Alternative To Retirement Visa

I'm a Brit who has lived in Thailand for several years, first on marriage visas, then retirement (combining pension with bank account). I've never left the country, never had to do visa runs.

Unfortunately, with the recent exchange rates, it could be difficult to reach the required 800,000 baht level in January. As a complete dummy regarding types of visas available, visa runs, etc., I would very much appreciate any information from experienced visa-sufferers as to what options may be available to me, to enable me to continue living here with my family.

Many thanks.

I'm a Brit who has lived in Thailand for several years, first on marriage visas, then retirement (combining pension with bank account). I've never left the country, never had to do visa runs.

Unfortunately, with the recent exchange rates, it could be difficult to reach the required 800,000 baht level in January. As a complete dummy regarding types of visas available, visa runs, etc., I would very much appreciate any information from experienced visa-sufferers as to what options may be available to me, to enable me to continue living here with my family.

Many thanks.

Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa would give up to 15 months stay needing a Visa run every 90 days. Should get from KL or Penang.

Get your Wife to pay Income Tax on an income of 40,000 Baht a month. Not my advise but members have reported doing this.

A lot of us are going to be in this boat. We can only hope that things get better.

There is a chance that they will allow you to go back to the marriage 400,000 Baht in the bank method. If you have not interupted your yearly extensions. And you are still married.

Depends on where you apply. Phone them and ask.

OK thanks very much. I've never broken the chain of one 1-year visas, so maybe I could revert back to the marriage visa you suggested.

Thanks again.

Immigration might grumble at you for going back to marriage extension. But there is no rule that says you can't.

If they won't let you do the 400,000 option and your pension is short of the 40,000 mark your wife could go ot the the tax office and declare enough income for the year to make up the difference. And then show the tax reciept to make up the difference when you make the application.

Immigration might grumble at you for going back to marriage extension. But there is no rule that says you can't.

If they won't let you do the 400,000 option and your pension is short of the 40,000 mark your wife could go ot the the tax office and declare enough income for the year to make up the difference. And then show the tax reciept to make up the difference when you make the application.

Joe. Using the Married option when you are grandfathered. You cannot mix and match as in the retirement option.

It has to be Income OR Bank deposit. Why ? I do not know, but as we all say TIT.

As the law stands he should be able to go back to the 400,000 in the bank method. It really all depends on where he applies and who he speaks to.

Joe. Using the Married option when you are grandfathered. You cannot mix and match as in the retirement option.

It has to be Income OR Bank deposit. Why ? I do not know, but as we all say TIT.

As the law stands he should be able to go back to the 400,000 in the bank method. It really all depends on where he applies and who he speaks to.

Read the my post again I didn't say anything about bank deposit with income. I said his wifes income. The rules say combined income for a marriage extension is allowed.

I was simply giving an option if they won't let him do the money in bank option.

Many thanks.

Are you over 50 with a Thai child? That is currently the easiest route if you meet the criteria. No money in the bank or income required (at least if you go to Suan Phlu - I've heard different elsewhere).

Read the my post again I didn't say anything about bank deposit with income. I said his wifes income. The rules say combined income for a marriage extension is allowed.

I was simply giving an option if they won't let him do the money in bank option.

Sorry Joe. Trying to read your post and follow the £ "recovery" at the same time.

All answers have been very helpful.

I've always obtained visas from Phibun, almost 12 years now. They have been great to me over the years, but last time, the lady who eventually signed the visa went through every dam_n page of my bank books, asking about usage and deposits. And this after 11 straight years of visas! Even the regular officer who handles the paperwork was embarrassed.

Yes, married and well over retirement age, but no child, and opted out of the marriage visa about 3 years ago, as it took so long, sometimes 3 months, to receive permission from Bangkok, and lots of paperwork:whereas the retirement visa takes an hour, or 2 when the lady is there!

Let we Brits hope that Brown and Darling can boost the pound.

All answers have been very helpful.

