Baht Exchange Rate

The BBC has just announced the FED is expected to reduce interest rates by a further .5% today

A strong Baht maybe good for certain things but for Thai exports it is a nightmare for Thailand and jobs in general including tourism.I own ( not for long as I've sold up) a travel agency in the UK and I can tell you without doubt that an over inflated Baht will stop people travelling to Thailand as people will go where the pound is strong.Anyone can see what an over inflated currency can do to tourism as the tourist figures are down in the Euro zone so those that are gloating about the strong Baht beware.Add to the political problems in Thailand most tourist areas in Thailand will suffer without a doubt.I think this is short term as the Baht is linked to the dollor and at the moment the pound is getting stronger again so if you have spare cash buy the pound now and wait to change it back in about 6 months when you get more baht to the pound.

Laters

Shakeyd :o

The BBC has just announced the FED is expected to reduce interest rates by a further .5% today

A strong Baht maybe good for certain things but for Thai exports it is a nightmare for Thailand and jobs in general including tourism.I own ( not for long as I've sold up) a travel agency in the UK and I can tell you without doubt that an over inflated Baht will stop people travelling to Thailand as people will go where the pound is strong.Anyone can see what an over inflated currency can do to tourism as the tourist figures are down in the Euro zone so those that are gloating about the strong Baht beware.Add to the political problems in Thailand most tourist areas in Thailand will suffer without a doubt.I think this is short term as the Baht is linked to the dollor and at the moment the pound is getting stronger again so if you have spare cash buy the pound now and wait to change it back in about 6 months when you get more baht to the pound.

Laters

Shakeyd :o

I beleive every word you are saying. And the short happiness for the Americans was only 2 weeks. Euro/pound contra dollar has already turned around and us laughter are over for this time. Swedish (as example) stockmarket up over 6 % today (allthough i don´t for a minuite trust this to be over). Dollar turned back again even though it is higher than for years. Don´t really mean much since we used it as toilett-paper the last two years in my country. But it (dollar) seem to have stabilised a little higher than we are used to. And U.s worrieness are not as big as expected given the election and all. Offcourse the worldcurrencies Euro and pound are higher and will from now on always be. It´s expected.

The circus all over the world seemed amazingly to involve everybody BUT Thailand, who´s currensy gained against whoever you compared it to. Well, actually not to the "rising" dollar, hahaha. 34,75 instead of 34. :D .

But what you are saying is true. Thailand halfway live out of the rich Europeans coming here and spending like crazy. And i do beleive that when exchangerates turn to bad they will go elsewhere on their holiday. So infact, Thailand might loose on a stronger currency.

It´s the sad truth....

I should imagine this suits Thaksin, good time to change all his bahts into pounds........

Yes but he has to get them 'unfrozen' first ....

The baht has always been 'more or less' pegged to the dollar (except when in crisis re: 97) ... as most trading out of thailand is done in USD (even to europe)

The dollar is high because debt in USD have to be paid back .. therefore the demand for usd is huge (as is the demand for the yen to pay back these carry trade loans)

The AUD has been hammered by the fact that it was a high yielding currency (and commodities where at a high) and people bought a large amount of AUD (with yen borrowing), now it is pay back time ...

Stay in cash, be patient, and eventually corrections will happen.

Well thats my thinking, i am not into these things to much

'And maybe your 2 pound fifty bottle of Singha as it looks likely interest rates in the UK will be cut this/next week.....be prepared for a rather sharp drop...ouch'

just paid £2.70 a bottle of tiger last night in the local thai restaurant in the uk, clever peeps don't do draught and make a shed load on bottles

am having to bring money over from OZ soon for visa requirements and its gonna hurt cos that really puts my cost of living up in LOS by 30%..............so for example a takeaway pad kaprow at say 45 baht is now costing over 2 dollars AUD a heineken at say 80 baht now costs 4dollars AUD.Plus interest rates on savings have declined in OZ over the last 6 months by 3%..............will have to drink leo soon and buy noodles from noodle cart,then if it gets worse you will find me sleeping outside 711 in chaweng beach road.At least its warm here!!!!!!!!.

am having to bring money over from OZ soon for visa requirements and its gonna hurt cos that really puts my cost of living up in LOS by 30%..............so for example a takeaway pad kaprow at say 45 baht is now costing over 2 dollars AUD a heineken at say 80 baht now costs 4dollars AUD.Plus interest rates on savings have declined in OZ over the last 6 months by 3%..............will have to drink leo soon and buy noodles from noodle cart,then if it gets worse you will find me sleeping outside 711 in chaweng beach road.At least its warm here!!!!!!!!.

Witch 7/11, don't even think of taking over my turf. :o

Witch 7/11, don't even think of taking over my turf. :o

the one near soi greenmango,see you there soon,i see the aussie govt.have just reduced the base rate by 0.75%,i maybe there sooner than i want to be.cheers.

am having to bring money over from OZ soon for visa requirements and its gonna hurt cos that really puts my cost of living up in LOS by 30%

Check your current visa requirements - immigration may have reduced/dropped some of the capital requirements for your particular visa.

As for the AUD vs Baht, hang in there if you can because the worst is probably over for the Oz$ vs other currencies - expect 25-27 Baht to the AUD by year's end.

am having to bring money over from OZ soon for visa requirements and its gonna hurt cos that really puts my cost of living up in LOS by 30%

Check your current visa requirements - immigration may have reduced/dropped some of the capital requirements for your particular visa.

As for the AUD vs Baht, hang in there if you can because the worst is probably over for the Oz$ vs other currencies - expect 25-27 Baht to the AUD by year's end.

encouranging reply jose,i hope you are right and yes i will check immigration thanks.