Thailand: A Safe Destination

HorseDoctor

Well I was using that as an example on safety in Thailand ,

Plenty of poor all over the world don't subject their children to accidents .

Plenty of poor would rather walk or take a bus than to put 2 todders and an infant on their lap while riding a motorcycle .

It's perfectly acceptable here, which argues my points- safety is not of paramount importance . Why would hospitals be any different?

So you think Thailand is as safe as say, your home country? And hospital care, have you had any experiences w that?

Jeez, how many children die every hour in poor countries through starvation or bad drinking water or mosquito bites ?

Have you that much inexperience in the world ?

<deleted> drives guys like you to come to Thailand, stay in Thailand go through the Visa bullshite in Thailand, them F-----ing moan baout Thailand like it's Thailands fault that you're here.

You obviously came from a western country with western values, what attracted you to Thailand ?

Are you one of those guys that comes to Thailand on a 3 week holiday , thinks he can come here to stay and his life will be one long holiday, when it isn't he blames Thailand and Thai people for the failure to meet up to his unrealistic expectations ?

Jeez mate....

Get real !!!

Tell me something, what countries have you ever been to to compare with Thailand, and if Thailand is so bad, and judging by your posts you seem to think it is, why don't you find a more suitable country ?

To stay here and moan seems crazy, leave and be happier seems the right thing to do, I know I would if I was so unhappy.

Edited by Maigo6

Plenty of poor would rather walk or take a bus than to put 2 todders and an infant on their lap while riding a motorcycle .

It's perfectly acceptable here, which argues my points- safety is not of paramount importance . Why would hospitals be any different?

So you think Thailand is as safe as say, your home country? And hospital care, have you had any experiences w that?

Jeez, how many children die every hour in poor countries through starvation or bad drinking water or mosquito bites ?

<deleted> drives guys like you to come to Thailand, stay in Thailand go through the Visa bullshite in Thailand, them F-----ing moan baout Thailand like it's Thailands fault that you're here.

You obviously came from a western country with western values, what attracted you to Thailand ?

Are you one of those guys that comes to Thailand on a 3 week holiday , thinks he can come here to stay and his life will be one long holiday, when it isn't he blames Thailand and Thai people for the failure to meet up to his unrealistic expectations ?

Jeez mate....

Get real !!!

Tell me something, what countries have you ever been to to compare with Thailand, and if Thailand is so bad, and judging by your posts you seem to think it is, why don't you find a more suitable country ?

To stay here and moan seems crazy, leave and be happier seems the right thing to do, I know I would if I was so unhappy.

he is a she, and a very miserable one too.

from previous posts it seems she wants to leave but can't because . . .ummmm . . she has some horses.

Jeez mate....

Get real !!!

he is a she, and a very miserable one too.

from previous posts it seems she wants to leave but can't because . . .ummmm . . she has some horses.

Big enough space to ride the horses instead of car. :o

Agreed. The OP is way off base.

I disagree.

Pollution is worldwide, depending on where you go.

There are very few places in the US as polluted as BKK. Trash is everywhere here, and throughout the rural areas as well. Much less so in the US.

USA drivers are way more agressive & dangerous than Thailand.

You are way off base on this. About half of US drivers practice defensive driving, the other half practice offensive driving. In Thailand only about 2% of the drivers drive defensively.

USA healthcare unaffordable for many & the waits long for certain types of care. Many places understaffed & also refusing to take Medicare the gov't healthcare for seniors.

Fair points. Agreed.

Arrogant dick-head nit-picking police with time to bust lap dancers & massage parlors, ambush motorists going 5 mph over the speed limit, etc, etc.

Again I must disagree. The police here are far more nitpicking. Heck, Thai police will even make you pay for doing nothing at all. Whenever I drive to Pattaya/Jomtien there is a very good chance of having to pay 500 bt for the privilege of driving on the road. Once I was hit for 1000 over 2 days for doing absolutely nothing wrong. It would never happen in the US. As far as lap dancers and massage parlors in the US, I wouldn't know.

Try muggings, car jackings, armed home invasions, street drug dealing, in most USA getto neighborhoods. I'll take Thailand any day.

I've been mugged here and hacked up with a machete here in Thailand. Never happened back home. Street drug dealing happens in every low-income neighborhood here. Home invasions are very common here. I haven't heard much about car-jackings, perhaps it hasn't caught on yet in Thailand. Car and motorcycle theft is extremely common in Thailand, sometimes by police gangs.

