Delta Merges With Northwest

george

Delta merges with Northwest

DELTA Air Lines yesterday merged with Northwest Airlines, creating a combined company serving more than 375 cites with approximately 75,000 employees worldwide.

The new airline is called Delta Air Lines and is headquartered in Atlanta. Delta will maintain all its hubs at Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Memphis, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New York-JFK, Salt Lake City, and Tokyo.

The merger will occur through a thoughtful integration process over the next 12 to 24 months. Meanwhile, customers should continue to check-in and do business directly with the airline operating their flight just as they did before the merger.

Delta will continue operation of the airlines' separate web sites, www.delta.com and www.nwa.com, as well as the two airlines' reservation systems and loyalty programmes.

The merger is expected to generate US$2 billion or more in annual revenue and cost synergies.

The company expects to incur one-time cash costs not exceeding US$600 million to integrate the two airlines. As approved by both companies' stockholders earlier this year, Northwest stockholders will receive 1.25 Delta shares for each Northwest share they own.

-- ttgasia.com 2008-10-30

• 2 months later...

I've been looking on the web for a round trip BKK-Tampa-BKK. The best I have found so far is on the Northwest Airlines

Thailand site. With taxes and fees it is $1400 USD. At the regular NWA site the same ticket for the same dates is

$1700. If you reverse it to Tampa-BKK-Tampa it is $1200. It seems to me that the average Thai would have less money

than the average farang, so why would thus be so? Is the airline trying to get back at Thais for gouging foreigners at the

waterfalls?

I've been looking on the web for a round trip BKK-Tampa-BKK. The best I have found so far is on the Northwest Airlines

Thailand site. With taxes and fees it is $1400 USD. At the regular NWA site the same ticket for the same dates is

$1700. If you reverse it to Tampa-BKK-Tampa it is $1200. It seems to me that the average Thai would have less money

than the average farang, so why would thus be so? Is the airline trying to get back at Thais for gouging foreigners at the

waterfalls?

Willing to guess that if you searched flights from Singapore or KL to Tampa you would find the same....more expensive from here to there than the reverse.

I was proceeding with a dry run on the NWA Thailand site to see if anymore fees would be tacked on. Now I see they say, you must be a resident of Thailand to book on the site and will also need a credit card with Thai billing address. They don't say citizen or permanent resident. Has anyone ever used this or a similar site? I am wondering if a one year visa extension would qualify as a resident ?

I was proceeding with a dry run on the NWA Thailand site to see if anymore fees would be tacked on. Now I see they say, you must be a resident of Thailand to book on the site and will also need a credit card with Thai billing address. They don't say citizen or permanent resident. Has anyone ever used this or a similar site? I am wondering if a one year visa extension would qualify as a resident ?

I would guess that the credit card with Thai billing address would qualify you as a resident?