Study Reveals What We Love, And Hate, About Flying

peter991

Study reveals what we love, and hate, about flying

ALMOST 75 per cent of passengers would like to change their seats once they have boarded their aircraft, while only 3 per cent say an attractive flight attendant is important.

These are just two of the many findings in a global survey released by Melbourne market intelligence firm Synovate, The Australian reports.

The survey of more than 10,000 travellers across 13 markets also found that 56 per cent of passengers rated "getting there quickly and easily" as the best thing about air travel.

Synovate's survey was focused on the pleasure and pain of air travel – whether passengers liked sitting next to chatty passengers or how they dealt with the frustration of other passengers' children.

For the overwhelming majority in the US it's all about getting from A to B, with 84 per cent choosing. "It's fast and it gets me where I need to be quickly" is the thing they most like about air travel.

Sheri Lambert, senior vice-president of travel and leisure for Synovate, said it was critical for air travel to be convenient.

"Air travel in the US is largely transactional," Lambert said. "It's about getting where you are going with as little fuss as possible. This is mainly because the scale of the American air system is enormous, and so many people travel for work or business that it's nearly as common as taking a bus."

But at the other end of the scale, 42 per cent of Egyptians said their greatest pleasure in flying was just "being served".

Synovate's managing director for Egypt, Tamer el-Naggar, put perspective on that need, saying: "Air travel is a big thing for Egyptians and the prestige associated with it becomes anexpectation. Getting on board an airplane and being looked after is a very much sought-after luxury."

Seat swappers and whingers

But not surprisingly it was the seat that passengers are trapped in for up to 15 hours that was of most concern to passengers.

Synovate says 89 per cent of Taiwanese, 87 per cent of Americans, 84 per cent of Thais and 83 per cent of British travellers agreed they would appreciate a seat swap if they were less than thrilled with where they were asked to park their posteriors.

Least fussy were the Filipinos, with only 64 per cent agreeing that the seat was important.

Overall, 41 per cent said they were "really fussy about my seat, and a bad one can ruin my flight experience", and 75 per cent said "I would like to have an option which allowed me to change seats if I was unhappy".

Changing seats onboard would be bedlam for airlines, according to Lambert.

"It's one thing to not like your seat when you are on a short 45-minute flight, most of us can deal with that. But it's entirely another thing when you are cramped and miserable travelling farther afield."

But sometimes cultural issues are a major factor with seating. Some of the Thai respondents' trepidation about seating can beattributed to culture, suggests Synovate managing director for Thailand, Steven Britton.

"One of the things you are taught in Thailand – and is reinforced all the time when you are growing up – is that you should not step over people," he says. "Thais will do nearly anything to avoid this. Airline seats are so tightly packed together in economy that a Thai stuck in a window seat would probably refrain from visiting the bathroom for hours rather than step over several people."

According to Scott Lee, executive director of Synovate in Hong Kong, the crux of the issue for Hong Kong air travellers is forced intimacy.

"Sharing your personal space with strangers is not something that many people look forward to," Lee says. "Still, air travellers in some markets seem quite OK with it – perhaps even relishing the chance to meet new people – while people in other markets like Hong Kong seem to want to shut down and avoid others."

Men, not screaming children, the problem

The Synovate study asked people to agree or disagree with a series of statements, one of which was: "I prefer sitting next to someone of my own sex".

Overall, a little over one-third of respondents agreed with this.

The highest "agrees" were from Hong Kong, at 65 per cent.

When the figure was broken down by gender, Synovate found that women were far more likely to answer in the affirmative than men.

Forty-four per cent of all women travellers said they wanted to sit next to someone of their own gender, while only 24 per cent of men did.

"There are a couple of factors at work here," Lee says.

"One may be awkwardness between men and women – in some markets, sexual tension, and in others, related to religion – plus it must be said that men seem to always take the arm restand as much leg room as possible, often without thinking about it. No wonder women want to avoid us."

The Synovate survey found that most air travellers were not irritated by having to sit next to children.

Two-thirds of respondents disagreed with the statement "I get frustrated when sitting next to or near children".

Britons were the most intolerant, with 55 per cent agreeing that they find sitting near the smallest travellers frustrating.

Least likely to get frustrated were Germans, with only 15 per cent agreeing.

Synovate also found that the harder economic times would not stop people travelling but would turn them into bargain hunters.

Across the markets surveyed, Synovate asked travellers to choose one answer that best summed up the effect of fuel surcharges and increased costs of air travel for their situation.

The most frequent answer – delivered by 39 per cent of those surveyed – was: "I would consider looking for airlines offering cheaper flights."

Pertinent for Qantas was a finding that where a national carrier was strong on reputation and service, passengers' expectations were higher.

Another interesting finding was that 63 per cent of air travellers preferred window seats, while for only 3 per cent the thing they most liked about flying was "attractive flight attendants".