I've always obtained visas from Phibun, almost 12 years now. They have been great to me over the years, but last time, the lady who eventually signed the visa went through every dam_n page of my bank books, asking about usage and deposits. And this after 11 straight years of visas! Even the regular officer who handles the paperwork was embarrassed.

Yes, married and well over retirement age, but no child, and opted out of the marriage visa about 3 years ago, as it took so long, sometimes 3 months, to receive permission from Bangkok, and lots of paperwork:whereas the retirement visa takes an hour, or 2 when the lady is there!

Let we Brits hope that Brown and Darling can boost the pound.

Did my marriage extension at Phibun in August with no problem and it was done in the normal 30 days.They send the applications to Korat now instead of Bangkok so that may cut down the time.

I was real happy with the service they gave.

I will give you a hint though. If you are going to do the marriage extension see if you can get the local police to give you a letter confirming that you and your wife live together. Phibun gave us a letter to take to the police (in sealed envelope). Our local police then did a letter for us to take back to Phibun in a sealed envelope.

Pound is already looking better. So maybe you won't have a problem in January.

Good Luck

Joe

Joe/Lite - sorry I've been away from the computer. Thanks for your comments about marriage visa - didn't know that applications went to Korat instead of Bangkok.

Yes, Phibun immigration staff are usually decent, helpful people, especially as you get to know them over the years.

Joe, if Brown and Darling can get their act together then all will be well for poor old Brits soon.

Thanks to all from a newbie for your replies.

Can somebody clarify "400.000 Baht in the bank method"

I am married to a Thai wife and I am staying in Thailand on Non Immigrant O but in 2009 I will retire at the age of 65.

Hi fvw53

That option is not open to 'new' applicants. It WAS the requirement some years ago and in this post it was suggested because the OP had used it previously, so may be able to 'resurect' the old lower amount for his next appplication.

Dave

Can somebody clarify "400.000 Baht in the bank method"

I am married to a Thai wife and I am staying in Thailand on Non Immigrant O but in 2009 I will retire at the age of 65.

Sorry.

You need 40,000 Baht a month income for marriage OR 800,000 Baht in the bank or 65,000 a month for retirement.

Many thanks.

Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa would give up to 15 months stay needing a Visa run every 90 days. Should get from KL or Penang.

Get your Wife to pay Income Tax on an income of 40,000 Baht a month. Not my advise but members have reported doing this.

A lot of us are going to be in this boat. We can only hope that things get better.

There is a chance that they will allow you to go back to the marriage 400,000 Baht in the bank method. If you have not interupted your yearly extensions. And you are still married.

Depends on where you apply. Phone them and ask.

As I understand from someone from NK immigration, it is your choice.

Marriage or retirement visa.

The only thing is that the marriage visa brings more work for Imm, and takes longer to round of.

So if you are married, have 400,000 baht in the bank or can prove the required income or a combination of both, opt for the marriage visa.

And also very nice, maybe the clincher, try to get some official to make a note that you live together with your wife.

As I understand from someone from NK immigration, it is your choice.

Marriage or retirement visa.

The only thing is that the marriage visa brings more work for Imm, and takes longer to round of.

So if you are married, have 400,000 baht in the bank or can prove the required income or a combination of both, opt for the marriage visa.

And also very nice, maybe the clincher, try to get some official to make a note that you live together with your wife.

The 400,000 Baht in the bank is no longer an option for new applicants since October 2006.

Neither can it be a combination of both.

40,000 Baht a month family income is what is needed.

[Are you over 50 with a Thai child? That is currently the easiest route if you meet the criteria. No money in the bank or income required (at least if you go to Suan Phlu - I've heard different elsewhere).

I am not doubting what you say, but it's (good) news to me and, I would imagine, many other other expats who are over 50 and have a Thai/falang child. Can you quote the relevant regulation or ruling or indicate where this could be found? And does it apply only to people with marriage visas or people who like me are not married but have a permanent partner and are staying on a retirement visa?

