Marina In Big Buddha Area

To start with, please do not shoot the messenger (there are plenty of others who say they want to do that to me and they have nothing to do with a marina).

I have been hoping for a marina on Samui for a long time and know there has been a lot of meetings and discussion etc. Well, I just received this invitation today to attend a meeting on 16 October at Plai Laem temple to discus the possibility of putting a marina in the area next to Big Buddha.

Marina_invite.jpg

The Letter was issued by director general of marine department and is an open letter.

It would be good for the island if it could happen. If you can help by getting as many supporters to the meeting, please do so. I am sure there will be some objections so the more supporters the better.

It may never happen, but we have to keep trying.

Cheers

Edited by bbcsamui

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the end it won't make much differdence how many attend this meeting, what is important is if influential local and national politicians and members of powerful clans support this.

If enough money can be creamed off and it can be shared around enough amongst "right" people this will go ahead.

It will be good for samui.

Isn't there a marina (Seatran) already?

one in Mae Nam, 2 in Nathon, one in Laem Chon Kwam.. how many more concrete rubbish Samui "needs" on it's beaches? - one for everyone who believes to be fit enough to take of with some sort of marine vessel, would that do?

Edited by Samuian

one in Mae Nam, 2 in Nathon, one in Laem Chon Kwam.. how many more concrete rubbish Samui "needs" on it's beaches? - one for everyone who believes to be fit enough to take of with some sort of marine vessel, would that do?

There are no real marinas on Samui. There are many piers / jetty's etc but no marinas. A marina has the ability to safely berth boats of all sizes 24 hours a day. Generally they are floating pontoon style and give easy access to the vessel, easy fueling and water and in some instances can take away the sewerage from boats and sometimes have facilities for painting and servicing etc. The one proposed for Big Buddha area (I believe) is probably 80% - ie has berthing, fueling, water and parking but limited other facilities.

There are no real marinas on Samui. There are many piers / jetty's etc but no marinas. A marina has the ability to safely berth boats of all sizes 24 hours a day. Generally they are floating pontoon style and give easy access to the vessel, easy fueling and water and in some instances can take away the sewerage from boats and sometimes have facilities for painting and servicing etc. The one proposed for Big Buddha area (I believe) is probably 80% - ie has berthing, fueling, water and parking but limited other facilities.

Hey, i dont want to highjack your thread bbc, i usually agree with your postings, but in this case....

I probably miss a very important point with this marina thing, but in big buddha area, putting up "more concrete rubbish" as samuian said, is this something that really is "good for samui"??? :o

Please stop destroying the island. Especially the beutiful areas like big buddha. True, we dont have a real marina, with 24 hours ability to berth big ships. So what?? Do this small island need to have everything?

Sorry bbc, dont get this at all.

There are no real marinas on Samui. There are many piers / jetty's etc but no marinas.

Shouldn't it then be looked into how to modify existing facilities!?

I am a long time Mae Nam Resident and DO KNOW TOO well about the terrible changes the Lomprayah Catamaran has brought to a big part of the beach, nay not only to the beach but the entire area the Road is passing through!

The Minibuses have to be slowed down by speed breakers, the extra pollution is incredible, the deterioration of the general quality of living has decreased a lot!

So why the heck to introduce ever more whatever so called "technical achievements" to this once so pristine and genuinly beautiful island?

Shouldn't we all in our very own interest look out for making this a better place - or is it just all about commerce and quick money?

It is possible, the magic is "sustainable, green, Eco-tourism and development" before it's too late and I think, because of what I see, the patient is on his way to the ICU already!

We have to rethink, remodel, recycle, engineering the avoidance of the ever increasing garbage mountain, the concrete jungle and the excessive "development" as urban sprawl - and get organized, educate the people....this way we will ALL prosper and be able to enjoy this islands, the regions beauty for a long time comin' or suffer soon the dire consequences!

I am involved in the tourism trade since many years and very concerned!

it'll be a good opportunity for your restaurant wich is just beside the "future marina" but exept those involved in business near this potential location, i think everyone will be against that and maybe the monks also if it's too close to their temple.

i'm not interested into this neither.

80% on paper means 50 % (max) in reality. So why do it at all ?

I only sent out the letter. Feel free to go to the meeting and hear what they are proposing. And feel free to object to it or support it.

I too am concerned about many aspects of it but believe we need a proper marina somewhere on Samui. I have a yacht that needs a decent mooring, needs a decent pier for customers, for fuel, for water etc. That is more of an interest to me than having it near my restaurant (or not).

I will be at the meeting. Perhaps I will see you there.

I only sent out the letter. Feel free to go to the meeting and hear what they are proposing. And feel free to object to it or support it.

Don't worry BBC. I'm 100% certain that not a single person from this thread will show up to protest. It's easier to sit at home and object from behind a keyboard than to actually take action.

It's time for Koh Samui to have a "real" marina, may be small, because not so many leisure boats on the island and a lot of business speedboats. But the birth of a marina will be useful for both tourists and residents and will improve the 'rich' turism in the island local government love so much.

And when I go in Samui with my boat, may be I'll find a safe berth and not a middle-of-the-sea one...

