Ex Com Computer

MaiPenLai

It is a story told, I am sure, by many.

A friends business went pear shaped and he needed to liquidate everything from his office. Knowing I am a computer fanatic he offered me two desktop machines. I bought both not because I needed them but because he is a good friend and I felt bad that his business plan went south.

Before buying the machines I looked them over. Asus boards, Kingston RAM, etc.....They had about 3 months of office use and the office was never open full time. He had bought them from a company named EX COM a reseller of Lemel branded stuff. Lemel I now know is a division of Synnex Thailand.

Before I bought them my friend put me on the phone with an EX COM rep and he assured me that not only were the computers covered by a 3 year warranty that his company did the first year "on site".

So I was able to sell one machines at my cost and after trying to sell the second machine I just was weary of quoting the specs over and over, I kept it. It became machine number "7".

Of course the one I kept soon had a hardware failure. I called EX COM and a guy came over with an arm load of software, no tools at all after I had already informed him on the phone it most certainly was either a motherboard or PSU problem ( I had already yanked the HD as it contained data I did not care to share and I wanted to see also if it was the problem, it was not.

So he takes the machine ( so much for on site service right>? ) and gives me a slip of paper.

Week one passes and I call for a status check. Well they have not had time to look at it....... I inform them that I have been buying , building, maintaining machines here in Thailand for a dozen years and I KNOW for a fact that turn around on almost any component is 7 days max.

Week two finds me asking what the problem is with no answer.....At the end of week two I finally reach the boss. Of course he is not only unaware of my individual problem, He also is unaware that his company clearly prints on it's invoices " First year warranty ON SITE".

Tomorrow will be week three........ seriously feel that the machine has all but been stolen at this point.

Just be careful dealing with this company EX COM. They don't have a clue and have misrepresented themselves and lied blatently about the "on site" warranty.

On a positive note. Recently I had a new Gigabyte board go tits up and I have been dealing with the same delightful 26 y/o Thai business lady for about 5 years now. She promptly returned the board to Gigabyte, and installed an XFX Sli board in the box until my replacement came back ( 6 days ).

If you live around the Mall Bang Kae or Future Park Mall, she is in IT Grand which is in between both. She gives excellent service, great tech's at the shop and better than average prices as well. She was educated in Australia and speaks English well but has become so successful, She is rarely at the shop anymore but her brother has taken over and is doing a good job and although his English is weak he is able to get things done.

PM for phone number and name, I can't think of the shops name right now but I have Mimi's number. If she is not there either take a Thai person with you or test your Thai language skills :o

EDIT: attempted spelling correction.....TWICE!

Edited by MaiPenLai

I don't know why you complain about EX COM ..... the invoice was clearly made out to your friend in other words the first owner. There is no contract or obligation between you, the second owner, and EX COM.

That they are willing to help you is clearly good will.

I don't know why you complain about EX COM ..... the invoice was clearly made out to your friend in other words the first owner. There is no contract or obligation between you, the second owner, and EX COM.

Talking to the rep on his office phone number is plenty of due diligence and he was aware that I was buying them as his company wanted them paid off, not defaulted on and repossessed. Enough said?

The fact that they TOOK IT is in itself an agreement. First year law?

Edited by MaiPenLai

Talking to the rep on his office phone number is plenty of due diligence and he was aware that I was buying them as his company wanted them paid off, not defaulted on and repossessed. Enough said?

The fact that they TOOK IT is in itself an agreement. First year law?

Hehe, first year law? In what country? Sorry, dont mean to give you a hard time, just thought that was a little funny. Thanks for the heads up I will not deal with EX COM.

What a dumb comment!

What a dumb comment!

So, Condo_bk, please enlighten us why this is a dumb statement?

What a dumb comment!

So, Condo_bk, please enlighten us why this is a dumb statement?

How many like you are out there?

First, I was thinking that it was your personal silly comment. You should contact the men in brown for clarifications or complains, or maybe "google" for correct answers.

And BTW, the fact that I am willing to reply to you, is clearly my good will.

moony.gif

That's a very intelligent and polite reply :o

What the previous posters have been trying to point out to you is that a warranty, under most countries' laws, applies to the object sold, not to the owner/purchaser. I am not an expect on Thai commercial law but would imagine the same applies here. Or do you believe that the warranty on e.g. a new car expires if it happens to be sold on in, say, a few weeks?

/ Priceless

This reply was exclusively aimed at condo_bk .... if you knew the history of our 'friendship' I guess you wouldn't have made this comment. It must have been a long wait for him to 'get back' to me.

And if you really had read my post carefully, you would have seen I talked about the wording on the invoice (ie conditions) not the warranty. I'm sure you're not an 'expect' (whatever that is), but I am sure that

the second owner cannot hold the supplier responsible for conditions (like on site support) made during the original sale. Also, it is not uncommon that certain types of products carry only a warranty

to the first owner on record. Sometimes, a warranty transfer has to take place.

Furthermore, it was desirable that the moderator (if he was as attentive as Tywais and Maestro) would have regarded condo_bk's post as flaming and had removed it before escalating could occur.

Edited by sniffdog

This reply was exclusively aimed at condo_bk .... if you knew the history of our 'friendship' I guess you wouldn't have made this comment. It must have been a long wait for him to 'get back' to me.

