Jet Ski Accident Injured 5 Banana Boat Passengers.

Pattaya_Fox

Jet Ski accident injured 5 Banana Boat passengers.

Police were called to the scene of a Jet Ski Accident which occurred on Jomtien Beach on Thursday Afternoon, resulting in 5 people sustaining injuries. The driver of the Jet Ski, a Thai Man who refused to give us his name, claimed that he panicked when he realized he was about to collide with a Banana Boat which crossed his path. Instead of reducing his speed, he hit the accelerator instead and a collision occurred. The 5 occupants of the Banana Boat sustained a variety of minor injuries and were taken to Hospital. The Thai Man assumed full responsibility for the crash and will pay for the medical care for the injured and also for the damage he caused to the Jet Ski he had rented. We would like to warn anyone who decides to rent a Jet Ski here in Pattaya to ensure that your Travel Insurance will cover you for such accidents. If you do not have such insurance then you should ensure that the Jet Ski Operator has the correct insurance to cover you.

Pattaya One News

Thursday 23rd October 2008.

post-15964-1224764819_thumb.jpgpost-15964-1224764800_thumb.jpgpost-15964-1224764784_thumb.jpg

This doesn't surprise me in the least, and it's certainly not the first time this sort of thing has happened.

As I said in my little "Bang Sarae Jet Ski thread", the Thais drive these machines like maniacs - in out of swimmers and banana boats at breakneck speeds, and many of them certainly appear to be drunk.

If you sit on Pattaya beach on a holiday weekend - it's like something out of "Rollerball"

There are many scandals in this city, but it's downright disgrace that a rule hasn't been enforced insisting that the Jet skis are confined to a cordoned off area, and away from all other holiday makers.

What's the betting that the Thai who caused the accident is not arrested, and will probably never pay the promised compensation. I'm sure the Jet ski Mafia's union, will ensure that justice is never done

I agree, it's highly unlikely the Thai man will follow up on his agreement to fairly compensate the victims.

In the bigger picture, I was in Pattaya recently and was concerned by the jetskis and motorboats coming in close to shore - where kids were frolicking in the tiny surf. I tried waving some of the motorized punks away, but to no avail. I was more likely to get a kick to the butt for my efforts.

Strange reaction to hit the accelerator when confronted with an imminent crash??????

I would assume that the normal and automatic reaction would be to hit the breaks or try to swerve out of the way. I see this maniac driving everyday on the motorbikes too. If you watch the eyes of these drivers, you can see a 'tunnel vision' stare as they fly down the roads. They don't break, slow down, yield, or even try to swerve around pedestrians. This is intentional and violent/criminal driving nature.

I guess these same clowns are the ones on the jet skis and boats too.

I think they use vehicles as weapons to endanger innocent folks and to claim some kind of territorial ownership/power by being extremely aggressive.

Stay off the roads and the water. Insurance might cover your assss, but it won't save your life in a high speed crash.

Edited by innovator

At the very least, these jet-ski operators should be required to carry mandatory

insurance if they're going to be in the rental business. Not a week goes by where

you don't see a crowd gathered around some hapless tourist who is being accused

of having damaged the jet-ski. But still, people go and rent these things, bonkers. :o

Strange reaction to hit the accelerator when confronted with an imminent crash??????

I would assume that the normal and automatic reaction would be to hit the breaks or try to swerve out of the way. I see this maniac driving everyday on the motorbikes too. If you watch the eyes of these drivers, you can see a 'tunnel vision' stare as they fly down the roads. They don't break, slow down, yield, or even try to swerve around pedestrians. This is intentional and violent/criminal driving nature.

I think they use vehicles as weapons to endanger innocent folks and to claim some kind of territorial ownership/power by being extremely aggressive.

Stay off the roads and the water. Insurance might cover your assss, but it won't save your life in a high speed crash.

I completely agree with all your Post but am a little taken aback by the bold part, how do you propose people get anywhere if they should stay off the Roads & Water ?? :o:D

I completely agree with all your Post but am a little taken aback by the bold part, how do you propose people get anywhere if they should stay off the Roads & Water ?? :o:D

airplanes/helicopters :D

The Royal Thai Navy issued a directive a couple of years back that these jet-skis were classed as a sea-going vessel and had to have a licensed pilot on board.

Just enforce the law - the problems are with the vested interests groups - jet-ski rentals / baht-bus / drugs pushers - all are left alone by the local plod in return for contributions to the pension fund.