Im with bbc on this one I think the island needs a marina, it doesn't have to be a mass of concrete a marina if done properly will benefit the island.

I agree. We need a proper Marina.

Difficult to think how this particular place could be further ruined, with:

A pier with only one useable side because the other half is on a dead coral reef, (great planning).

A market, with all the refuse being dumped straight into the water channel.

All the excrement and other waste from the bars and "temporary" accommodation going straight into the nearby Klong.

And the tribute to architectural idiocy with the huge white inappropriate flat roofed buildings dominating the whole scene.

OK, the flat roofed buildings are here for a short while but the rest of the area would be vastly improved with a clean, well run

marina.

Thank you BBC for bringing this letter to everyones attention. I will attend the meeting.

Bring on the Sunseekers! :o:D

What time is the meeting as I cannot read it from the scanned document?

I am one of those who believe Koh Samui needs a proper Marina although whether this location is right I am not sure, but will try and be at the meeting to get further information before criticising.

I live further down Bangrak where a lot of boats drop anchor as well as other crap I'm sure. The beach & water here might improve if more of those boats move away to a marina. Of course the ones operating from the piers will continue to force beachcombers to breathe the noxious fuel fumes. Blech.

What time is the meeting as I cannot read it from the scanned document?

I am one of those who believe Koh Samui needs a proper Marina although whether this location is right I am not sure, but will try and be at the meeting to get further information before criticising.

The meeting is 08.30 - 11.30. If anyone requires the original 1.6 MB file, please go to the following link and click on the picture to download the pdf file. Marina invite

(admin - I was not sure how to get this large file accessible to all. If you do not want me to have it on my site, that is fine with me just show me how to do it without the link).

for those of you who don't read Thai. and its a pity... the letter does not reference a Marina but a sport or a support pier. not really clear what it is but definitely it does not say Marina.

this is a government project and as such required by law to take steps for it to be approved. there are 3 companies listed as having made some preliminary design to this project.

this is an invitation to the public sent out to examine the option of doing such a pier (hopefully marina) and to study the public local reaction to such a project.

spoke with the marine police chief last night and he says that this meeting is just a first step. to be followed by a proper environment impact study, design, costing, contractor bidding, and budgeting. and that the normal time frame for this based on other such projects is 4-5 years. providing all those steps are completed and approved :o

for those of you who don't read Thai. and its a pity... the letter does not reference a Marina but a sport or a support pier. not really clear what it is but definitely it does not say Marina.

this is a government project and as such required by law to take steps for it to be approved. there are 3 companies listed as having made some preliminary design to this project.

this is an invitation to the public sent out to examine the option of doing such a pier (hopefully marina) and to study the public local reaction to such a project.

spoke with the marine police chief last night and he says that this meeting is just a first step. to be followed by a proper environment impact study, design, costing, contractor bidding, and budgeting. and that the normal time frame for this based on other such projects is 4-5 years. providing all those steps are completed and approved :o

Thanks for info HD. I suppose it will all come down to a definition as to what the authorities see as a sport pier.

It is a pity that we don't all speak Thai, I am far to stupid to learn, but perhaps they meant something that would equate to a Marina.

I guess we will all find out when we attend the meeting. :D

I have been given a hard copy of the plans proposed by one of the 3 different parties. The plans definitely look like a marina with up to 100 berths within floating pontoon style "marina". I would put them up here but am not sure they are still relevant as they were given to me about 5 months ago and also it is not my place to disclose them. If they are still on the table then they will be at the meeting next week.

The person who gave me the plans in May stated the following in an email to me as well "My next working step is to submit the report to Marine Department, schedule before the end of this month. Follow by public seminar in Bangkok and other marina areas, i.e. Samui and Pattaya, by one and a half month later. Regarding to the construction it might start in 2009 budgeting year, start from Oct 2009 onward."

We all know that things take longer than expected some time. But if the process is not started some time, then we will never get a marina here.

Not sure if this is relevant but there was something in the Soddom and Gommorrah....I mean the Pattaya forum about a marina meeting and and approval at Jomtein and it said something about a group wnating to build 4 marinas for top end boats in Thailand one of which was in your area.

Plans to build a 680 Million Baht Marina near the Bali Hai Port.

On Tuesday Morning at Pattaya City Hall, Khun Itipon, the Mayor of Pattaya chaired a meeting in Conference Room 401 to discuss plans for the construction of a Marina close to the Bali Hai Port at the south end of Pattaya Beach. The Marine Department from Bangkok in cooperation with private sector investors have formulated a plan to construct 4 Marinas in key areas around Thailand to facilitate Luxury Yachts and larger Ocean Liners. Two will be located in the Andaman Sea area and two will be located in the Gulf of Thailand at Sura Thani Province and here in Pattaya. Khun Itipon and other delegates were presented with the plans for the Marina which will be located on the new road constructed South of the existing Bali Hai Port. The project will cost around 680 Million Baht and was given a comprehensive thumbs-up from the Pattaya Administration. Construction is expected to begin in 2009.

Pattaya One News

Tuesday 7th October 2008.

