Bang Saray - The Jet Skis Have Arrived

Mobi

I went to Bang Sarae on Saturday afternoon to have a late seafood lunch at the excellent seafood restaurant that overlooks the bay at the far end of the beach.

I have been coming to Bang Sarae for many years, and apart from it's charming fishing village, one of the great pluses is the clean, beautiful beach, relatively unfettered with umbrellas, ususally very peaceful, apart from the odd holiday weekend when there is an influx of Thai tourists.

I was gazing out over the tranquil bay, biting into a deliciously fresh crab leg and sipping my second glass of Singha when my serenity was rudely disturbed by the unbearable cacophony of that "scourge of Thailand" - the abominable jet skis.

I looked to my the left, and there they were - two of them - buzzing in and out of swimmers at breakneck speed, making as much noise as you could imagine, and scaring the life out of everyone within range.

I guess I'll have to find somewhere else to have my sea shore lunches :o

what's the real issue, a jetski, or the dip sticks that rent then and do stupid shit with them...

The real issue is jet skies are loud and are only enjoyed by the persons riding them.

Everyone else has to put up with the way they <deleted> our relaxing day up on the beach .

Is that good enough. :o

I have been coming to Bang Sarae for many years, and apart from it's charming fishing village, one of the great pluses is the clean, beautiful beach, relatively unfettered with umbrellas, ususally very peaceful

aaaaaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhhhhh......now all the pattaya hoi polloi will know !

what's the real issue, a jetski, or the dip sticks that rent then and do stupid shit with them...

The real issue is jet skies are loud and are only enjoyed by the persons riding them.

Everyone else has to put up with the way they <deleted> our relaxing day up on the beach .

Is that good enough. :o

Yes and agreed.

I don't mind jet skis per se but I do not think they should be used anywhere near smimmers - should be restricted to specific areas such as the ones suggested above - I think that Antarctica and the Bearing Straits could be added to the list as well.

CB

As an aside, will someone please provide more details on the location of the seafood restaurant mentioned in the OP

^ take the Sukhumvit road south (towards sattahip). After Nong Nooch take the next right turn. This road will take you to Bang Saray beach (500m or so).

As you turn left to drive along the beach road, there is a seafood restaurant on the left (can't remember the name, but you can't miss it). Further along, there is a seafood restaurant on the right - on a pier over the sea.

There are others - but I think the OP must be referring to one of these two.

^ take the Sukhumvit road south (towards sattahip). After Nong Nooch take the next right turn. This road will take you to Bang Saray beach (500m or so).

As you turn left to drive along the beach road, there is a seafood restaurant on the left (can't remember the name, but you can't miss it). Further along, there is a seafood restaurant on the right - on a pier over the sea.

There are others - but I think the OP must be referring to one of these two.

Thanks very much

CB

The one to which I am referring is at the far end of the beach, just before the road goes into the village. It is on the right and goes out on stilts over the sea.

It has been there for years and is a well known eating spot for Thais and farangs alike. The seafood is wonderfully fresh and cooked beautifully, and the prices are very reasonable. Whenever I have had guests and or/family over from Europe they insist on returning there.

The ambience is also great - provided they get rid of those bloody jet skis.

I have been coming to Bang Sarae for many years, and apart from it's charming fishing village, one of the great pluses is the clean, beautiful beach, relatively unfettered with umbrellas, ususally very peaceful

aaaaaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhhhhh......now all the pattaya hoi polloi will know !

yeh,thanks for informing me of this,jomtien has too many swimmers getting in the way so now and me 5 mates (each with jetskis) can go there.whats the directions again.....go nong nooch turn right and go straight is it? :o:D

il tell the wifes family as there work involves walking up and down the beach selling sunglasses etc in jomtien but they were looking for a good new spot.thanks :D

Is that good enough. :D

To be honest, although I deplore the noise, by far the biggest issue is that they are bloody dangerous.

I have rarely seen these lethal machines being driven by farangs, although I have no doubt that farangs do drive them, and then invariably get ripped off by having to pay extortionate sums for alleged "damage" - all for their 30 minutes of fun on the high seas.

But in Pattaya, Jomtien, and now in Bang Sarae, I have seen these machines driven by Thai maniacs - quite possibly drunk or high - who drive them at breakneck speeds in and out of swimmers.

There have been numerous accidents, including deaths, both in Thailand and in other countries where these machines have been allowed unfettered access to areas where others are enjoying a swim or even sunbathing. (Yes, in the past they have crashed into the sand and killed sun bathing tourists in Pattaya).

If I want noise, with the thrills of the chances of death and destruction thrown in, I will go and dine by a motor racing circuit, but I don't expect to be exposed to that sort of thing when dining out on a beautiful piece of Thailand's coast.

I guess I'll just have to find another spot which is yet undiscovered by the moronic hordes. :o

Is that good enough. :D

To be honest, although I deplore the noise, by far the biggest issue is that they are bloody dangerous.

I have rarely seen these lethal machines being driven by farangs, although I have no doubt that farangs do drive them, and then invariably get ripped off by having to pay extortionate sums for alleged "damage" - all for their 30 minutes of fun on the high seas.

But in Pattaya, Jomtien, and now in Bang Sarae, I have seen these machines driven by Thai maniacs - quite possibly drunk or high - who drive them at breakneck speeds in and out of swimmers.

There have been numerous accidents, including deaths, both in Thailand and in other countries where these machines have been allowed unfettered access to areas where others are enjoying a swim or even sunbathing. (Yes, in the past they have crashed into the sand and killed sun bathing tourists in Pattaya).

If I want noise, with the thrills of the chances of death and destruction thrown in, I will go and dine by a motor racing circuit, but I don't expect to be exposed to that sort of thing when dining out on a beautiful piece of Thailand's coast.

I guess I'll just have to find another spot which is yet undiscovered by the moronic hordes. :o

doesnt seem to be any jetskis at ban amphur and maybe that beach further up where you have to go thru the navy/army checkpoint and pay to go in(cant remember name).....i doubt there will be any jetskiers there.

i also think jetskis should not be allowed to be used within say 30m of beach unless obviously going out or coming in....theres absolutely no reason why they should go in between swimmers :D

I went to Bang Sarae on Saturday afternoon to have a late seafood lunch at the excellent seafood restaurant that overlooks the bay at the far end of the beach.

I have been coming to Bang Sarae for many years, and apart from it's charming fishing village, one of the great pluses is the clean, beautiful beach, relatively unfettered with umbrellas, ususally very peaceful, apart from the odd holiday weekend when there is an influx of Thai tourists.

I was gazing out over the tranquil bay, biting into a deliciously fresh crab leg and sipping my second glass of Singha when my serenity was rudely disturbed by the unbearable cacophony of that "scourge of Thailand" - the abominable jet skis.

I looked to my the left, and there they were - two of them - buzzing in and out of swimmers at breakneck speed, making as much noise as you could imagine, and scaring the life out of everyone within range.

I guess I'll have to find somewhere else to have my sea shore lunches :o

How strange, I was in the same restaurant at about 6.30 on Saturday.

Talk about good timing as when my wife and I arrived they struggled to find us a table and by 7pm there were loads of people having to wait.

The jet skis were still whizzing up and down, even in the dark.

I agree about Bang Saray but sadly I think it will be next in line for overdevelopment.