Tips For Organising Trip To See Premiership Game

rixalex

Looking for any tips, either in general or specific.

I'll be going to Old Trafford, and having never been there before, or indeed ever been to a game, just wondering if there's anything you can tell me to make the experience more enjoyable. Not only regarding the game itself, but the getting there and the leaving. And where to stay? Anybody know of reasonably cheap accomodation in the area?

Also, what's the best way of picking up tickets. It's for the 29th December. It's not a big game (no offense Middlesbo supporters out there :D ) so is it necessary to book now - if so, with who? - if not, do i just buy when i get there?

Thanks for any tips :o

(apart from the ones like "my tip is don't bother going" from the anti-United brigade! :D )

you'll probably be able to pick up a ticket from a tout outside that fetid hellhole but you might pay over face value in doing so. so would recommend getting your tickets before you go, either by contacting the club directly (assuming the tickets are on sale yet) or getting in touch with one of the many club-affiliated supporters' groups in this part of the world, they can often sort out match tickets for overseas visitors.

accomodation: you will find lots of cheap and basic accomodation (i.e. no windows or doors) in the moss side area of manchester. this is a valuable exposure to the 'real' manchester.

behaviour in the ground: do your best to film the entire match on your mobile phone, this always goes down well with local fans. also be sure to give a rousing rendition of 'blue moon' at any given opportunity.

safety / security: if you own a firearm, take it with you. manchester is a violent and desperate place not unlike the wild west and as such most locals carry guns.

sights: no trip to manchester is complete without a night out down the rusholme curry mile and if you have time, the awesome retail theme park that is the trafford centre.

you'll probably be able to pick up a ticket from a tout outside that fetid hellhole but you might pay over face value in doing so. so would recommend getting your tickets before you go, either by contacting the club directly (assuming the tickets are on sale yet) or getting in touch with one of the many club-affiliated supporters' groups in this part of the world, they can often sort out match tickets for overseas visitors.

accomodation: you will find lots of cheap and basic accomodation (i.e. no windows or doors) in the moss side area of manchester. this is a valuable exposure to the 'real' manchester.

behaviour in the ground: do your best to film the entire match on your mobile phone, this always goes down well with local fans. also be sure to give a rousing rendition of 'blue moon' at any given opportunity.

safety / security: if you own a firearm, take it with you. manchester is a violent and desperate place not unlike the wild west and as such most locals carry guns.

sights: no trip to manchester is complete without a night out down the rusholme curry mile and if you have time, the awesome retail theme park that is the trafford centre.

LOL

I reckon there might be work for you down at the Manchester Tourist Bureau (if such a place exists?!)

You know how to sell a place that's for sure. :D

Anyway, I'll try and bear all those points in mind... :o

You need to be a member if you want to buy a ticket officially....!

Touts will sell tickets and, for the Boro game do not pay more than £40 for a £30 ticket, £35 or face value is what i would expect to pay.

A quick search will give a great range of cheap to medium and expensive places to stay all in the centre, look for reviews, I find these to be reliable. E-Bookers

but, try others, Last Minute.com is worth a look too.

Manchester's Tram system is fantastic and you can catch one very close to the ground from Piccadilly Square. It'll take less than 10 mins.

The Curry Mile is great, same as any other area in any other city, watch out, there might be scousers about....! :o

redrus

Ps; there maybe other members about that weekend so, keep in touch. Our resident Blue nose MrBojangles is a resident of the area too....!

Cheers Redrus :o

Some valuable tips for me there.

Excuse my ignorance, but when i get there, how do i find the touts? Do they just loiter with intent near the gates?

And do you have any recommendations for the ticket itself, in terms of which area/stand to choose?

Thanks again.

Cheers Redrus :o

Some valuable tips for me there.

Excuse my ignorance, but when i get there, how do i find the touts? Do they just loiter with intent near the gates?

And do you have any recommendations for the ticket itself, in terms of which area/stand to choose?

Thanks again.

