I Want To Divorce A Thai National

Waveraiderfromoz

I married a Thai lady in Bangkok 4 years ago, I sponsered her and her 4 year old son to live in Australia, it took 9 months to get her visa to move to Australia, it took another 12 months for her to get her permanent visa. Unknown to me once she got her permanent visa she started to look for a younger, richer man, although I had a nice home, a good government job, owned my car and so on, but that was not enough for her, she wanted more, our age gap was 21 years.

I thought something was going on because she would be on the home computer nearly all day, she told me she was reading the Thai news paper, but in fact she was chating on messenger to lots of men. The way I found out was I down loaded a spy program to see what she was doing, and there it was she had 5 different dating services, over 40 men and she had been doing it for over 6 months before I found out. In that 6 months we bought a new car and I was in the process of encluding her name on the deeds to my home. She really took me for a sucker, although her mum and dad and sisters and brother are all good people, a really nice family.

We only lived together for a total of 2 years and 2 months before she filled for seperation, all in all she cost me over $100,000 dollars. I have since divorced her in Australia but I beleive we are still married in Thailand, now the question is, how do I get divorced in Thailand, because I still would like to retire in Thailand and maybe settle down with a nice thai lady.

Anyone out there with a similar story.

Fred :o

(Fred I don't get it. If you are divorced in Oz and have the papers then that's it. Those divorce papers will be recognised internationally).

Exactly. . . Fred, I am sure that when you do retire here you will take PLENTY of time in finding a new bride . . .

(Fred I don't get it. If you are divorced in Oz and have the papers then that's it. Those divorce papers will be recognised internationally).

Exactly. . . Fred, I am sure that when you do retire here you will take PLENTY of time in finding a new bride . . .

but I have already met another lady, she seems very sincere, well educated and with her own small copy/print business, I plan to visit her in January 2009.

Fred I don't get it. If you are divorced in Oz and have the papers then that's it. Those divorce papers will be recognised internationally.

So if I bring the divorce papers, stamped with, I think it's called an Apostille, this will be recognised by the Thai District.

You got it man. And take a loooooooooooong time before you marry again. Happy retirement.

Fred I don't get it. If you are divorced in Oz and have the papers then that's it. Those divorce papers will be recognised internationally.

So if I bring the divorce papers, stamped with, I think it's called an Apostille, this will be recognised by the Thai District.

You got it man. And take a loooooooooooong time before you marry again. Happy retirement.

Ok now we got the divorce thing out of the way. Hate to be brutal but visit her tomorrow and see how sincere she is. I did. Yip jump on a plane tomorrow and see for yourself. Call you job and say you are sick. Do it. What a couple of thousand bucks for piece of mind. Do it man. Oh btw I was lucky my instant trip worked out for me I hope yours does.

Thanks for that, I know things will go right this time. :o

Ok now we got the divorce thing out of the way. Hate to be brutal but visit her tomorrow and see how sincere she is. I did. Yip jump on a plane tomorrow and see for yourself. Call you job and say you are sick. Do it. What a couple of thousand bucks for piece of mind. Do it man. Oh btw I was lucky my instant trip worked out for me I hope yours does.

I wish I could do that, but with work and cash thing, I know what your saying, yea trust nobody, but I do trust this one I have booked my ticket for Jan and I am saying for 6 months this time.

Reminds me of something from the South

A guy and his bride walk in to a minister's office at a church in Atlanta, Ga (USA) and the man asks

"Pastor, If you get married in Alabama but get divorced in Atlanta; does that mean you aren't brother and sister any more?"

unfortunately Thailand is not a signatory of the Hague Convention (acknowledging/accepting an international apostille). but to be on the safe side you should get the apostille from an Oz notary. worst case scenario is that a certified translation into thai is required. all the best!

Thanks for that, I know things will go right this time. :D

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that if a girl is from a straight job background that it is a guarantee that all will be well.

I had a large Thai restaurant in Oz way back, and the wife (at the time :o ) would give me the gossip about the Thai wives eating there, many after richer and younger husbands, though in all fairness the emphasis was on richer. Come to think of it I think she was too. They were not all bar girls.