Reduced 31%

Attached Image

288 x 224 (17.49K)

Reduced 31%

Attached Image

288 x 224 (22.87K)

Edited by harrry

Not sure if this is relevant but there was something in the Soddom and Gommorrah....I mean the Pattaya forum about a marina meeting and and approval at Jomtein and it said something about a group wnating to build 4 marinas for top end boats in Thailand one of which was in your area.

Plans to build a 680 Million Baht Marina near the Bali Hai Port.

On Tuesday Morning at Pattaya City Hall, Khun Itipon, the Mayor of Pattaya chaired a meeting in Conference Room 401 to discuss plans for the construction of a Marina close to the Bali Hai Port at the south end of Pattaya Beach. The Marine Department from Bangkok in cooperation with private sector investors have formulated a plan to construct 4 Marinas in key areas around Thailand to facilitate Luxury Yachts and larger Ocean Liners. Two will be located in the Andaman Sea area and two will be located in the Gulf of Thailand at Sura Thani Province and here in Pattaya. Khun Itipon and other delegates were presented with the plans for the Marina which will be located on the new road constructed South of the existing Bali Hai Port. The project will cost around 680 Million Baht and was given a comprehensive thumbs-up from the Pattaya Administration. Construction is expected to begin in 2009.

Pattaya One News

Tuesday 7th October 2008.

Reduced 31%

Attached Image

288 x 224 (17.49K)

Reduced 31%

Attached Image

288 x 224 (22.87K)

/quote]

It would be interesting to see how much dredging/channelling would need to be done to allow a "large liner" to get any where near the Samui shoreline. Sounds like a proposed environmental disaster! :o

It would be interesting to see how much dredging/channelling would need to be done to allow a "large liner" to get any where near the Samui shoreline. Sounds like a proposed environmental disaster! :o

Could not agree more gatorador! Spot on!

Now, how do we get these boys to jump of the high-horse and get back to the simple torpical life? Or maybe move to saint tropez, rather than moving that shit over here...

Justinne Hennin living here, Sven-Göran Ericsson building here, Beckhams house is close to finiched, and now offcourse we need a marina for the yachts. What is happening to my favorite spot in the world?

Ohh you guys with your toys! Or replacement for the small.....

Sorry, had to do it.. :D

***response deleted**

back to the thread

it is a pity that in this thread posted by the OP there has been so much debate and assumptions as well as speculations with out anyone reading the actual invitation that the OP has posted.

well i guess its non relevant is it?? :o

My understanding is that there is no direct Thai translation for Marina. And the letter specifies a pier for sailing yachts, motor yachts, sports and recreation - which is closer to my view of a marina than a ferry pier which has a totally different name in Thai.

Edited by bbcsamui

I would welcome a marina or "sport pier". The road out to Big B is one of the worst on the island after a lot of rain and that small lagoon is full of garbage.

Edited by koheesti

A marina in Bangrak would ofcourse need a lot of dredging and this would have enviromental impact but it is actually the best place for it for a number of reasons, one of which would be that it may infact have less enviromental impact than many think, considerably less than most other areas around the island.

The area to the left of the temple where the seatran pier is a great natural harbour. It is however very shallow so there will need to be much dredging, I think we all remember the pier being unusable for many months after completion due to it being too shallow. Anyway around this particular area there is little coral unlike the area to the right of the temple. The seabed is very muddy and certainly also already very dirty and polluted from all the fishing boats by the market. Looking at the filth there is disgusting, remeber for many coming for KPG or Tao this is the first view of the island. Nice!

A marina in this area would be much better than in the south where it is far less spoilt and there is also much more coral. Bang Rak is one of few areas on the island where there is little coral. The muddy bottom would also make dredging much easier as taking away mud is much easier than carving away at coral.

I think samui will certainly one day see a marina. It is possible that if done in the right way it could actually benefit marine species. The seabed in the area at present is pretty barren, clarity of water is also some of the worst on the island, due to the silt. when building a marina there will be protective arms built around the sides, these often use boulders and rock which can provide great habitat for all types of fish, crustaceans and many other species of marine life. It could become an artificial reef. Around the world many pleasure fisherman benefit from harbours and marinas, the enviroment here doesn't suit all species, but some thrive, eg mullet, crabs, shrimp.

Samui needs a marina, and it is inevitable that one will be built sooner or later, personally I think bang rak is by far the best location, it is close to the marine park where the KPG and Koh tao the two other populated islands that boat owners may wish to visit. Also if a marina is to be built I think it's better built in an area that is already pretty degraded ecologicallly speaking than in somewhere that is more pristine (not that there is anywhere even close to pristine on the island).

There were about 5 farangs and 80 Thais at the meeting.

The location is shown below. I will scan the rest of the documents etc and have them available later.

Govt_marina_16_Oct_6b.jpg

The Estimated cost is THB644.5 million.

The Breakwater is situated where the existing dead reef is.

I am not sure I am totally happy with it being right there in front of my house and restaurant - especially during the construction. But I am fully in favour of a marina on Samui and if this is the only option, then I support it.

More information to come...