Permanent residency and house book.

I understand that to have permanent residency, one must be registered in a house book. I don't know the different colors. 

Can I register my address as a rented condo or hotel room, or must I be listed under the house book of somebody who actually owns a residence?

11 minutes ago, Peabody said:

I understand that to have permanent residency, one must be registered in a house book. I don't know the different colors. 

Can I register my address as a rented condo or hotel room, or must I be listed under the house book of somebody who actually owns a residence?

Take a look at this website. It explains about Permanent Residency

Thai Permanent Residency

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks, Joe. The only reference to a house book is this and it doesn't answer the question. 

"Once approved, the blue book of residency will be issued to the successful applicant where he/she can then register the place of residence in Thailand and proceed to apply for an alien book which is equivalent to a Thai ID card."

The reason I'm asking is I have a friend who received permanent residency several years ago. He was first listed under his BKK Thai lawyer's house book, even though he was living in a BKK condo that he rented and, since he has now moved to Pattaya is renting a condo here, has had his listing moved to a different local Thai lawyer's house book. He insists that he can't live in an abode that he doesn't own and register under his own house book.

3 minutes ago, IronByron said:

To my knowledge you need to have your name in a house book of somebody who actually owns a residence.

Thanks. That is what he told me. So he couldn't have his address listed at a hotel then?

After you get your PR you need to get registered in a blue house book. If this blue book can be a hotel.. I don´t think that would work. Kind of strange to be able to get PR status by living in a hotel in the first place.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Peabody said:

Well, he actually lives in a condo. Could he be listed in the blue book of the condo (non-Thai) owner?

Blue book is for Thai Nationals. If a Thai National lives at this condo and blue book is in this person's name then with agreement he can be included in the book.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Peabody said:

Thanks, Joe. The only reference to a house book is this and it doesn't answer the question. 

"Once approved, the blue book of residency will be issued to the successful applicant where he/she can then register the place of residence in Thailand and proceed to apply for an alien book which is equivalent to a Thai ID card."

What is the source of the paragraph above?

Does the paragraph above come from an official government website or the website of a commercial for profit organization? 

15 hours ago, Peabody said:

The reason I'm asking is I have a friend who received permanent residency several years ago. He was first listed under his BKK Thai lawyer's house book, even though he was living in a BKK condo that he rented and, since he has now moved to Pattaya is renting a condo here, has had his listing moved to a different local Thai lawyer's house book. He insists that he can't live in an abode that he doesn't own and register under his own house book.

I achieved PR 27 years ago. I didn't own any type of resident, When I achieved PR, I rented a house. When my PR book was issued my name was added to the dark blue Tabien Baan book of a Thai friend. Later I bought a house (under a company name, 51% of the shares owned by me) and my name was moved to the dark blue Tabien baan book for the house I bought.

I hope various lawyers have not insisted that the foreigners name has to be in the Tabien Baan book of a lawyer because that's absolutely not true. I'm mentioning this because i'm aware of a Thai law firm which insists that every application for PR had to be lodged by a Thai lawyer, which is not true. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Peabody said:

I think that could have got lost in translation.

Alien Book = Yellow House book.... once you have the yellow book, you then can have a Pink ID card.

But I think you must be registered in the Blue book first.

download(15).jpg.c5fa2e52d587e2cbe691ba92fc9f3c79.jpgdownload(16).jpg.e2e7245debfbde833c9a3cb490b25065.jpg

14 hours ago, rimmae2 said:

Blue book is for Thai Nationals. If a Thai National lives at this condo and blue book is in this person's name then with agreement he can be included in the book.

Not exectly. Every house\condo is issued with a blue book whether a Thai person is living there or no one lives there. One can own many houses\condo units, but can only be registered in one book at a time. If the OP rents a condo (or a house) he can ask the owner to be registered in the rented place blue book.

OP - a PR has to be registered at the local police in the same sub district as the house he's registered in. It doesn't really matter if you actually live in that place - many Thai people live in a one province while registered in another

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I think that could have got lost in translation.

Alien Book = Yellow House book.... once you have the yellow book, you then can have a Pink ID card.

But I think you must be registered in the Blue book first.

download(15).jpg.c5fa2e52d587e2cbe691ba92fc9f3c79.jpgdownload(16).jpg.e2e7245debfbde833c9a3cb490b25065.jpg

A PR must be registered in a blue House book just like a Thai citizen, not in a yellow book. The link id card is actually meant for labor workers from neighbouring countries, but any non resident can get one if registered in a yellow book (as non residents cannot be registered in a blue book).a PR can get the pink id card based on the blue book, but it is useless as a PR is also issued with a red book which is actually an id book and by law must carry it with him anywhere he goes (although most don't...)

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, LukKrueng said:

A PR must be registered in a blue House book just like a Thai citizen, not in a yellow book. The link id card is actually meant for labor workers from neighbouring countries, but any non resident can get one if registered in a yellow book (as non residents cannot be registered in a blue book).a PR can get the pink id card based on the blue book, but it is useless as a PR is also issued with a red book which is actually an id book and by law must carry it with him anywhere he goes (although most don't...)

I am on a Marriage extension and I am in the Blue book, of 'my wife's house'.

I have a yellow house book and a Pink card. 

I have PR...when your PR is approved, immigration give you a letter to take to your district office instructing them to put your name on the blue book of your residence.

4 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Not exectly. Every house\condo is issued with a blue book whether a Thai person is living there or no one lives there. One can own many houses\condo units, but can only be registered in one book at a time. If the OP rents a condo (or a house) he can ask the owner to be registered in the rented place blue book.

OP - a PR has to be registered at the local police in the same sub district as the house he's registered in. It doesn't really matter if you actually live in that place - many Thai people live in a one province while registered in another

ALL OF THIS I KNOW AS A LONG TIME PR AND OWNER OF MORE THAN ONE PROPERTY. JUST GAVE A MORE SIMPLE ANSWER.

On 5/23/2024 at 9:31 AM, Peabody said:

As foreigner you can be registered in a Yellow House Book for foreigners and obtain a pink ID-card for foreigners. When you get permanent residency, you can be obtained in the Blue House Book, just like Thai citizens, and get a "normal" Thai ID-card.

6 minutes ago, khunPer said:

As foreigner you can be registered in a Yellow House Book for foreigners and obtain a pink ID-card for foreigners. When you get permanent residency, you can be obtained in the Blue House Book, just like Thai citizens, and get a "normal" Thai ID-card.

Thai ID card comes with Citizenship, not PR.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

a PR is also issued with a red book which is actually an id book and by law must carry it with him anywhere he goes

And what law is that?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, thainet said:

Thai ID card comes with Citizenship, not PR.

Agreed.  I also thought that you actually had to have citizenship, not PR to obtain/put your name in a Thai Tabian Baan.

Edited by MangoKorat