Do not ask for tickets anywhere near the ground, as in near the police cordons that are in place before you get near the stadium to take alcohol off you, touting is still illegal.

Outside Lou Macaris (on the way and on a corner on the left from the cricket ground to OT) chippy is the oldest haunt but unless you know some one you will pay more there. You're best off looking around the tram stop when you get off, (which will be at Old Trafford Cricket ground) and, on the walk to the ground, you should find one or two lower level touts or some random with a spare. These are always easier to knock down (in price) too as the proper touts are <deleted> and don't really care, once they've made a set amount they'd rather leave with the ticket than sell it cheap.

You might get lucky, I've arrived late and got one far cheaper than face but it's your special day so you don't wanna wait till after kick off.

Behind either goal is best and cheapest. West Stand is the Stretford End, I like West Stand Lower, upper tier. High enough to see over the players and get some perspective, close enough to the players yet not nose bleed high. Ask when you buy a ticket (or Brief as commonly known) where he's got them....! Don't do North Stand 3rd tier, it's awful and about 650 steps to get up there. The Main Stand or South Stand is generally most expensive. You may have to take what you can get though.

Our resident Blue nose MrBojangles is a resident of the area too....!

Currently still in Saudi Rednose :D

In December :D , lucky Blue nose....!

redrus

I'll be going to Old Trafford, and having never been there before, or indeed ever been to a game, just wondering if there's anything you can tell me to make the experience more enjoyable. Not only regarding the game itself, but the getting there and the leaving. And where to stay? Anybody know of reasonably cheap accomodation in the area?

Also, what's the best way of picking up tickets. It's for the 29th December. It's not a big game (no offense Middlesbo supporters out there :D ) so is it necessary to book now - if so, with who? - if not, do i just buy when i get there?

Thanks for any tips :D

(apart from the ones like "my tip is don't bother going" from the anti-United brigade! :D )

You won't be alone going to Old Trafford for the 1st time! :o

Thanks for any tips :D

You won't be alone going to Old Trafford for the 1st time! :o

...and since the arrival of Roman, every Chelsea fan is a lifelong season ticket holder....? Stones and glass houses come to mind ol mate....!

redrus

I'd definitely use the tram as a means of getting to the game.I'm from South Cheshire so would normally drive to Altrincham and get the tram to Old Trafford (Cricket Ground) from there.....about 15 minutes.

Altrincham is about 8 miles from the City Cente and has reasonably cheap accomodation.A couple of Premier Lodges ?,I think they are called.Also the Cresta Court Hotel.

But the City Centre has similar hotel chains.Probably best to stay there if you want a good night out after the game.If you stay in the centre get the tram from Piccadilly Square to Old Trafford,about 10 minutes.

Note if you catch a tram from Piccadilly Square make sure its not one to Bury as you will be going the wrong way ! :o

Rivalex

The games just after Xmas are pretty much the hardest games to get tickets for as everyone needs an excuse to get away from the family.

Ive never not got into a game when going without a ticket apart from England away in the WC, but you'll have all sorts of scumbag touts putting the prices up for this game, and you generally have to leave until 3.05 before they are reasonable prices.

This is the actual prices - http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=...8-010E3CA3A129}

And this link says theyre on sale from Friday 11th Nov, give them a call and find out exactly what time you should get one -

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=...0-1D8462EE4ADD}

OR Google - manchester united tickets

Websites such as this have them but they seem 2-3 times the price.

http://www.1st4footballtickets.com/tickets...sp?EventId=4258

Do not ask for tickets anywhere near the ground, as in near the police cordons that are in place before you get near the stadium to take alcohol off you, touting is still illegal.

Outside Lou Macaris (on the way and on a corner on the left from the cricket ground to OT) chippy is the oldest haunt but unless you know some one you will pay more there. You're best off looking around the tram stop when you get off, (which will be at Old Trafford Cricket ground) and, on the walk to the ground, you should find one or two lower level touts or some random with a spare. These are always easier to knock down (in price) too as the proper touts are <deleted> and don't really care, once they've made a set amount they'd rather leave with the ticket than sell it cheap.

good advice this. and rixalex, you will probably identify the touts by their cries of 'buy or sell, buy or sell'. they don't have kiosks or official booths or anything. :o

http://www.thomascooksport.com/premiership_spl.php

Well Thomas Cook above do pre-arranged travel packages including Hotel and Tickets. You are seated in 'neutral' areas of the ground and are asked not to wear colours - otherwise it's a normal day out.

