Crazy Man On Highway 7 To Pattaya/rayong

Almost every time I drive from BKK to SriRacha in the morning (around 7:20AM), I see a crazy character walking along the yellow line next to the fast lane on the number 7 highway. Very concentrated on the yellow line, walking slowly.

Cars are zooming past at 130+, but this guy is taking a stroll! :o Against the flow of traffic. Not that it matters which direction he walks, but if he just steps one step to his right he is ketchup... First time I saw him, scared the crap out me. He did not look lost, well maybe in his mind, but there on purpose.

He is very brown, has a beard and is looks like a homeless guy. Anybody else see him or know his story?

Practicing mindfullness or something?

I'm more of a fan of reggae walking man who roams around Jomtien and South Pattaya. Always walking.

:o

Yes, me too Heng. We have our own version of him here in Surin. Maybe they are related? :D

That 'golden man' is a bit too load in a gay type of way, for me.

Never seen the 'paraffin lamp' that Dr Evil is talking about but probably less harmful than a few of the holidaying ferangs.

Dave

He lives next to the motorway in a hut made from broken billboards and junk, a bit like 'Stig of the Dump', however the real nutters are usually in the fast lane doing about 200kph.

200 on the 7? I'm impressed. :o

If I go over 140 on the 7, I am bouncing all over the place. dam_n concrete rads

Have you ever spoken to this guy? Stig of the Dump, thats pretty good. :D

Never seen the 'paraffin lamp' that Dr Evil is talking about but probably less harmful than a few of the holidaying ferangs: Yes, he does look harmless. Unless you hit him when driving 130+. I dont think the windshield will keep him out.

I wonder if he had a bad accident in the past and suffered head injuries.

I remember one guy in Oz. He’d walk around the streets making car noises and shifting invisible gears with his hand. We were told he had suffered brain injuries in a car accident.

There’s a Thai girl where I live now who walks along the centre of the road oblivious to the traffic. I’ve been told she had a motorbike accident and suffered brain injuries.

Almost every time I drive from BKK to SriRacha in the morning (around 7:20AM), I see a crazy character walking along the yellow line next to the fast lane on the number 7 highway. Very concentrated on the yellow line, walking slowly.

Cars are zooming past at 130+, but this guy is taking a stroll! :D Against the flow of traffic. Not that it matters which direction he walks, but if he just steps one step to his right he is ketchup... First time I saw him, scared the crap out me. He did not look lost, well maybe in his mind, but there on purpose.

He is very brown, has a beard and is looks like a homeless guy. Anybody else see him or know his story?

Who is the crazy man? :o

Usually I like to sit on 150-160 on the elevated Bang Na - Chonburi. Hit 180 this morning. All for nought...

If you see a black Altis approaching at speed on this road in your rearview mirror JUST GET THE F*** OUT of the right lane.

I know I drive like a madman, but I dont care.

Cars are zooming past at 130+, but this guy is taking a stroll! :D Against the flow of traffic. Not that it matters which direction he walks, but if he just steps one step to his right he is ketchup... First time I saw him, scared the crap out me. He did not look lost, well maybe in his mind, but there on purpose.

Usually I like to sit on 150-160 on the elevated Bang Na - Chonburi. Hit 180 this morning. All for nought...

If you see a black Altis approaching at speed on this road in your rearview mirror JUST GET THE F*** OUT of the right lane.

It a question of degree here :D

Besides, compared to the rest of the madmen behind the wheel here, I'm a saint :D

For instance, I use my indicator. When you're supposed to! I look in my rearview mirrors, too.

I don't drive pissed or weave erratically, either.

It a question of degree here :D

Besides, compared to the rest of the madmen behind the wheel here, I'm a saint :D

For instance, I use my indicator. When you're supposed to! I look in my rearview mirrors, too.

Dr, please enlighten me. Who is going to cause the most damage:

1. An eccentric walking along and minding his own business on Highway 7, or

2. A self-confessed don't give a fukc madman, who drives at 150 - 160 - 180, and believes they have ownership of the outside lane? :D

EvilDrSomkid:

Wrong, wrong and wrong!

A/ Using your blinker will confuse Thai's. Which will lead to accidents.

