Thai Language Lessons At The Library

looby

Hi there, does anyone go to these lessons?

I am arriving next week, for a five month stay and want to go there, I like the idea that for every person who pays to join the library, two underprivileged children get free membership. :o

I am arriving next week, for a five month stay and want to go there, I like the idea that for every person who pays to join the library, two underprivileged children get free membership. :o

I go. The students seem to come and go but, it is a congenial atmosphere and you can proceed at your own pace. 100 Bht if you're a member.

I go. The students seem to come and go but, it is a congenial atmosphere and you can proceed at your own pace. 100 Bht if you're a member.

Sounds good. Some details please? Where is this library and when exactly are the lessons?

I can't remember the times etc, but all the details are in one of the freebie magazines, around and about. Also think i saw details in the weekly Pattaya paper.

I am glad to hear I can learn at my own pace, because i really am a beginner.

"The NORTH STAR LIBRARY was established as a library for foreigner's and Thai's. It has books covering all kinds of subjects, and in many languages. It is for you.

The library is located on Sukhumvit Road, between Pattaya Central Road and North Pattaya Road, on the Pattaya Bay side of the road - look for the sign "North Star Library", next to the Redemptorist Center, and opposite the Index Furniture store. Please call them for information and directions at 038-716-755.

It is open at the following times:

Mondays - 12.00–20.00,

Thursdays - 12.00-16.00

Fridays - 12.00-16.00,

Saturdays - 12.00-20.00

Sundays - 10.00-14.00.

The Library often has classes in beginning Thai, and computer training for those new to computers. The computer courses are given frequently, are in English, are usually from 8:00 AM to noon for one full week, Monday thru Friday, and are free to members of the Library. Please call them at 038-716-755 for more information. There is a support fee to join the library, based on a 6 or 12 monthly membership. The library operates on the fees it receives, plus donations, and happily accepts volunteer help. A half year membership costs 800 baht for a single person, 1200 baht for a family membership. A one year membership costs 1200 baht for a single person, and 2000 baht for a family membership.

The library has an interesting range of fiction, and reference books, including some out-of-print early Thai books. The extensive video library (VCR only) is now available for rent, and has some excellent old movies and classics, as well as modern movies.

Thursday afternoon activities include mahjong playing, from 1:00 PM onwards. A fee of 50 baht applies for non members.

The Library has a meeting room available throughout the week for a nominal rental charge.

There is a play group for children up to 3 years old which is open Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings from 10.00 am to 12.00 noon. There is a fee of 250 baht per morning for this group.

"

• 2 weeks later...
thanks for all that, but can you give me any more info on the times/days on the language classes please.

am here now, thought the classes where on tuesdays, but my memory may be rubbish.

thanks

Please call them at 038-716-755 for more information

I walked by the library the other day on one of my walkabouts of Pattaya. It is on the West side of Sukhumvit, between North Pattaya Road and Central Pattaya Road. So, to drive there, best to be heading south. It was late in the day and it was closed. I intend to visit it while here during this stay. I am staying on Soi Yume not far from Carre Four so I will meander up there again.

just to follow up in case anyone else interested - i went on friday and complete beginners are on wednesdays!!! same time, same place.

I'll try again! Although did learn to count in Thai, so certainly not a waste.