Take your time and a degree of skepticism doesn't do a lot of harm. Personally think that you have a better control of the situation and finances here than at home.

I married a Thai lady in Bangkok 4 years ago, I sponsered her and her 4 year old son to live in Australia, it took 9 months to get her visa to move to Australia, it took another 12 months for her to get her permanent visa. Unknown to me once she got her permanent visa she started to look for a younger, richer man, although I had a nice home, a good government job, owned my car and so on, but that was not enough for her, she wanted more, our age gap was 21 years.

I thought something was going on because she would be on the home computer nearly all day, she told me she was reading the Thai news paper, but in fact she was chating on messenger to lots of men. The way I found out was I down loaded a spy program to see what she was doing, and there it was she had 5 different dating services, over 40 men and she had been doing it for over 6 months before I found out. In that 6 months we bought a new car and I was in the process of encluding her name on the deeds to my home. She really took me for a sucker, although her mum and dad and sisters and brother are all good people, a really nice family.

We only lived together for a total of 2 years and 2 months before she filled for seperation, all in all she cost me over $100,000 dollars. I have since divorced her in Australia but I beleive we are still married in Thailand, now the question is, how do I get divorced in Thailand, because I still would like to retire in Thailand and maybe settle down with a nice thai lady.

Anyone out there with a similar story.

Fred :o

May I suggest that you contact the Thai Embassy In OZ to confirm that you are divorced and that they are aware of this information. Sometimes they require seeing the original - Marriage and Divorce Papers with Notary stamped copies. They are also probably the best people to go and ask whether you are actually

legally divorced in Thailand aswell.

If you are not, they can then advise you on what you must do so Thailand does accept your divorce.

Suggest if you are going to retire in LOS that you buy a condo in your name with chanote, and the car in your name. You can leave it to your new wife/GF in your will, if you wish. Then if she decides to leave you lose nothing. Go sloowly

Yea, but don't tell the new wife/GF beforehand otherwise you could find yourself as the next candidate for the balcony jump.

Just another point of view why get a divorce it is a good ploy to see if a lady is sincere or not IE. I cannot marry you, I cannot take you to my country (UK) and my money stays in the UK then see if she stays with you

Good advice ! :o

I wish i could say it is as easy as walking into the amphur with your divirce papers. i made this mistake some years ago and married (registered in amphur) well to make long story short i did get the divorce in my home country and took the papers with me back to amphur with thai translations and with thai person helping me several times. but they still would not log my divorce in the books (chiang mai). they tole me "she" has to come in and do it.

i would love to get this cleared up too so if any of you have info on how to please let me know.....

but I have already met another lady, she seems very sincere, well educated and with her own small copy/print business, I plan to visit her in January 2009.

I guess one never learns his lesson. Most are like your first Thai wife. Nothing you did or did not do would have change anything except if you had more money to give. Some even have babies with older men to get them to provide for the child when they are dead. This is the best if they meet a real nice man. Be careful I think love it hard to find they love only your money if you given them it.

Suggest if you are going to retire in LOS that you buy a condo in your name with chanote, and the car in your name. You can leave it to your new wife/GF in your will, if you wish. Then if she decides to leave you lose nothing. Go sloowly

Yea, but don't tell the new wife/GF beforehand otherwise you could find yourself as the next candidate for the balcony jump.

.....you might want to keep your insurance policy secret also.

whether the gal is fresh out of a bar (like most farangs' sweethearts) or appears upstanding, the basic dynamic is the same: She's primarily in it for money/security for her and her Thai family.

Edited by brahmburgers

I wish i could say it is as easy as walking into the amphur with your divirce papers. i made this mistake some years ago and married (registered in amphur) well to make long story short i did get the divorce in my home country and took the papers with me back to amphur with thai translations and with thai person helping me several times. but they still would not log my divorce in the books (chiang mai). they tole me "she" has to come in and do it.

i would love to get this cleared up too so if any of you have info on how to please let me know.....