I'll take Thailand any day.

Me too! Lived here for 7 years and don't intend to leave. Just have to take the good with the bad. :o

Air quality? Try Phoenix or LA on a bad day. Same or worse than BKK.

50% USA driver practice defensive driving? I don't know where you get that stat, but if so the other half of them are agressive "in-your face" arrogant & ready to go off at any provocation. I have never been " flipped off by a Thia driver, but it was a common, everyday occurance in USA. Try driving in Phoenix, Miami or LA, not rural Montana or Wisconson. There is definaly a lack of enforcement of traffic safety standards in LOS. I have found Thai drivers to be polite & generally yield to other driver & MC, not so in USA.

I have never had any problem with the Thai police in 4 years here. I have been stopped a couple of times on my MC for wrong way & just got a verbal warning, in USA unlikely. I have also been stopped at various road check points & no problem.

Never been mugged here or had anything stolen. But, I don't frequent places where drunken Thai men (or Farangs) hang out. From what I can seen here, Thailand has nowhere near the drug usage or drug dealing problem that exists in USA. Such is generally not tolerated or seen as fashonable here.

I don't live in BKK, so that might make some difference regarding my experiences here. Big cities are usually full of hassles.

Fair points a2396.

I'm from the Seattle area originally. People in those parts are generally polite to a fault. Probably this extends to driving behaviors. And yep, I live in BKK. Driving is madness here, until you work out the common practices of drivers. After that it isn't so bad, but it does require an extremely heightened attention to the road and everything and everyone nearby. It's a pleasure driving in rural Thailand, even the provincial city capitols. I've found the behavior of police with regards to the traffic stops and extortion will vary from region to region. The worst areas are the roads from BKK to Hua Hin and from BKK to Pattaya. Must always pay close attention to speeds on those roads. Generally I've found that the police are the least likely to extort in the NE and Northern regions. BKK isn't so bad, but only because there are so many cars on the road. The chances of getting snared are statistically low, even though they are often out in force. And I definitely agree that big cities tend to be cesspools the world around. Big cities always have problems with drugs, crime, violence, pollution, and aggression.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

I disagree.

There are very few places in the US as polluted as BKK. Trash is everywhere here, and throughout the rural areas as well. Much less so in the US.

You are way off base on this. About half of US drivers practice defensive driving, the other half practice offensive driving. In Thailand only about 2% of the drivers drive defensively.

USA healthcare unaffordable for many & the waits long for certain types of care. Many places understaffed & also refusing to take Medicare the gov't healthcare for seniors.

Fair points. Agreed.

Arrogant dick-head nit-picking police with time to bust lap dancers & massage parlors, ambush motorists going 5 mph over the speed limit, etc, etc.

Again I must disagree. The police here are far more nitpicking. Heck, Thai police will even make you pay for doing nothing at all. Whenever I drive to Pattaya/Jomtien there is a very good chance of having to pay 500 bt for the privilege of driving on the road. Once I was hit for 1000 over 2 days for doing absolutely nothing wrong. It would never happen in the US. As far as lap dancers and massage parlors in the US, I wouldn't know.

Try muggings, car jackings, armed home invasions, street drug dealing, in most USA getto neighborhoods. I'll take Thailand any day.

I've been mugged here and hacked up with a machete here in Thailand. Never happened back home. Street drug dealing happens in every low-income neighborhood here. Home invasions are very common here. I haven't heard much about car-jackings, perhaps it hasn't caught on yet in Thailand. Car and motorcycle theft is extremely common in Thailand, sometimes by police gangs.

Me too! Lived here for 7 years and don't intend to leave. Just have to take the good with the bad. :o

50% USA driver practice defensive driving? I don't know where you get that stat, but if so the other half of them are agressive "in-your face" arrogant & ready to go off at any provocation. I have never been " flipped off by a Thia driver, but it was a common, everyday occurance in USA. Try driving in Phoenix, Miami or LA, not rural Montana or Wisconson. There is definaly a lack of enforcement of traffic safety standards in LOS. I have found Thai drivers to be polite & generally yield to other driver & MC, not so in USA.

I have never had any problem with the Thai police in 4 years here. I have been stopped a couple of times on my MC for wrong way & just got a verbal warning, in USA unlikely. I have also been stopped at various road check points & no problem.