Have you actually been granted a visa at San Plu in the circumstances you quote - and has anyone had the good fortune to successfully employ this apparent loophole at the Hua Hin immigration office, which happens to be my local office?

[Are you over 50 with a Thai child? That is currently the easiest route if you meet the criteria. No money in the bank or income required (at least if you go to Suan Phlu - I've heard different elsewhere).

I am not doubting what you say, but it's (good) news to me and, I would imagine, many other other expats who are over 50 and have a Thai/falang child. Can you quote the relevant regulation or ruling or indicate where this could be found? And does it apply only to people with marriage visas or people who like me are not married but have a permanent partner and are staying on a retirement visa?

Have you actually been granted a visa at San Plu in the circumstances you quote - and has anyone had the good fortune to successfully employ this apparent loophole at the Hua Hin immigration office, which happens to be my local office?

It has been done , but they do not like to do this.

No reports of success in Hua Hin.

This is the official ruling.

7/17 (5)

Anyone wanting to read a lot more on this. I managed to dig this up.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Acquired-1-Y...hl=new+passport

I started out with a Retirement extension visa.

They converted my 90 Day Tourist to Non Imm O at Suan Plu.

Then I went over to the Marriage Visa for a few years.

Now I am on the Thai child/dependent visa.

The requirements are very limited/easy.

Proof of a relationship/living together [not sure you need this though]

Child Birth Certificate

Marriage Cert if married.

Your passport and DL to prove who you are.

You SO's documents; ID card, passport, land deeds if any

The individual agent can ask for all sorts of documents even tho the

law does not require them. So bring everything you have that

might help; work permit, birth certificates, passports

[my child is a US citizen], bank letter confirming deposits

for 90 days, proof of income, Embassy letter for income,

Tax receipts of returns;

marriage certificate [i do not think you need to

be married for the child extension]

Good luck

Edited by paulfr

Many thanks.

I'm not sure what the situation is at the British Embassy/Consulates regarding providing a notarized statement regarding retirement income, but for US citizens it is a simple procedure of filling out a form, swearing the information is true, and signing it. The Notary is not responsible for vetting the information, only your oath. The Chiangmai immigration office, and from what I've heard almost all immigration offices in the country, are very pleased to accept this notarized statement as the required proof of income. As long as the stated monthly income exceeds the required 65,000 baht monthly income level all is well; no need for bank account statements or anything else. This was the advice given to me when I submitted a similar post similar to yours three or four months back, and it was excellent advice.

My actual experience a month ago was such that I spent an hour door to door from my house to the US Consulate and back one day, then another hour for the round trip to the CM immigration office the next and got home with the retirement visa for another year approved and stamped in my passport. That's about as painless as it gets, so I have no idea why, if you can go this route you'd want to fool around with the hassle of a marriage visa application, or bank statements even if you have them. The Thai immigration staff prefer this process as it eliminates a lot of work for them, so cater to their preferences if you can - its a win-win situation for everyone. Good luck

Many thanks.

Hi Elwood

I've read the Posts and excuse me if I missed it, but I didnt see anyone had advised you that your pension can easily be counted in the 800k Baht requirement!

You mentioned that you are well over retirement age! Even if you are on a reduced State Pension, of say £100 a week, this makes around 350k Baht to be deducted from the 800k, all you need to do is get the local UK Consul, (or the Embassy in Bangkok if necessary) to verify your retirement payment documents,including a bank statement showing the payments. You can get these pension doc's sent out to you from the Pension Services in UK,

Hope this helps :o

'm not sure what the situation is at the British Embassy/Consulates regarding providing a notarized statement regarding retirement income,

The British Embassy require original documentary evidence in order to provide an Income letter. This can be done via the post and if visiting the embassy, the letter is available the following day after you submit your application form with evidence. Sorry cannot remember the extortionate cost for this simple service.

Dave