The Man U v M'boro is sold out however you can keep checking for updates. Alternative I've just had a look on the Stoke page and see that the Stoke City v Man Utd clash on Boxing Day still has seats available. Tickets to this match won't be available for love or money once they have been put on sale. If you want to experience a truly full-on match day experience this would be the pick and at £112 all in it's not bad value for money.

Sure The Britannia ain't Old shitford as there will be one hel_l of an atmosphere and you'll actually be able see the game and not be somewhere up in the sky! Our prawn eating sandwich brigade actually sing also! :o

This game is gonna be cracker! Live on Sky, Truesport 1 and probably everywhere else in the world.

:D

I'd definitely use the tram as a means of getting to the game.I'm from South Cheshire so would normally drive to Altrincham and get the tram to Old Trafford (Cricket Ground) from there.....about 15 minutes.

Altrincham is about 8 miles from the City Cente and has reasonably cheap accomodation.A couple of Premier Lodges ?,I think they are called.Also the Cresta Court Hotel.

But the City Centre has similar hotel chains.Probably best to stay there if you want a good night out after the game.If you stay in the centre get the tram from Piccadilly Square to Old Trafford,about 10 minutes.

Note if you catch a tram from Piccadilly Square make sure its not one to Bury as you will be going the wrong way ! :D

Great tips Macclad. Thanks. Altrincham sounds like a good place to stay. Will look into it. :o

Rivalex

The games just after Xmas are pretty much the hardest games to get tickets for as everyone needs an excuse to get away from the family.

Ive never not got into a game when going without a ticket apart from England away in the WC, but you'll have all sorts of scumbag touts putting the prices up for this game, and you generally have to leave until 3.05 before they are reasonable prices.

Thanks Spiderman.

I must admit that the whole business of having to get involved in shady street-side deals with local small-time criminals is a bit of a worry for me. I'll probably be driving up from London the same day, and will have to sort out accomodation too. It's a headache i could do without, but not sure what the other options are. Ticket websites seem either very expensive or fully booked.

Will the fact that it's a night game change anything, in terms of the best way of arranging things?

Thanks Spiderman.

I must admit that the whole business of having to get involved in shady street-side deals with local small-time criminals is a bit of a worry for me. I'll probably be driving up from London the same day, and will have to sort out accomodation too. It's a headache i could do without, but not sure what the other options are. Ticket websites seem either very expensive or fully booked.

Will the fact that it's a night game change anything, in terms of the best way of arranging things?

are you a member of any of the united fan websites? they often have ticket forums on them where spares are advertised by fans looking to offload them. think there is redcafe.net and redissue is still going AFAIK.

are you a member of any of the united fan websites? they often have ticket forums on them where spares are advertised by fans looking to offload them. think there is redcafe.net and redissue is still going AFAIK.

Thanks for suggestion Stevie. No i'm not, but will look into it. Not sure how much is involved in becoming a member...

Thanks for suggestion Stevie. No i'm not, but will look into it. Not sure how much is involved in becoming a member...

should be free man, they're just fan sites with chat forums.

Yes it will, night games are usually less well attended by people that have to travel as, they have the journey home and arrive at home in the early hours of the morning.

I really don't forsee a problem but, if you are worried, become a member. You may not recieve your membership pack inn time but you will have your membership number which, will allow you to use the site Viagogo.

redrus

redrus

Yes it will, night games are usually less well attended by people that have to travel as, they have the journey home and arrive at home in the early hours of the morning.

Ha, ha. You finally admit it. Is it all them Suffern Poofters who have to travel home :o

haha. should've mentioned that to rixalex, that for the true united home game experience he should stay in london and commute up by car on the day of the match to see all those scarves flying on the m1 northbound.