Never been mugged here or had anything stolen. But, I don't frequent places where drunken Thai men (or Farangs) hang out. From what I can seen here, Thailand has nowhere near the drug usage or drug dealing problem that exists in USA. Such is generally not tolerated or seen as fashonable here.

I don't live in BKK, so that might make some difference regarding my experiences here. Big cities are usually full of hassles.

I agree petty thievery is far less likely as is random violence or muggings , however trolls do run rampant in certain areas.

Fair points a2396.

I'm from the Seattle area originally. People in those parts are generally polite to a fault. Probably this extends to driving behaviors. And yep, I live in BKK. Driving is madness here, until you work out the common practices of drivers. After that it isn't so bad, but it does require an extremely heightened attention to the road and everything and everyone nearby. It's a pleasure driving in rural Thailand, even the provincial city capitols. I've found the behavior of police with regards to the traffic stops and extortion will vary from region to region. The worst areas are the roads from BKK to Hua Hin and from BKK to Pattaya. Must always pay close attention to speeds on those roads. Generally I've found that the police are the least likely to extort in the NE and Northern regions. BKK isn't so bad, but only because there are so many cars on the road. The chances of getting snared are statistically low, even though they are often out in force. And I definitely agree that big cities tend to be cesspools the world around. Big cities always have problems with drugs, crime, violence, pollution, and aggression.

I've not had this extortion experience- I do notice that usually only drivers on motorcycles get pulled over while passing various roadblocks, ( a way to discriminate against the poor? )

I have a US license and an International translation that's good for motorcycles AND a Thai license so I"m pretty set.

How does this work though. How does the cop extort ? What if you've done nothing wrong and all your paper work is in order, and you just refuse to hand over any money?

Actually I didn't add corruption to the list. Even the most steadfast of the apologists admit that is rampant

Edited by HorseDoctor

Fair points a2396.

I've not had this extortion experience- I do notice that usually only drivers on motorcycles get pulled over while passing various roadblocks, ( a way to discriminate against the poor? )

I have a US license and an International translation that's good for motorcycles AND a Thai license so I"m pretty set.

How does this work though. How does the cop extort ? What if you've done nothing wrong and all your paper work is in order, and you just refuse to hand over any money?

Actually I didn't add corruption to the list. Even the most steadfast of the apologists admit that is rampant

We lived in Bangkok too when I was a child and I'll never forget my Mother , in our newly imported Mustang , just losing it, shrieking and getting out of othe car and throwing her shoe at a traffic cop . My dad hired a driver after that, , of course 3 days later he drove the car into a klong and was never heard from again. That poor Mustang was ruined .

But Yes, drivers in the west tend to use their vehicles as personality bearers and god forbid you cut them off.

So , generally consensus is: driving is worse but drivers are better..

There is no definite "Yes or No" answer to the question.

Is Thailand safer than "some" other places ? Definitely "Yes".

Is Thailand more dangerous than "some" other places ? Definitely "No".

Some people will live their whole lives here and never get mugged, assaulted, extorted or "felt up" by an airport security screener.

Other people will have all that happen (seemingly) between the time they step off the plane and when they get outside the terminal.

Some people, through their attitudes and own actions, seem to attract trouble. Others, through their attitudes and actions, seem to be able to avoid it. What holds true for pretty much the rest of the world holds true in Thailand as well. If you go looking for trouble, you'll find it. Whether it's in downtown Bern (Switzerland) or downtown Bangkok. Downtown Paris or Pattaya. Perth or Phuket.

People all over the world are victims of crime. Sometimes it happens to people that don't do anything to deserve it. It even happens to people that do take precautions.

Is it more likely to happen in Thailand ? Again, it's more likely than in some other places, and less likely than in others.

Your best defense is to use the gray matter between your ears. Too many people leave their common sense at home when they travel here. Many seem to think they should be able to do things here that they wouldn't/couldn't do at home. Many feel they shouldn't have to follow local rules/laws/customs and then whine when they run afoul of those same rules/laws/customs.

Nothing you do will ever make you completely safe, any where. You do what you can to reduce the risk, and hope for the best. No different here than any other place. I always have, and still do, feel much safer in Thailand than in many other places in the world that I've lived in or spent time in. I hope it stays that way.

There is no definite "Yes or No" answer to the question.

Is Thailand safer than "some" other places ? Definitely "Yes".

Is Thailand more dangerous than "some" other places ? Definitely "No".

