Is It Crazy To Bring A Chainsaw In To Thailand?

I'm returning from overseas to my home in Thailand - will be coming in to SUV airport.

I've heard that chainsaws are frowned upon (illegal?) in Thailand - though have seen them used.

I have rural land in Thailand, and am considering bringing a small saw in - no gas in the tank. Do you think that would get me in trouble at customs?

I've thought of the same thing. Every time I have come through SUV, nobody even gives me a look.

To be on the safe side, I have thought of shipping in the chain, bar & plastic housing & carrying in the engine. Or having a traveling companion bring in the pieces & me the engine. In this instance, all either person has is parts.

As an aside, I actually saw one for sale in a shop in Mukdahan just 3 days ago. A Chinese brand (according to the shop keeper) ACTS or something like that. It only had a 12" bar, cost 8000Bt. I may go back & inspect further. If it starts every time, I may just buy it.

I'm returning from overseas to my home in Thailand - will be coming in to SUV airport.

I've heard that chainsaws are frowned upon (illegal?) in Thailand - though have seen them used.

I have rural land in Thailand, and am considering bringing a small saw in - no gas in the tank. Do you think that would get me in trouble at customs?

Just a warning, no gas in the tank is not enough, the fumes/residue is considered to be explosive.

There is a `possibility` that the airline will ask for a certificate, given to you by for instance the fire department that the tank has been rinsed/filled with CO2 and is now considered to be non explosive.

I had a problem bringing a brand new one on the plane for the same reason, I could convince them by showing the bill and let them smell the open tank, which had never been filled.

This was not to Thailand by the way, but I cannot think of a reason why importing a chainsaw shouldn't be allowed.

Good luck

Can't you just buy one, say from homepro? Come to think of it, I never see one in homepro before.

I've never seen one in Home Pro, Home Mart, Home Place, Global House or any other big box home improvement store. That's why I was so surprised to see one in this small shop.

By the way, I don't believe they are illegal. Rumor has it in these parts (Issan) that you have to get a permit from the BIB.

You may have problem with the airline to check-in the gas powered chainsaw unless it is new and never filled. Don't forget that all baggage is x-rayed so if you don't declare it at check-in you could have a big problem with security at departure (or transfer) airport.

You can try but do not bring a chain saw to Thailand as customs if they do find it will confiscate it. I have in a sea container and it was taken away.

Since chainsaws are illegal in Thailand, why would you even want to take the chance?
Petrol chain saws are openly on sale in stores where I live in Buriram Province. I was told that permission from the police is needed to use one but I don't believe it to be true as I see them used often. I am under the belief that the felling of trees on Sor Bor Kor land is a punishable offence with ot without a chain saw.

Chainsaws (petrol or electric) are illegal to operate in Thailand without a specific license to fell certain trees (bai ahnooyat).

On the flip side of the coin, I wouldn't be suprised if the customs official raises an eyebrow about carying a chainsaw amongst personal items. Sicko! :o

Chainsaws (petrol or electric) are illegal to operate in Thailand without a specific license to fell certain trees (bai ahnooyat).

On the flip side of the coin, I wouldn't be suprised if the customs official raises an eyebrow about carying a chainsaw amongst personal items. Sicko! :o

If they are illegal why are they openly on sale ? Or is it that once you obtain one you have to apply for a licence ? I would think it that you get the licence first ? Edited by coventry

If they are illegal why are they openly on sale ? Or is it that once you obtain one you have to apply for a licence ? I would think it that you get the licence first ?

"are illegal to operate"

not, AKAIK illegal to own, however, I'd check up on that to be on the safe side. :D

and yes, you have to apply for the license to operate one befor you use it. :D

Cheers.

If they are illegal why are they openly on sale ? Or is it that once you obtain one you have to apply for a licence ? I would think it that you get the licence first ?

You should know never to apply logic to a situation in Thailand.

If they followed that logic then they'd have to ask for licences before selling motorcy or cars and that would mean a 50% decrease in th amount of vehicles on the roads :o

Soundman is correct here. I am not sure whether owning, selling, operating or all of the above lands you in trouble, but the import without license for sure does.

This law has been thought up as a measure against illegal logging from what I heard.

Because of illegal logging I'm sure there will be questions.

I am certain this is the reasoning, however faulty I believe it to be. If we were to follow this line of “reasoning” then knives would be illegal (people stab people), matches would be illegal (arsonists exist), maybe even leather boots out to be outlawed b/c people have been kicked. Sorry, this type of thinking is lunacy (to me) and so controlling. I could hardly believe it when my significant other told me I too could not have one (in Isaan) because the police won’t allow it. Rather mind boggling to think about. Where’s the logic?????

Cheers,

thanks for all the replies. In lieu of the responses, I won't bring one back - but may see about getting hold of one in Thailand - and then getting the BIB (police) to give me the Ok to use it.

Hey Scarface, just hire a few local boys to do your dirty work.

My woodcarver friend from Chiang Mai uses one when carving large items. He is often commissioned by various temples to carve religious objects. He buys his logs and does not use the saw for harvesting. I have bought Kwan Yins and custom wood portraits (copied from photos) from him.

Because of illegal logging I'm sure there will be questions.

I am certain this is the reasoning, however faulty I believe it to be. If we were to follow this line of “reasoning” then knives would be illegal (people stab people), matches would be illegal (arsonists exist), maybe even leather boots out to be outlawed b/c people have been kicked. Sorry, this type of thinking is lunacy (to me) and so controlling. I could hardly believe it when my significant other told me I too could not have one (in Isaan) because the police won’t allow it. Rather mind boggling to think about. Where’s the logic?????

Cheers,

imagine if chainsaws were ubiquitous in LOS - trees would get felled all over the place - it would be havoc for forests! it's good that c.saw ownership is tightly controled here.

Edited by brahmburgers

brahm-

i have heard that there is a chainsaw shop in c. rai... but also that you need a permit to use it. but i don't imagine it should be that hard to get for a farang who wants to simply clear some little stuff from his land.

the law is to prevent illegal log poaching etc.

• 2 weeks later...

A swedish buddy of mine in Hua Hin smuggled one in for that very reason.

Could not buy in the shops so imported it in a container.