Study reveals what we love, and hate, about flying

ALMOST 75 per cent of passengers would like to change their seats once they have boarded their aircraft, while only 3 per cent say an attractive flight attendant is important.

These are just two of the many findings in a global survey released by Melbourne market intelligence firm Synovate, The Australian reports.

The survey of more than 10,000 travellers across 13 markets also found that 56 per cent of passengers rated "getting there quickly and easily" as the best thing about air travel.

Synovate's survey was focused on the pleasure and pain of air travel – whether passengers liked sitting next to chatty passengers or how they dealt with the frustration of other passengers' children.

For the overwhelming majority in the US it's all about getting from A to B, with 84 per cent choosing. "It's fast and it gets me where I need to be quickly" is the thing they most like about air travel.

Sheri Lambert, senior vice-president of travel and leisure for Synovate, said it was critical for air travel to be convenient.

"Air travel in the US is largely transactional," Lambert said. "It's about getting where you are going with as little fuss as possible. This is mainly because the scale of the American air system is enormous, and so many people travel for work or business that it's nearly as common as taking a bus."

But at the other end of the scale, 42 per cent of Egyptians said their greatest pleasure in flying was just "being served".

Synovate's managing director for Egypt, Tamer el-Naggar, put perspective on that need, saying: "Air travel is a big thing for Egyptians and the prestige associated with it becomes anexpectation. Getting on board an airplane and being looked after is a very much sought-after luxury."

Seat swappers and whingers

But not surprisingly it was the seat that passengers are trapped in for up to 15 hours that was of most concern to passengers.

Synovate says 89 per cent of Taiwanese, 87 per cent of Americans, 84 per cent of Thais and 83 per cent of British travellers agreed they would appreciate a seat swap if they were less than thrilled with where they were asked to park their posteriors.

Least fussy were the Filipinos, with only 64 per cent agreeing that the seat was important.

Overall, 41 per cent said they were "really fussy about my seat, and a bad one can ruin my flight experience", and 75 per cent said "I would like to have an option which allowed me to change seats if I was unhappy".

Changing seats onboard would be bedlam for airlines, according to Lambert.

"It's one thing to not like your seat when you are on a short 45-minute flight, most of us can deal with that. But it's entirely another thing when you are cramped and miserable travelling farther afield."

But sometimes cultural issues are a major factor with seating. Some of the Thai respondents' trepidation about seating can beattributed to culture, suggests Synovate managing director for Thailand, Steven Britton.

"One of the things you are taught in Thailand – and is reinforced all the time when you are growing up – is that you should not step over people," he says. "Thais will do nearly anything to avoid this. Airline seats are so tightly packed together in economy that a Thai stuck in a window seat would probably refrain from visiting the bathroom for hours rather than step over several people."

According to Scott Lee, executive director of Synovate in Hong Kong, the crux of the issue for Hong Kong air travellers is forced intimacy.

"Sharing your personal space with strangers is not something that many people look forward to," Lee says. "Still, air travellers in some markets seem quite OK with it – perhaps even relishing the chance to meet new people – while people in other markets like Hong Kong seem to want to shut down and avoid others."

Men, not screaming children, the problem

The Synovate study asked people to agree or disagree with a series of statements, one of which was: "I prefer sitting next to someone of my own sex".

Overall, a little over one-third of respondents agreed with this.

The highest "agrees" were from Hong Kong, at 65 per cent.

When the figure was broken down by gender, Synovate found that women were far more likely to answer in the affirmative than men.

Forty-four per cent of all women travellers said they wanted to sit next to someone of their own gender, while only 24 per cent of men did.

"There are a couple of factors at work here," Lee says.

"One may be awkwardness between men and women – in some markets, sexual tension, and in others, related to religion – plus it must be said that men seem to always take the arm restand as much leg room as possible, often without thinking about it. No wonder women want to avoid us."

The Synovate survey found that most air travellers were not irritated by having to sit next to children.

Two-thirds of respondents disagreed with the statement "I get frustrated when sitting next to or near children".

Britons were the most intolerant, with 55 per cent agreeing that they find sitting near the smallest travellers frustrating.

Least likely to get frustrated were Germans, with only 15 per cent agreeing.

Synovate also found that the harder economic times would not stop people travelling but would turn them into bargain hunters.

Across the markets surveyed, Synovate asked travellers to choose one answer that best summed up the effect of fuel surcharges and increased costs of air travel for their situation.

The most frequent answer – delivered by 39 per cent of those surveyed – was: "I would consider looking for airlines offering cheaper flights."

Pertinent for Qantas was a finding that where a national carrier was strong on reputation and service, passengers' expectations were higher.

Another interesting finding was that 63 per cent of air travellers preferred window seats, while for only 3 per cent the thing they most liked about flying was "attractive flight attendants".

Interesting read....cultural parts are educational....