Some people will live their whole lives here and never get mugged, assaulted, extorted or "felt up" by an airport security screener.

Other people will have all that happen (seemingly) between the time they step off the plane and when they get outside the terminal.

Some people, through their attitudes and own actions, seem to attract trouble. Others, through their attitudes and actions, seem to be able to avoid it. What holds true for pretty much the rest of the world holds true in Thailand as well. If you go looking for trouble, you'll find it. Whether it's in downtown Bern (Switzerland) or downtown Bangkok. Downtown Paris or Pattaya. Perth or Phuket.

People all over the world are victims of crime. Sometimes it happens to people that don't do anything to deserve it. It even happens to people that do take precautions.

Is it more likely to happen in Thailand ? Again, it's more likely than in some other places, and less likely than in others.

Your best defense is to use the gray matter between your ears. Too many people leave their common sense at home when they travel here. Many seem to think they should be able to do things here that they wouldn't/couldn't do at home. Many feel they shouldn't have to follow local rules/laws/customs and then whine when they run afoul of those same rules/laws/customs.

Nothing you do will ever make you completely safe, any where. You do what you can to reduce the risk, and hope for the best. No different here than any other place. I always have, and still do, feel much safer in Thailand than in many other places in the world that I've lived in or spent time in. I hope it stays that way.

I had an argument with an editor on this subject, he's British and I"m US . I said that tourists are not told the truth about safety in Thailand and he disagreed , said that in UK , the hazards are well known.

So we agreed T Land was hazardous, Brits faced death within Thailand at a rate substantially higher than any other destination.

I just think that tourists are a little more than mis informed. After living here, I won't fly Thai airlines ,I won't walk alone on a beach even with my hotel in sight, whereas I would , I did- as a tourist.

At least the Jelly fish are getting some publicity- but how many deaths have actually occured ?

Compared to most of the world, Thailand is a safe, desirable tourist destination.

Some posters are living in la-la land, though. Pollution is worse in the US? Nowhere in the US has the degree of water pollution as here in Thailand, and only rarely does air pollution reach the levels found regularly in BKK. (BKK is getting better air quality, though as more vehicles are switching from gas and diesel.)

Personal safety is also an issue here. Safer drivers here? With drivers regularly driving cars and motorcylces down the wrong way on one way roads or lanes? Packing people on scooters? Standing on the rear bumpers of pickups? Power lines hung haphazzardly all over the place? Now, to be fair, this is the case in much of the world. And even in "safe" destinations, tourist get killed. A couple years ago, a German tourist was murdered in Florida a month after another European tourist was murdered there.

For a tourist coming to BKK, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, or Phuket, personal safety should not be a major issue. Thailand is a safe, fun destination. Get falling down drunk in Pattaya, and yes, you may get robbed. But that is the same anywhere, isn't it?

I just think that tourists are a little more than mis informed. After living here, I won't fly Thai airlines ,I won't walk alone on a beach even with my hotel in sight, whereas I would , I did- as a tourist.

At least the Jelly fish are getting some publicity- but how many deaths have actually occured ?

In my opinion it is the resposibility of the individuals to inform themselves about potential dangers of any country that they visit. With the many guide books available and the internet there is no excuse not to be informed.

Regarding your other point, I have no idea how many jellyfish have died recently :o

Actually you're bang on. They flag you down. Smile. Lie to your face, saying you did something or other. Whether you did it or not, trying to argue the point is useless. If you are lucky, the cop might not speak English, or be new and intimidated by the white face and will let you pass on. If you are unlucky the cop will ask for anywhere from 200 to 1000 bt. You have the right to refuse to pay the street cop. He will then take your license to the nearest police station. You will go to the station, unescorted, wait around for a while, then have a chance to plead your case to the officer on duty. That officer will make the final decision whether to assess any fine. The fine could be more than the original amount, or it could be nothing at all. It really depends on the officer at the desk. Once you've sorted the situation with the desk officer your license will be returned to you. Most people prefer to avoid the hassle of all this and find it more convenient to hand over the cash to the street cop and be on their merry way.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Actually you're bang on. They flag you down. Smile. Lie to your face, saying you did something or other. Whether you did it or not, trying to argue the point is useless. If you are lucky, the cop might not speak English, or be new and intimidated by the white face and will let you pass on. If you are unlucky the cop will ask for anywhere from 200 to 1000 bt. You have the right to refuse to pay the street cop. He will then take your license to the nearest police station. You will go to the station, unescorted, wait around for a while, then have a chance to plead your case to the officer on duty. That officer will make the final decision whether to assess any fine. The fine could be more than the original amount, or it could be nothing at all. It really depends on the officer at the desk. Once you've sorted the situation with the desk officer your license will be returned to you. Most people prefer to avoid the hassle of all this and find it more convenient to hand over the cash to the street cop and be on their merry way.

