Spouse Visa Applied For In Australia ?

Is it possible to apply for a spouse visa whilst on a tourist visa in Australia.I know that if there is a condition of no further stay on the visa ,you can not apply for any other visa's whilst in Australia.But I have been told that it can be waviered in Australia and you can apply for your spouse visa.Any opinions would be appreciated.I am just looking away around waiting the 3 or 4 months as we have a 18 month old child.Thanks

I had a meeting with a migration agent on Monday and was told that if there is the condition "NO FURTHER STAY" on my wifes visa she can not apply for the spouse visa in Australia.But can apply in Thailand whilst on her visitors visa in Australia and simply return to Thailand and have the spouse visa issued.Or if the condition "NO FURTHER STAY" (is not on her visa) we can apply for the spouse visa in Australia.It is an extra $700:00 in Australia.So at the end of the day it's $700:00 here or a airfare there.Now all I hope for is that condition not being put on her visa.So guy's how many of you have had the condition "8503" attached to there G/F or wifes visitors visa.And does having a child with citizenship change anything ?

I had a meeting with a migration agent on Monday and was told that if there is the condition "NO FURTHER STAY" on my wifes visa she can not apply for the spouse visa in Australia.But can apply in Thailand whilst on her visitors visa in Australia and simply return to Thailand and have the spouse visa issued.Or if the condition "NO FURTHER STAY" (is not on her visa) we can apply for the spouse visa in Australia.It is an extra $700:00 in Australia.So at the end of the day it's $700:00 here or a airfare there.Now all I hope for is that condition not being put on her visa.So guy's how many of you have had the condition "8503" attached to there G/F or wifes visitors visa.And does having a child with citizenship change anything ?

Carpy

I took my wife and our daughter to Oz in late 2006. Just had a look at her visa label.......NO 8503 condition on it.

She actually only applied for a single entry, but was given a multi :D

Not sure if having a daughter who is an Aussie by descent with a Australian passport helped or not :o

Most who get a single entry visa have the condition attached.

Having a child doesnt change anything.

Thanks guy's for the insight of other peoples experiences.The only reason we are not going to apply for the spouse visa now is because christmas and the sons 2nd birthday in Feb.If we go for the spouse now there is no way it would be done before christmas.Any more experiences with that 8503 condition from others would be a good indication.

What a wonderful little phrase "no further stay" can cost if you don't know the implications of having put your wife's tourist visa.

Approached my federal member after having my application to waiver 8503 refused as i was not dying in hospital and was told by his secretary no chance whatsoever. So with all the paperwork back to Bangkok my wife will go, wait and then fly back to join me.

I asked DIAC if i could pay here as the exchange is so low at the moment and was told it was $2,105 to pay here. When I asked how come it is only $1,420 in Bangkok I was told I was already married and as the extra was payable on a prospective marriage visa when your permanent visa is done you may as well it now. If i didn't need to be in Aus both of us would both go home to Thailand tomorrow and stick their spouse visa.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the wife picks up her visa on Monday along with our son's passport.She got 6 months with very little trouble.Now the wait to see if it has that bad condition "NO FURTHER STAY" on it fingers crossed.Now the flights have gone thru the roof from Bkk to Australia.Best price I can get is 42,000 baht return very pricey.Anyone no a good travel agent I can book on line or the best way to get from Bkk to Brisbane.Cheers for all your thoughts.

Well the wife picks up her visa on Monday along with our son's passport.She got 6 months with very little trouble.Now the wait to see if it has that bad condition "NO FURTHER STAY" on it fingers crossed.Now the flights have gone thru the roof from Bkk to Australia.Best price I can get is 42,000 baht return very pricey.Anyone no a good travel agent I can book on line or the best way to get from Bkk to Brisbane.Cheers for all your thoughts.

Carpy

Congratulations to you and your wife. Brisbane here you come.

I would be interested to know whether she has Condition 8503 attached. Keep in mind though that the imposition of Condition 8503 is mandatory on a subclass 679 sponsored visitor visa, but only discretionary on a subclass 676 tourist visa.

One another note, airfares have seemingly gone through the roof. I am heading back to Sydney in a few weeks for about 10 days. I did quite a bit of searching, and the best fare I got was just under 27,000baht with Philippine Airlines. Downside is it is not direct, and I think it is only valid for two months. From memory Thai was about 38,000baht, but I am not sure what the validity period was.

Regards

bridge

You do not say when you are going or how long you are going to stay, Thai have a 35 day 90 day and 1 year tickets, Singapore have 35, 6mths and 1 year. Try Malaysian and of course avoid the school holidays if possible. Get the BKK post and go through the agents there. Good luck.

Guy's I have been in Australia for the last 7 weeks and the wife has been doing all the leg work back and forth from Udon to Vietine for her visa and the sons passport.The cheapest fare I have so far is about 42,000 baht for 1 adult and a infant.valid 6 months.Bangkok - Singapore - Brisbane.Any other fares known by anyone would be helpful.

And after living in Thailand for the past 5 years I have found it hard to settle back in Australia ,back on the tools in a proper job.I know I am not the only one ,many others have had to come back to reality.

Have you applied for Jetstar's on-line email notifications?

I'm not over keen on them, but have used them a few times MEL-BKK and return and have rarely paid any more than about $350 all up. They had their latest sale a few days ago.

Have also used Qantas points on Jetstar of which I have a reasonable amount, but I get a bit sh___y that using the points doesn't give you any privledges like meals etc that you get if on a QF flight.

Other than Jetstar I use SQ of course via Singapore, but with excellent connections.

Luckily I locked in SQ 1 year tickets, fully date changeable for my wife and I to cover the next 1 year, booked on-line out of SQ Bangkok. I did this a few months ago when the A$ was around 31 Baht, goodness knows what the same fare would cost now!

You can also use "Tiger" again via Singapore, but the connections are not good and their special fares always seem to be a long long way ahead.

• 11 months later...

Just a follow up on all this 8503 stuff... my partner came here on a sponsored Tourist visa the first time and then back 1 month after returning to thailand on a Sponsored Medical Treatment Visa (pregnant) due to the fact we were honest about her going to hospital (I don't recommend this unless you have savings.. having a baby is expensive and we paid for it every step of the way).

We are returning to thailand with our 2month old son as we want to see her family and did all the medical tests etc over there (if we applied here, we'd have to do it all again).

Just out of curiosity while i was getting my son's passport, I asked immigration about her visa and handed them her passport... it has the 8503 printed on the visa label, but the guy at immigration looked up the computer and said "there's no restrictions on her visa, so she can apply here if you like".

I was very surprised by this. We're happily going back to the embassy that knows us in BKK (hope that helps it all go more quickly), but if you're stuck - ask at the nearest immigration office. You might be surprised by what was put in the system at the other end.