it up for lease, with the new tennant as yet undecided?

The lady who I always used to see in the "taco stand" place - slightly older Philippino lady, not sure of her name - is now working at the restaurant across the road. She seems to do a lot of the cooking and taco preparation, so the food should be of the same standard across the way, at least when she's working anyway.

About the service - I know what you mean, with the larger, busier restaurant, things take a bit longer. Was waiting about 20 minutes yesterday for my food, which, though a bit slow, isn't too bad by normal restaurant standards. But in the taco stand it would have taken 5 minutes at the most.

• 2 weeks later...
Went to the original Soi 12 Sunrise Tacos branch today only to find the place has been cleared out, seats, counter, kitchen and all - just an empty shell left! Of course, the larger branch opposite is still open, but I actually used to prefer the original smaller place, sitting up at the counter against the window reading the paper or watching the comings and goings outside, tacos served in a basket, etc. - it had a kind of cosier atmosphere.

I guess it was an inevitable consequence - with the big place directly opposite I guess there was no need to rent out the smaller unit as well. What's going in its place, anyway? Another Sunbelt business or is it up for lease, with the new tennant as yet undecided?

With the lease being 60,000 Baht per month, electric of 40,000 Baht and having 60,000 in additional labor, always just made sense to combine the two stores as 90% of the trade at the smaller location was for delivery and overflow seating.. It we could combine,lower our costs and still have almost the same daily sales volume for the two stores before, it clearly would make the most economic sense to do it. It has turned out to be a smart move. Judging from the comment cards it has been a good hit with clients as well, we are getting even higher marks for the quality of food and service. We still do take out and have a small wait area in the larger location.

The original plan was to put a Subway Shop in the smaller location. However we could not get around a new clause with the landlord that they could kick us out with a 90 day notice if they sold the land or build a hotel which would make a 3 year lease not even three years. The key is the beginning of the third year as my other leases still have two years remaining.

French guy named Mark and his Thai wife who owns a restaurant in Koh Samui had said he was willing to take the chance and will be opening a French to go concept. The odds are high no building of a hotel will happen anytime soon, so he should be ok. I win as I lowered my cost and was able to get move out money from him. He wins as he gets a good location to introduce his second branch to Bangkok. He should be open in a couple weeks.

By the way, our Emporium location on the fifth floor has been renovated and reopened on the 16th of October. We have enchiladas there now and it has been one of the top choices for our guests. Have our own waitstaff now and good remarks on the service as well.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Edited by Sunbelt Asia