I really don't forsee a problem but, if you are worried, become a member. You may not recieve your membership pack inn time but you will have your membership number which, will allow you to use the site Viagogo.

redrus

Thanks again Redrus.

From what you are saying then, it sounds like Spiderman has just been unlucky, and unless i am too, i should have no problem just turning up and buying off a tout.

Technocracy - your idea about going to see the game at Stoke is one i had considered, and i'm sure the atmosphere will be great, but part of the experience for me will be taking in "Old Shitford" as you nicely put it!

:o

I set myself up for that didn't I.

I made no mention of southerners though.... :D

I no longer live in Manchester and would not get home till midnight.

redrus

*rixalex; I have never had a problem finding a ticket for 1, it's when you start needing 2 that the problems begin as in when I take the Mrs, you can never find 2 together. I don't want to tempt fate so I won't.... :D

Edited by redrus

*rixalex; I have never had a problem finding a ticket for 1, it's when you start needing 2 that the problems begin as in when I take the Mrs, you can never find 2 together. I don't want to tempt fate so I won't.... :D

It will be two of us so i might have a problem then. :D

Becoming a member might be the safest way to go but it could be a race against time. As a member, can you buy two tickets, or will both of us have to sign up and pay for membership?

It will be two of us so i might have a problem then. :D

Becoming a member might be the safest way to go but it could be a race against time. As a member, can you buy two tickets, or will both of us have to sign up and pay for membership?

I reckon that is the best way to go mate I really do, then use the Viagogo site to buy 2 together from an existing member/ST holder as, you will go into a ballot if you try to buy one from United themselves, therefore running the risk of not getting one at all, again...!

redrus

From what you are saying then, it sounds like Spiderman has just been unlucky, and unless i am too, i should have no problem just turning up and buying off a tout.

Technocracy - your idea about going to see the game at Stoke is one i had considered, and i'm sure the atmosphere will be great, but part of the experience for me will be taking in "Old Shitford" as you nicely put it!

Sorry couldn't help it! I at least managed not to call them Manure . . :o

To be quite honest with you Old Trafford is probably one of the least atmospheric grounds in the country! Particularly with a game such as M'boro.

Do yourself a favour taking the Stoke v Man U game and if seeing OT means that much go and do the tour of the ground they do everyday. :D

To be quite honest with you Old Trafford is probably one of the least atmospheric grounds in the country! Particularly with a game such as M'boro.

Do yourself a favour taking the Stoke v Man U game and if seeing OT means that much go and do the tour of the ground they do everyday. :D

I probably would do as you say mate, just that over 100 quid seems a bit steep to get into grounds like that. No offence, but it's not exactly Wembley is it? :o

Here are the answers to your questions -

http://manutd.viagogo.com/FAQ.aspx?viagogoUrl=%2f

Id give them a call to get your membership number and explain your not in England and see if you can get it sent online or any other way.

Type in Manchester United on this website to get the landline number -

http://saynoto0870.com/companysearch.php

Such a rip off that youve got to become a member to buy a ticket but it seems 1 member can buy 2 tickets.

I went to Newcastle v Villa on Monday and bought on the night, see there are advantages to your team being crap, and it was a good atmosphere.

Im now about to clear my web browser history to get them filthy manure websites from infecting my computer.

I probably would do as you say mate, just that over 100 quid seems a bit steep to get into grounds like that. No offence, but it's not exactly Wembley is it? :o

Its better going to away games and Stoke is meant to have a good atmosphere, you dont get as many whinging fcukers attending away games and the atmosphere is always better, but i wouldnt think it would be possible to get tickets for an away game when Manure only get a few thousand tickets.

Besieds im sure the mrs will be wanting a few pics of her at Old Trafford to impress her friends.

If you cant get a ticket in the Manure end call the Smoggy's ticket telephone hotline if theyve got one, those interbreads never sell all their tickets, just youll not have to jump up when manure score.