Thanks, that was informative.

I'd have to go for the hassle.

Having spent time in a number of Asian countries such as Japan, Korea, China, Taiwon and now Thailand I would say these countries are far safer then places back at home especially late at night. But with every place their are risks and dangers. Thailand in my opinion is safe if you use common sense.

The delusion that we feel perfectly safe in Thailand is built on the a hope that we will be safe. It is really a denial of sorts. We are actually hoping that we will not become victim of a serious crime. Those of us who have spent some time here, especially in the big cities, know people or have witnessed serious crime. The truth is that there are around 65 million people here, mostly poor, and crime is inevitable.

With the world in an economic crisis and Thailand embroiled in political conflict and a minor civil war moving forward in the deep south crime will only get worse here. My first question to anyone who says that they feel safe here is, where are you going to find one of those 275,000 police officers when you need one? What is the police response time to an emergency call to your home or office? Where is the closest ambulance or manned fire station? You see where this is going? Often we come from countries where emergency service is taken for granted. You go live in a foreign country or visit as a tourist it never becomes a matter of speculation. What could happen?

No one can argue that serious crime is under reported here in Thailand. People are jumping or bring pushed from buildings in the big cities at an alarming rate is one example. It is an embarrassment to the Kingdom and may affect tourism is the reason the government gives for asking the press to eliminate or tone down the reports. Bombs and grenades are going off in Bangkok every couple of days now. Sounds like things are getting hotter here.

Let's be careful out there.

The delusion that we feel perfectly safe in Thailand is built on the a hope that we will be safe. It is really a denial of sorts. We are actually hoping that we will not become victim of a serious crime. Those of us who have spent some time here, especially in the big cities, know people or have witnessed serious crime.
The truth is that there are around 65 million people here, mostly poor, and crime is inevitable.

You talking about Thailand in the above or the UK?

With the world in an economic crisis and Thailand embroiled in political conflict and a minor civil war moving forward in the deep south crime will only get worse here. My first question to anyone who says that they feel safe here is, where are you going to find one of those 275,000 police officers when you need one? What is the police response time to an emergency call to your home or office? Where is the closest ambulance or manned fire station? You see where this is going? Often we come from countries where emergency service is taken for granted. You go live in a foreign country or visit as a tourist it never becomes a matter of speculation. What could happen?

No one can argue that serious crime is under reported here in Thailand. People are jumping or bring pushed from buildings in the big cities at an alarming rate is one example. It is an embarrassment to the Kingdom and may affect tourism is the reason the government gives for asking the press to eliminate or tone down the reports.

Bombs and grenades are going off in Bangkok every couple of days now. Sounds like things are getting hotter here.

Yes, and in India, Pakistan, oh was that Anthrax in London the other day?

Let's be careful out there.

It hasn't been that bad for me.  I have received two tickets, both deserved, where I simply paid.  I had two tickets which were simple extortion rackets, and I got out of those with a simple phone call to a friend.  But I also got two tickets in where I was wrong where I never paid anything. One was for speeding between KK and Korat, but when the cop saw I was a farang, and I only spoke English with him, he just let me off to go on my merry way. On another one, I turned right in a right turn lane and got stopped. I took the cop back to show him the turn lane sign, and he laughed and said it was only for buses.  Seeing it was an honest mistake on my part, he just let me go without a ticket.

about under-reporting of crime in Thailand, does it compare with the UK>>>

In 2007, it was reported that the BCS was underreporting crime by about 3 million incidents per year because it did not allow for a particular person to be victimized more than five times in a year. The error means that violent crime is actually at 4.4 million incidents per year, an 82% increase over the 2.4 million previously thought.

Just a list of hazards foreigners are at risk from where I believe it to be worst;

Fatalistic drivers, threat of electrocution, sidewalks cracked or blocked , airlines unregulated, trucks and cars unroadworthy.

Hospital staff ill trained and /or unsanitary. Polluted rivers and oceans.

