King Of Cereals

Lelipad

Just unpretentious rough guess, probably originated from my previous activity in the soil products field, and which I hope could be considered Thailand related being Thailand the biggest world exporter of rice.

During the first 63 of my 70 years during which I lived in the West, my rice consumption could be considered small. I think I had rice one time per month. But during the last 7 years I am living here I am eating rice every day. My thought that the wheat was the king of the cereals was perhaps a mistake. I wonder how many millions of tons of wheat are globally harvested and eaten every year and how many of rice. I also consider that the rice, once harvested and shelled, can be eaten immediately. On the contrary the way to become eatable for the wheat after harvested and shelled is still long and costly. It has to be milled and if it is durum wheat the resulting semolina has to stand a long industrial process to become pasta. If it is soft, the resulting flour has again to stand a long industrial process to become bread or cakes.

Just a couple of thoughts on this:

1. WHITE rice is junk food. It contains alnost nothing except pure starch. It has served developing countries well because of its high calorific content only. Almost no roughage, vitamins or minerals. However, brown rice is much better. In contrast, potatoes and bread contain much more in the way of vitamins, fibre and minerals.

2. The agricultural technologies required for producing a huge variety of foods from wheat (as you rightly mention) has been the stimulus leading to other industrial technologies and has been the starting point for the industrial revolution of the west. The earliest technologies of the earliest technological superpower (China) MAY have been based on wheat (noodles), rather than rice.

"Sausage, Egg, Beans, Bacon, Toast (Wheat), Fried Bread (Wheat) and Black Pudding.

or Cornflakes. (Wheat)"

Hmmm. Wonder why ther are'nt called wheat flakes??

Ummmmm,

Ahh. :D

:o:D :D :D

I'll go for a helping of wheatabix then!

However, not to forget that a great part of northern African population is relying on millet (couscous) as for their staple diet.

Nutritional value per 100 g Rice (3.5 oz)

Energy 370 kcal 1530 kJ

Carbohydrates 79.95 g

- Sugars 0.12 g

- Dietary fiber 1.3 g

Fat 0.66 g

Protein 7.13 g

Thiamin (Vit. B1) 0.070 mg 5%

Riboflavin (Vit. B2) 0.049 mg 3%

Niacin (Vit. B3) 1.6 mg 11%

Pantothenic acid (B5) 1.014 mg 20%

Vitamin B6 0.164 mg 13%

Folate (Vit. B9) 8 μg 2%

Calcium 28 mg 3%

Iron 0.80 mg 6%

Magnesium 25 mg 7%

Phosphorus 115 mg 16%

Potassium 115 mg 2%

Zinc 1.09 mg 11%

Manganese 1.088 mg

Nutritional value of Wheat germ crude per 100 g (3.5 oz)

Energy 360 kcal 1510 kJ

Carbohydrates 51.8 g

- Dietary fiber 13.2 g

Fat 9.72 g

Protein 23.15 g

Thiamin (Vit. B1) 1.882 mg 145%

Riboflavin (Vit. B2) 0.499 mg 33%

Niacin (Vit. B3) 6.813 mg 45%

Pantothenic acid (B5) 0.05 mg 1%

Vitamin B6 1.3 mg 100%

Folate (Vit. B9) 281 μg 70%

Calcium 39 mg 4%

Iron 6.26 mg 50%

Magnesium 239 mg 65%

Phosphorus 842 mg 120%

Potassium 892 mg 19%

Zinc 12.29 mg 123%

Manganese 13.301 mg

-Wiki-

Guess this is about "brown" unpolished Rice and Wheat!

At first glance wheat does have a much higher nutritional value then rice, but then in tropical climates people do not need as much calories, nutrients then in colder, temperate climates!

However, I prefer a good mix of it all, some Pasta, Pizza, whole wheat bread, Rice, Couscous, Nan, Roti, Nachos, Tortillas...

"Sausage, Egg, Beans, Bacon, Toast (Wheat), Fried Bread (Wheat) and Black Pudding.

or Cornflakes. (Wheat)"

Ummmmm,

:o:D:D:D

However, not to forget that a great part of northern African population is relying on millet (couscous) as for their staple diet.

