Mugging By Blind Date Pretender

A good friend of mine was recently held up at gunpoint at an apartment building on upper Sukhumvit when he went to meet someone who was a supposed date. The "date" had contacted him through a Gaydar profile. When my friend, who was a tourist, arrived and went to the "date"'s room, another man was waiting with him. They drew a gun, cuffed my friend, and went through his wallet, removing the cash and credit cards. Then they brought my friend out to the main road, gave him 100B and told him to get in a taxi quietly.

My friend contacted the Thai police immediately and filed a complaint, and went back with them to the apartment building but the room was empty and the manager had no idea about who the two men were or how to contact them. My friend was also less than impressed with the attitude of the police.

Of course, my friend was a little unwise in arranging a first meeting with a stranger in a private place, and in bringing any unnecessary valuables to that meeting. It only goes to show that there are reasons for taking precautions over the internet; thank goodness he wasn't hurt. Let this be a warning to the rest of us- be careful and use common sense out there.

"Steven"

What a bullshit .... here it's thailand, that can not happend.

Or you friend bullshit (eg spend the money with money boy) or he was not in thailand but somewhere else (farang land certainly), and in ALL CASE , it can not be tahi citizen who act like that. It's well know thai are angel lol

All my sympathies to yourfriend, and glad he is still alive, remenber the Kwai river.

Seriously your mate should be more careful- always meet new people in a public place. I dare say until you really know someone for a bit - you should be careful, and even then that isnt a guaranteed.

Luckily your mate was only robbed- lot worse could have obviously happened.

That's true- though I think even the Thai police get a bit motivated when murders start up [that is, murders that have nothing to do with, ahem, "organized crime"] and would take it more seriously. Of course, things could have gone wrong and that might've endangered my friend even if they'd no intentions of doing anything to him.

At the very least, always let someone know where you are and who you're with, and if they come to your place get an id copy.

"Steven"