And if you really had read my post carefully, you would have seen I talked about the wording on the invoice (ie conditions) not the warranty. I'm sure you're not an 'expect' (whatever that is), but I am sure that

the second owner cannot hold the supplier responsible for conditions (like on site support) made during the original sale. Also, it is not uncommon that certain types of products carry only a warranty

Furthermore, it was desirable that the moderator (if he was as attentive as Tywais and Maestro) would have regarded condo_bk's post as flaming and had removed it before escalating could occur.

sniffdog is very right. The "service" of the company who sold the product, goes to first owner only.

if that product is resold again, the company is out of any responsibility regarding to the statement on the invoice and/or contract. Everything that company will do for any "third" party is just on them "good will" and out of any warranties.

Cheers.

Methinks EX COM read Thai Visa!

Who knows?

But it's not MR, my company has a much different name ad I don't do retail!

The procedure I was describing are normal in this business.

Cheers.

sniffdog is very right. The "service" of the company who sold the product, goes to first owner only.

if that product is resold again, the company is out of any responsibility regarding to the statement on the invoice and/or contract. Everything that company will do for any "third" party is just on them "good will" and out of any warranties.

Cheers.

Well obvious to most readers whatever some consider normal is not relevant in this circumstance.

I took the time to contact the company (see original and subsequent posts) and once a rep makes a promise (contract) I expect them to keep it. They wanted to get paid for their equipment so they AGREED to the entire transaction. That made them liable. If they thought that is was a bad deal they could have just collected their equipment.

Because I have lived here for some time I realize that almost every purchase is "as is". That's why it takes a kid 15 min to buy a pen. He has to try it, shake it, write in uppercase and lowercase, drop test it, makes sure it is straight. Once the money changes hands it's over. Hence the DD above.

I think it would be more reasonable to state that "some" computer warranties are non-transferable because clearly the better companies want repeat business and therefore bend over backwards to take care of their customers. This is a company by company policy so blanket statements don't work and retail or wholesale companies want their money. On the bottom of my original post, I gave a clear example of a small company that offers excellent customer care and that is why they have loyal customers and continue to do very well.

DELL

Dell makes it easy to transfer the warranty and ownership of a Dell product from one owner to another owner. Simply follow the steps below to update our records, and you will receive an email when the process is complete. The transfer process can take up to 10 days.

I am not going to waste time scouring the internet proving my point and locating the smaller shops would be impossible using this method anyway.

All consumers should read and properly research the warranties for the products they are buying. Some computer and electronics equipment companies still offer full warranties as opposed to limited warranties but many have fallen victim to the lawyers and the bean counters who have proven quite skillful in writing very long documents that give the end consumer little to no protection in the end.

This opens their after market extended warranties sales.

The one I really personally love is you buy a product, a computer, which is meant to be upgradeable... BUT, The very minute you open the case you have voided the manufacturers warranty.........

Happy Shopping!

MPL

MaiPenLai, am I correct to say that you didn't mention the 'non paid' status and the subsequent agreement in your first post, hence my comment. I am not quite what the payment conditions were, but that these computers were not paid after three months make me think that EX COM didn't have to give service at all. I would even go that far that your friend was not in a position to sell them to you, as he was not the owner.

They could have taken the computers back, but that was not a very clever thing to do, because they were already outdated and second hand.

Yes, condo_bk, with the person you are, that's what came first in my mind ...

Edited by sniffdog

MaiPenLai, am I correct to say that you didn't mention the 'non paid' status and the subsequent agreement in your first post, hence my comment. I am not quite what the payment conditions were, but that these computers were not paid after three months make me think that EX COM didn't have to give service at all. I would even go that far that your friend was not in a position to sell them to you, as he was not the owner.

They could have taken the computers back, but that was not a very clever thing to do, because they were already outdated and second hand.

It is true, you are not quite!

For the sake of brevity I am going to cut and paste this from the first post:

Before buying the machines I looked them over. Asus boards, Kingston RAM, etc.....They had about 3 months of office use and the office was never open full time. He had bought them from a company named EX COM a reseller of Lemel branded stuff. Lemel I now know is a division of Synnex Thailand.

Before I bought them my friend put me on the phone with an EX COM rep and he assured me that not only were the computers covered by a 3 year warranty that his company did the first year "on site".

Agreement made and accepted, terms not in dispute. So in short, you are right about the finance details but that has no bearing on anything.

In a previous post you claimed your problem was with my interpretation of the invoice. One is left to wonder what exactly your problem is in general other than reading comprehension ( see paste above) and writing in understandable English (read your last post again for further.

MPL

Yes, condo_bk, with the person you are, that's what came first in my f... mind ...

Conclusion

Now it should be obvious to everyone, not only you are not quite as a person, but your mind is filthy as well!

And if you really had read my post carefully, you would have seen I talked about the wording on the invoice (ie conditions) not the warranty. I'm sure you're not an 'expect' (whatever that is), but I am sure that [...]

Firstly: If you intend a post to be aimed at one particular other poster, it would simplify for the rest of us posters if you indicated as much.

Secondly: If you expect all other members of ThaiVisa to be aware of all relationships between other posters and/or groups of posters, I am afraid that you're in for a lot of disappointment.

Thirdly: "Expect" in this particular context was what is known in professional circles as a "typo", i.e. an unintentionally applied pressure on a wrong key of a keyboard.

/ Priceless