Energy 370 kcal 1530 kJ

Carbohydrates 79.95 g

- Sugars 0.12 g

- Dietary fiber 1.3 g

Fat 0.66 g

Protein 7.13 g

Vitamin B6 0.164 mg 13%

Folate (Vit. B9) 8 μg 2%

Calcium 28 mg 3%

Iron 0.80 mg 6%

Magnesium 25 mg 7%

Phosphorus 115 mg 16%

Potassium 115 mg 2%

Zinc 1.09 mg 11%

Manganese 1.088 mg

Energy 360 kcal 1510 kJ

Carbohydrates 51.8 g

- Dietary fiber 13.2 g

Fat 9.72 g

Protein 23.15 g

Vitamin B6 1.3 mg 100%

Calcium 39 mg 4%

Iron 6.26 mg 50%

Magnesium 239 mg 65%

Phosphorus 842 mg 120%

Potassium 892 mg 19%

Zinc 12.29 mg 123%

Manganese 13.301 mg

-Wiki-

At first glance wheat does have a much higher nutritional value then rice, but then in tropical climates people do not need as much calories, nutrients then in colder, temperate climates!

However, I prefer a good mix of it all, some Pasta, Pizza, whole wheat bread, Rice, Couscous, Nan, Roti, Nachos, Tortillas...

You have given some percentage figures without explaining them - they could mean anything. I suspect they refer to the daily requirement of each component in wheat and BROWN rice which means white rice is much less.

I also doubt that people in tropical climates have less need for calories and other essential nutrients - remember many are in developing countries where undernourishment is rife and alternative sources of essentials are not available to them. White rice is a very poor staple for them, but it is all that many have.

or Cornflakes. (Wheat)"

Ummmmm,

Energy 370 kcal 1530 kJ

Carbohydrates 79.95 g

- Sugars 0.12 g

- Dietary fiber 1.3 g

Fat 0.66 g

Protein 7.13 g

Vitamin B6 0.164 mg 13%

Folate (Vit. B9) 8 μg 2%

Calcium 28 mg 3%

Iron 0.80 mg 6%

Magnesium 25 mg 7%

Phosphorus 115 mg 16%

Potassium 115 mg 2%

Zinc 1.09 mg 11%

Manganese 1.088 mg

Energy 360 kcal 1510 kJ

Carbohydrates 51.8 g

- Dietary fiber 13.2 g

Fat 9.72 g

Protein 23.15 g

Vitamin B6 1.3 mg 100%

Calcium 39 mg 4%

Iron 6.26 mg 50%

Magnesium 239 mg 65%

Phosphorus 842 mg 120%

Potassium 892 mg 19%

Zinc 12.29 mg 123%

Manganese 13.301 mg

-Wiki-

You have given some percentage figures without explaining them - they could mean anything. I suspect they refer to the daily requirement of each component in wheat and BROWN rice which means white rice is much less.

I also doubt that people in tropical climates have less need for calories and other essential nutrients - remember many are in developing countries where undernourishment is rife and alternative sources of essentials are not available to them. White rice is a very poor staple for them, but it is all that many have.

Sorry, if you don't understand, it's self explaining, it says clearly Nutritional value per 100 gr.

So it looks that the "King of Cereal" in nutritional terms is clearly wheat.

The problem with undernourishment is access, NOT The quality of the nutrients, NO access to enough nutrients, and/or very poor resources, climatic conditions!

Yes and the consumption of brown rice would be highly beneficial to the consumers, but is the same irrationality in western societies with white flour, bleached sugar, salt... with much of the highly questionable processed, industrialized foods.

or Cornflakes. (Wheat)"

Ummmmm,

Energy 370 kcal 1530 kJ

Carbohydrates 79.95 g

- Sugars 0.12 g

- Dietary fiber 1.3 g

Fat 0.66 g

Protein 7.13 g

Vitamin B6 0.164 mg 13%

Folate (Vit. B9) 8 μg 2%

Calcium 28 mg 3%

Iron 0.80 mg 6%

Magnesium 25 mg 7%

Phosphorus 115 mg 16%

Potassium 115 mg 2%

Zinc 1.09 mg 11%

Manganese 1.088 mg

Energy 360 kcal 1510 kJ

Carbohydrates 51.8 g

- Dietary fiber 13.2 g

Fat 9.72 g

Protein 23.15 g

Vitamin B6 1.3 mg 100%

Calcium 39 mg 4%

Iron 6.26 mg 50%

Magnesium 239 mg 65%

Phosphorus 842 mg 120%

Potassium 892 mg 19%

Zinc 12.29 mg 123%

Manganese 13.301 mg

-Wiki-

Sorry, if you don't understand, it's self explaining, it says clearly Nutritional value per 100 gr.

So it looks that the "King of Cereal" in nutritional terms is clearly wheat.