I prefer an aisle seat.....handy if you need to get to the loo without moving or climbing over people.....

I prefer pretty, leggy, female flight crew because it gives me something to enjoy from my aisle seat....

I prefer sitting next to a women....for they are smaller gives me a feeling of much more space.....and they tend to smell sweeter than men after along haul flight....Have you ever had to put up with a constant cheesy smell on a flight because the guy behind you has his shoes off and feet under your seat??? :o At times like this a seat move possibility would be most welcome..... :D

I don't mind where and with whom I sit, my only problem is that planes sometimes drop out of the sky :o

I myself prefer landings, to keeping flying along forever, until the fuel runs out. :D

Children are of course a problem, once you become a parent travelling with kids, you get to see the other side of things, and usually become more understanding. But if airlines introduced an option, to check children into the hold, I might change my POV. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I like sitting beside someone interesting. Good conversation can while away time and make the flight seem shorter. :o

As regards children W.C. Fields comes to mind. It must be very difficult for parents.

Edited by salty

I hate it when cabin crew come round demanding that all the window shades be closed so I have to sit in the dark regardless of what the time is. TG are terrible for that.

Yeah, that p1sses me off as well. I like a window seat as I like to look outside even if all I can see are the tops of clouds.

The thing that really does make me want a seat change is a noisy, unruly brat within earshot. I understand that small kids get quickly bored on long flights but then it's the parent's duty to have sufficient amusements to distract them. Occasionally you get the parents who just plain ignore their offspring no matter how irritating they are to other passengers. Maybe the airlines should divide the planes as in the good old days of smoking flights and have a children and no children section.

The in flight meals are not my priority as no matter how good the grub is you are still eating it scrunched up in a seat too small for relaxation (unless you travel business or first).

I hate it when cabin crew come round demanding that all the window shades be closed so I have to sit in the dark regardless of what the time is. TG are terrible for that.

Refuse, as it's a request rather than a demand. I've denied their requests on several occasions, as a compromise, I voluntarily lower it half way. I must admit though, a couple of times I've had to be quite stern with them.

Worst thing on aircraft? Babies especially, but, children in general, often owing to the lack of parental control. :o

> I hate it when cabin crew come round demanding that all the window shades be closed so I have to sit in

> the dark regardless of what the time is. TG are terrible for that.

Actually when they do that consider that it will likely make sense; they try to get people over their jet-lag faster by adjusting to the time of day it is at the destination. (or some intermediate time to help with the transition). Just add Xanax and/or Melatonin and/or some good drinks and sleep.

First and foremost though, and I can't believe this wasn't addressed in the survey or in any follow ups, THE most important thing for me on flights is BOOZE. :o And FA's need to be very liberal in dispensing it. This is true mostly on Asian airlines, ESPECIALLY Thai airways. On my last flight, the person next to me asked for apple juice. I asked for a brandy. Guess what, the quantity in both glasses ended up being the same, not just a tiny drop like some airlines do. I attach a picture.

This, to me, is happiness in the air:

post-64232-1225179679_thumb.jpg

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

> I hate it when cabin crew come round demanding that all the window shades be closed so I have to sit in

> the dark regardless of what the time is. TG are terrible for that.

Actually when they do that consider that it will likely make sense; they try to get people over their jet-lag faster by adjusting to the time of day it is at the destination. (or some intermediate time to help with the transition). Just add Xanax and/or Melatonin and/or some good drinks and sleep.

First and foremost though, and I can't believe this wasn't addressed in the survey or in any follow ups, THE most important thing for me on flights is BOOZE. :o And FA's need to be very liberal in dispensing it. This is true mostly on Asian airlines, ESPECIALLY Thai airways. On my last flight, the person next to me asked for apple juice. I asked for a brandy. Guess what, the quantity in both glasses ended up being the same, not just a tiny drop like some airlines do. I attach a picture.

This, to me, is happiness in the air:

And another good reason not to have the blinds down.

I'd like to believe this is true but I don't think the flight crew give a rat's ar5e about your jet lag. The main reason, IMO, is to bed the self loading freight down and get them asleep so they (the flight attendants) don't have too much to do on the flight.

I'd like to believe this is true but I don't think the flight crew give a rat's ar5e about your jet lag. The main reason, IMO, is to bed the self loading freight down and get them asleep so they (the flight attendants) don't have too much to do on the flight.

Agreed. It also saves the airline money too - sleeping passengers aren't utilising the free hospitality.

hate flying in general especially the landing.economy class overcrowding,rubbish food,no service re drinks(except asian airlines)Flying in the 70's used to be a joy,plenty of leg room,unlimited service etc etc,but alas no more.

Like the aisle seat,able to stretch out more,children ok but babies should be banned,all that crying and screaming.Sitting next to overweight people or obese people on long haul flights,they should have to buy 2 seats!