Internet Scams

kevc

My friend has a small hotel and a couple of days ago got the I'd like to book 6 rooms at your facility by my VISA CARD scam, not knowing any different she replied and recieved a response asking for to charge for the rooms and also take out 142,000 baht for the rooms and 300,000 baht and transfer it to a "logistics company" to pay for the travel.

When I found out I told her not to make any further contact, but since then she's had a couple of dodgy looking bookings coming from two seperate e mail addresses ([email protected]), when I googled it it comes up linked to scams.

Anyboby out there have any experience with this of thing.

Thanks.

There are many internet anti scam sites that document the various cons, just do a google search (I know that doesn't sound helpful, but there are a lot).

Some very very obvious pointers.

If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is, most cons work on the principle of greed.

If they want you to keep some of the money or forward money on, its a con.

No bank/online store/building society etc will ever ever ask you to confirm your details via an email or via a link to thei site (it's a site set up by the fraudsters).

Ernest

My friend has a small hotel and a couple of days ago got the I'd like to book 6 rooms at your facility by my VISA CARD scam, not knowing any different she replied and recieved a response asking for to charge for the rooms and also take out 142,000 baht for the rooms and 300,000 baht and transfer it to a "logistics company" to pay for the travel.

When I found out I told her not to make any further contact, but since then she's had a couple of dodgy looking bookings coming from two seperate e mail addresses ([email protected]), when I googled it it comes up linked to scams.

Thanks.

Check the "Group Hotel Reservation Scam" part in this page: http://www.freemaninstitute.com/419new.htm.

But there are many other sites speaking about this kind of scam. Several friends of mine who are resort and guesthouse owners regularly receive fake bookings requesting special arrangements for the payment. Just ignore those and stand with your usual business practice on those matters.

Edited by Goyave

Thanks.

I have a lot experience with that.....

First is always ask for the billing adress. If your credicard system is good than it shows you where the card is issued. If not the security department of your bank can tell you with the first few digits. (but not that helpful for a hotel than for a company which ship product).

In the worst case ask for a scan of creditcard (there are few 1:1 copies around) AND a scan of Passport.

That of course may make some honest people unhappy so only do it if you worry (people from suspect areas do it, they are used to it).

If they don't want: Bank transfer or better Western Union.

Problem countries are: Nigeria, Indonesia, some other African countries, some eastern Europe countries: Mazedonia, Ex-Sovjet...some others.....Nigeria+USA creditcard is 100 % sure scam. Indonesia with USA creditcard 99%. Indonesia with Indonesian CC is most probably honest.......

People who want everything top urgent...people who don't care for the price....are most probable fraud.

Some are not silly....had one who negotiate hard for the lowest price so it looks more honest....

Thanks.

Check the "Group Hotel Reservation Scam" part in this page: http://www.freemaninstitute.com/419new.htm.

But there are many other sites speaking about this kind of scam. Several friends of mine who are resort and guesthouse owners regularly receive fake bookings requesting special arrangements for the payment. Just ignore those and stand with your usual business practice on those matters.

When I read that:

SHIPPING ADDRESS

276 AGEGE MOTOR ROAD,

MUSHIN,

LAGOS.

NIGERIA 23401

RECIPIENT NAME: DANBATTA SANI

I have seen adresses like that, but putting FRANCE instead of NIGERIA.

It seems the French postal service is so friendly, recognize the mistake, correct it and forward to the right country, while the uneducated senders Alarm bells won't ring at France.....

I wrote one shipment.....When I was at LA....I though what the <deleted>*** Lagos is NOT in France.

I've had a few suspect e-mails claiming I will be the beneficiary of hundreds of millions of dollars. All I have to do is send them my account details. There is a good website about scammer baiting http://www.419eater.com/ which is an interesting read, but honestly who has time to waste on these people?

Best delete or block the sender.

Edited by Swanky