My Thai Wife Just Passed Life In Uk Test.

Hi all,

With thanks to this forum we made a 2yr settlement visa for the UK back in march07 which we got, now in the UK she got her NI number and has been working we have a joint bank account.

She has been studying for the "life in the uk test" and today we went down to the test centre and she passed first time :D .

I am not sure what happens next??? :o

Does this mean she can get a uk passport??

Not to sure where to get a application for citizenship or indefinite leave to remain any one got any links?

Her settlement visa runs out in march 2009 , we are going back to Thailand in Jan09 and staying for 1month.

Well done to the missus!!

The next stage is to apply for ILR - but you can't do it yet - you need to apply in the last month of your settlement visa. You should though start collecting all the evidence for the application.

Make sure you keep bank statements, pay slips and any letters in joint names - ideally from throughout the 2 year period. If you haven't done so already, put the wife on utility bills, council tax etc - and keep the Life in UK Pass certificate safe.

Well done again.

DC

First of all, congratulations to your wife. Secondly, I have never heard of this test before so I just looked it up. I have lived here the best the part of 30 years so I thought I would do the sample test just to see how easy it is. Er....I failed ?? Hmmm, if you wife is interested in giving lessons to returnee ex pats let me know, I might be interested if its not too much . :o

( Bloody hel_l, I never knew Scottish bank notes were only legal tender in Scotland. Not that I've ever seen one ??? )

I think you had better check the requirments on the visa situ. If she has only have 1 month to run when trying to re-enter the UK I think you will have problems. I am suprised the Indian lawyer guy (Mr Khan) didnt pick up on this

Good point

Edited by storminnorman

I think you had better check the requirments on the visa situ. If she has only have 1 month to run when trying to re-enter the UK I think you will have problems. I am suprised the Indian lawyer guy (Mr Khan) didnt pick up on this

Not relevant, from a legal point of view anyway. She's coming back with "continuing leave" for the same purpose as which she was granted the visa, i.e. it's still valid. She has to apply for further leave or ILR within 28 days of the expiry of the visa, and can qualify for ILR if on the date of the application she's been living in the UK for 2 years minus 28 days. Ie if she originally travelled within 28 days of the visa being granted she hasn't got a problem. The odd few weeks out of the UK on holiday don't affect this. If she can't qualify for ILR like that, she has to apply for Further Leave to Remain.

Some over-officious airline check-in clerk may labour under the same misapprehension as "whatsoever", but they have no reason to do so.

I'm sure that Indian lawyer guy (Mr Khan) :o will tell you the same.

Hey, I passed the test with 11 out of 12. :o Cor blimey, stroll on guvnor!!

Yeah. You were able to answer 11 out of 12. But how many did you get right?

Problem is if we let only the clever blighters into the country there won't be any jobs left for the rest of us. If you get more than half right you should be deported.

If she has only have 1 month to run when trying to re-enter the UK I think you will have problems.

I'd be interested to hear your reasons for thinking this situation could give rise to problems - with due reference to current immigration law and policy, of course.

Scouse.

Go to official website lifeintheUK dot net (sorry seems you can't upload links).

Of course you can my old friend LinUK Study Guide there you go.

Congrats Wayne.

I don't want to get into another fire fight regarding the LitUK test, whether we like it or not it is here, so deal with it or circumvent it, but don't keep moaning about it, read the book, do the internet if you wish, but play the game, integrate however little you wish and pass.

Genghis Khan never fought a battle he couldn't win, so don't fight the B Gov't, beat them.

Good Luck

Moss

Edited by Mossfinn

If she has only have 1 month to run when trying to re-enter the UK I think you will have problems.

I'd be interested to hear your reasons for thinking this situation could give rise to problems - with due reference to current immigration law and policy, of course.

Scouse.

Simple realy, many of the of the relevant staff (immigration/check-in eg.) are not up to speed with current Uk immigration law and policy and may think that having only one month on a visa is inadequate. It was just a precautionary note in order to assist the OP and pre-empt any possible problems - by education of the rules. If what you state is fact then he can confidently state this . As you are well aware many people have been prevented from flying when their documents have been in order.