The problem with undernourishment is access, NOT The quality of the nutrients, NO access to enough nutrients, and/or very poor resources, climatic conditions!

Yes and the consumption of brown rice would be highly beneficial to the consumers, but is the same irrationality in western societies with white flour, bleached sugar, salt... with much of the highly questionable processed, industrialized foods.

No I don't understand because the values seem meaningless. Explain what is meant by 145% for Thaimin. You seem to be saying that it is 145% in 100 gr. That is meaningless. I don't think you really understand do you? You have just lifted this data from the internet without thinking about it and then not explaining it. Another example is that the data for 'wheat' is for wheat germ. U know what that is? It's not the whole grain.

You also haven't understood my previous answer - I clearly implied that rice is often the main source of nutrients because there is little else for some people in developing countries. It has nothing to do with hot vs cool climates as you implied previously. It is to do with the availability of other nutrient sources in sufficient quantities. Education also plays a part. Got it now?

And the bleaching and processing of foods in developed countries is a separate issue - the cause is different (advertising, preferences etc) and the availability of other nutrient sources is greater, even for poorer people. You seem to have trouble resolving some of these issues.

Read somewhere,can't remember,happens a lot these days, that rice is the basic food source for approx. 50% of the world's population.

Cheap to produce with little manual labour , Asians are not work orientated , to produce organic rice containing more vitamins and a higher monetary return , takes 54 days instead of 48 , "Not interested "

Ever wonder why Asians in general are so skinny and die so young ? There are almost zilch vitamens in white rice , but they pay extra to get it procesed , brown rice is the way to go for nutrients .

Google it !!!

Can anyone advise me where I can buy cheap oats? I would prefer big packages, not those small 400gram bags.

You need more than just oats , buy musile which contains more in a small helping than just oats , take them with soy milk for even more beneficial results .

Just unpretentious rough guess, probably originated from my previous activity in the soil products field, and which I hope could be considered Thailand related being Thailand the biggest world exporter of rice.

During the first 63 of my 70 years during which I lived in the West, my rice consumption could be considered small. I think I had rice one time per month. But during the last 7 years I am living here I am eating rice every day. My thought that the wheat was the king of the cereals was perhaps a mistake. I wonder how many millions of tons of wheat are globally harvested and eaten every year and how many of rice. I also consider that the rice, once harvested and shelled, can be eaten immediately. On the contrary the way to become eatable for the wheat after harvested and shelled is still long and costly. It has to be milled and if it is durum wheat the resulting semolina has to stand a long industrial process to become pasta. If it is soft, the resulting flour has again to stand a long industrial process to become bread or cakes.

You were correct the first 63 years of your life , the 'shelling' of the rice is the big problem , brown rice is health giving , white rice is merely a 'Filler' . You were in the soil products field ? Pity the poor consumer with your obviouse wealth of knowledge in nutrients .

I hate rice, tasteless and bland, in fact I hate all Thai food, fuc_k knows what I'll eat when I move there.

Western food is easily available here especially in the cities where tourists frequent. I love Thai food because the ingredients are always fresh and tasty and the dishes usually include copious amounts of stir fried vegetables. The only problem with Thai food is the high sugar, fat and salt content of many dishes, and maybe the pesticide content of the veggies, and spices if u don't like them, but the other factors I mentioned make it a healthy option. I don't eat rice at all now - having cut out most staple carbohydrates as part of my diet. For me thai food is great with just the meat and veggies. I used to love bread and potatoes and noodles but seldom eat them now and don't really miss them. I have puddings instead - couldn't do without them!

I hate rice, tasteless and bland, in fact I hate all Thai food, fuc_k knows what I'll eat when I move there.

Western food is easily available here especially in the cities where tourists frequent. I love Thai food because the ingredients are always fresh and tasty and the dishes usually include copious amounts of stir fried vegetables. The only problem with Thai food is the high sugar, fat and salt content of many dishes, and maybe the pesticide content of the veggies, and spices if u don't like them, but the other factors I mentioned make it a healthy option. I don't eat rice at all now - having cut out most staple carbohydrates as part of my diet. For me thai food is great with just the meat and veggies. I used to love bread and potatoes and noodles but seldom eat them now and don't really miss them. I have puddings instead - couldn't do without them!

How can Thai food be a healthy option when they contain high amounts of sugar , fat and salt ? Oh , do not forget the pesticides , covers about most of the WORST THINGS FOR YOUR HEALTH , noodles , puddings , MSG , wow , you are a true health nut .