Don't forget all the other hazards that are rampant in Thailand. The risk of choking on a chicken bone, for example, or tripping on an escalator. Sunstroke is a killer too. I personally feel that I take my life into my hands every single time I walk through the automatic doors of a 7-11 store - imagine if it closed early and sliced me in two. And don't get me started on the number of fatalities caused by trapping your hand in the letter box as you post your mail.

Door slicing someone in two, didnt that happen in one of the old Timothy Dalton Bond movies? LOL

Nothing wrong with Thai State hospitals - I owe my life to a Thai Military hospital, which of course is "State" - all the Government hospitals are excellent, well managed and staffed by nurses and doctors who are trained to internationaly accepted WHO standards. The average Thai doctor and nurse earns a pittance - they are dedicated and committed individuals.

I'd like to see a Uk NHS hospital, or a USA State hospital achieve what the Thai health authorities achieve on the provincial budgets given to Thai State hospitals - given the number of people they treat.

If you live in Thailand and don;t have insurance, go to a State hospital - you may not get a flash room, multi-language TV and hotel style menu, but you get private rooms and you'll get just as good medical attention (Chula in Bangkok has everything and anything in terms of equipment that any private Thai hospital has).

I can't think of any treatment you get at a private hospital in Thailand that is not availble from a State hospital - and a lot lot cheaper than it costs at Bunrungrad or Bangkok Nursing Home. As for the specialist doctors - most are tied into contracts with State hospitals as well - they work at both.

Nothing wrong with Thai State hospitals.

With the "Ambassador Program" where foreign tourism industry leaders and various public servants were shown around Thailand on the public dole to show them protests are in no way dangerous to tourists, The question arises ; Is Thailand as safe as it's advertised? Is it worse than any other country ?

Just a list of hazards foreigners are at risk from where I believe it to be worst;

Fatalistic drivers, threat of electrocution, sidewalks cracked or blocked , airlines unregulated, trucks and cars unroadworthy.

And better than in many other countries (toward foreigners;)

Random violent crime, muggings rape ( at least toward foreign women though this could be due to low population. I suspect Thai women are raped more frequently than stats may report ) Police abuse. Protest and demonstrations casualties .

I'd also like to discuss hospital experiences, good or bad particularly medical tourism in Thailand. Is it regulated sufficiently?

:o

Thailand is probably safer than many western countries. It is probably less likely you will be attacked in Bangkok at 2 a.m. than in cities in the U.S. (try being a white woman walking in certain areas of New York at 2 a.m.). How many people each year are killed in East L.A. by random drive by killings by gang members? When was the last time a Farang was gunned down in BKK by a random drive by shooting?

Yes, you can be robbed anywhere. Thailand included. If you take certain precautions BKK is safer than New York or Los Angeles.

:D

I disagree.

Fair points. Agreed.

Wow I want a pair of those rose colored glasses, after almost 8 years of driving here I can count the number of times I've seen " polite & generally yield to other driver" in one hand. Their aggressive driving causes most of the traffic jams because it would kill them to let somebody in front of them. Thais don't get upset at being cut off etc because they are used to it and haven't known any other style of driving. I used to get road rage the first few years driving here but hey "if you can't beat them join them" now I just don't care.

With the "Ambassador Program" where foreign tourism industry leaders and various public servants were shown around Thailand on the public dole to show them protests are in no way dangerous to tourists, The question arises ; Is Thailand as safe as it's advertised? Is it worse than any other country ?

And better than in many other countries (toward foreigners;)

Random violent crime, muggings rape ( at least toward foreign women though this could be due to low population. I suspect Thai women are raped more frequently than stats may report ) Police abuse. Protest and demonstrations casualties .

I'd also like to discuss hospital experiences, good or bad particularly medical tourism in Thailand. Is it regulated sufficiently?

:o

Thailand is probably safer than many western countries. It is probably less likely you will be attacked in Bangkok at 2 a.m. than in cities in the U.S. (try being a white woman walking in certain areas of New York at 2 a.m.). How many people each year are killed in East L.A. by random drive by killings by gang members? When was the last time a Farang was gunned down in BKK by a random drive by shooting?

Yes, you can be robbed anywhere. Thailand included. If you take certain precautions BKK is safer than New York or Los Angeles.

:D

Not Bangkok but a Falang baby took a bullet in Chang Mai if I recall from another thread.