B/ The unwritten law is those behind you have to lookout for those in front. Looking in the mirrors mean you not concentrating on front.

C/ If your the only one not pissed and your driving rationally you will make the Thai's nervous and they will panic! And that's why it will be your fault when the accident occurs!

You start acting like farang in Western country and you will be in much trouble.

Dr, please enlighten me. Who is going to cause the most damage:

1. An eccentric walking along and minding his own business on Highway 7, or

2. A self-confessed don't give a fukc madman, who drives at 150 - 160 - 180, and believes they have ownership of the outside lane? :D

My dear Jack,

You should read my posts with more salt, pepper, prik pon or naam prik, which ever you prefer.

I did not imply that Mr. Highway 7 wishes to cause damage. But I do worry what might happen one day if somebody swerves too far to the right. I am sure you have seen the locals weave quite a bit.

Driving 150 to 180 on the elevated Expressway between BN and CB is not mad. This is only possible if there is room. I known this.

Then again there are many people who consider anybody driving faster than themselves to be crazy.

Is it so hard for people to move aside for those who wish to overtake? Is it reasonable for someone to block the way for others? Many times I notice women sit in the fast lane and mosy along at 110, when there is a whole line of cars behind them. They refuse to move.

Maybe it has something to do with face...I probably do not understand Thai culture, like BSJ implies. :o

But lets not digress, the OP concerned the 'eccentric gentleman' of Highway 7 and if anybody else had seen him or knew his story.

Just one of the many things that amaze me everyday in this wonderful country.

Never a dull moment. :D

EvilDrSomkid:

Wrong, wrong and wrong!

A/ Using your blinker will confuse Thai's. Which will lead to accidents. Sorry, ingrained habit. I will try to improve. My GF actually asked me: "what does indicator mean?" after I bitched about this again?

B/ The unwritten law is those behind you have to lookout for those in front. Looking in the mirrors mean you not concentrating on front. AHA! That is why they drive so close to each other! In order to see them better.

C/ If your the only one not pissed and your driving rationally you will make the Thai's nervous and they will panic! And that's why it will be your fault when the accident occurs!

You start acting like farang in Western country and you will be in much trouble. Start? No, I am integrating just fine...I am letting go of my silly western notions. I am more courteous in traffic here than in EU. Now, if only I could learn how to BS people all the time. ie. Today public holiday! Koh Samed closed!

Can't figure out why the BIB have not stopped me yet. I blow past ...eeerrrm... pass them all the time. Left AND right.

I feel like I am missing out. :o

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

I wonder why the cops don't remove this hazard?

After all this is a high speed divided highway with cyclone fences either side to keep dogs & pushcarts out.

He'll get splattered & take some innocents with him. TiT.

I wonder why the cops don't remove this hazard?

After all this is a high speed divided highway with cyclone fences either side to keep dogs & pushcarts out.

He'll get splattered & take some innocents with him. TiT.

Thank you dotcom.

That is exactly the point I was trying to make about the mad Dr. :o

I wonder why the cops don't remove this hazard? There is nothing in it for them...

After all this is a high speed divided highway with cyclone fences either side to keep dogs & pushcarts out. Really, where? :o I see dead dogs all the time. I usually don't go south of SriRacha exit, though.

He'll get splattered & take some innocents with him. That was also the point I tried to make. dammit

Is it so hard for people to move aside for those who wish to overtake? Is it reasonable for someone to block the way for others? Many times I notice women sit in the fast lane and mosy along at 110, when there is a whole line of cars behind them. They refuse to move.

There is no lane discipline here just like on freeways in the US . :o

Read the book:-) It is legal in Thailand to pass on both sides so "When in Rome......."

There is no lane discipline here just like on freeways in the US . :D

Read the book:-) It is legal in Thailand to pass on both sides so "When in Rome......."

Trust me, I do pass on both sides. When in Thai do as the Thai do. I am integrating quite well, if I may say so. :o

Whether it is technically legal here, I am not sure.

I know that in the USA it is legal to pass on both sides. If you have an 8 lane highway, does not make sense to limit this.

In the EU it is a big nono to overtake on the right. The fine in NL is €280 I believe. Never got caught... :D