If you divorced in your home country, which I assume is America, the only time you need to go to the Amphur again is if you want to marry again.

Any country that divorces 'by procedure' it is recognised internationally.

If you do want to re-marry, you go to your Embassy with your divorce papers and a letter stating your personal details (name, dob, address etc) and making the claim that you are free to marry (it's called an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry for UK, and Affidavit for USA I think) The letter is then stamped by the Consul, you get it translated into Thai and Notorised at the MFA.

Once you have the Thai translation with the MFA stamps, no one in the Amphur cares if you have been married before.

Just another point of view why get a divorce it is a good ploy to see if a lady is sincere or not IE. I cannot marry you, I cannot take you to my country (UK) and my money stays in the UK then see if she stays with you

Good advice ! :D

Great advice

Best advice :o

unfortunately Thailand is not a signatory of the Hague Convention (acknowledging/accepting an international apostille). but to be on the safe side you should get the apostille from an Oz notary. worst case scenario is that a certified translation into thai is required. all the best!

From http://www.thaiconsulate.org.au/index.php?...&Itemid=117

Legalization

AUTHENTICATION OF ENGLISH DOCUMENT

According to the regulations set forth by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Thailand, the Royal Thai Consulate General in Brisbane is authorized to legalize documents bearing the seal of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) within the state of Queensland.

Required Document

1. Authenticated document(s) (The document must already be legalized by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) in Brisbane.

Fees

$25.00 Per Document

I had a very similar experience to you sir.

I married a Thai woman whom I thought was a great person and that we will/would share our future together as that is what she said etc..(us together forever)

When she got over to the UK all expenses paid and a two year spouse visa I reckon she must have thought she hit the jackpot. Little did she realise that I was not that impressed with her excuses for not wanting to spend time with me. I offered her everything I had and lots of support and love etc but her attitude was awful. At first I gave her the benefit of doubt and waited to see what would/could emerge from the 'special relationship' but after a very short time it became apparent that she did not like me at all. In the UK one can only divorce after one year of marriage so I had to ride it out.

Yes she was on the net day in day out MSN chat this chat that etc.. forum in Thai (I got her a Thai keyboard. I am a good person and helpful and supportive but all I got was SH*T from this woman whom I married.

This woman married a man she did not like for financial and nationality gain. I could not believe that someone could do such an evil act being so deceiving, dishonest and callous just for a British Passport.

To cut a very long story short she used every trick in the book to rip me of using people from the Thai consulate in Cardiff telling everybody lies about me in order to gain a FLR via domestic violence. This has made me so angry and hate with all my heart Thai people that a lying whore bitch cu*t can make false accusations of violence and gain support from other Thai nationals living in the UK that I will never go or give charity to Thailand.

I scan and view Forums like this and read stories like yours to reinforce my belief that Thai people are very dishonest and not to be trusted. They are likening to a virus like a parasite that needs to be exterminated. There is only one place for Thai people and that is Thailand. And if you think that I am being racist I would say I am. As to marry a person solely for a passport and financial gain via divorce is <deleted>**ing racists big time.

I do not understand sir why you would want to go back to this rotten country? Infested with liars and deceitful people.

I have been told by Thai people that there is a very famous saying in Thailand "Do not trust a Thai"

If I was you sir give up your dream and live in a culture that you are fully acquainted with.

I believe the OP will encounter the same response from the Umphur you did.

Various Thai based legal sites claim if you married in Thailand, you must divorce in Thailand.

There are 2 ways to obtain a Thai divorce. Uncontested and Contested.

If the OP’s wife is willing to attend the Umphur and sign the Thai divorce this will be easy.

Contested requires a court order to obtain a Thai divorce. This may be the way the OP has to proceed if his wife will not attend the Umphur for an uncontested divorce. The OP can use the Australian divorce papers as evidence and trust the Thai courts will issue a divorce using these as evidence.

I recommend the OP asks at the Thai consulate or seek Thai legal advice.

Where are all the forum legal eagles when we need them?