Room With A View

NordicMan

Took this from inside the coffeeshop at Siem Reap Airport

Two exposures, as the dynamic range was a bit too much for my Nikon D80

(The coffeeshop is actually very nice!)

In hindsight, I would have liked to move the chairs slightly to the right to improve the symmetry.

post-22744-1226091904_thumb.jpg

cheers

nm

Edited by NordicMan

me too, cant open. Would like to see it. I know the view you are talking about, and you seem to have captured it in a very interesting way. From the thumbnail it looks like a renaissance perspective painting.

THIS TIME IT WORKS!!

Sorry about this fellas, I have uploaded 3 other images in other threads and I just checked them and they work fine. Can't see why this one is so stubborn.

I renamed the file to something short and tried one more time...

I would really like some feedback on this photo, as I have virtually no experience in "architectural" (?) shots

post-22744-1226174625_thumb.jpg

Edited by NordicMan

From a perspective point of view, if you had had time to line up the chairs and the shot then it would be more dynamic. If you had been able to shift yourself more to the right I think your photo would have had more impact as a linear perspective image.

I hope you dont mind, but ive used your photo to demonstrate what i mean, just as a simple example. Ive selected two horizon points, which shows where you could have lined it up a little more. Im no photography expert, but I do have a Fine Art Degree and used to teach life drawing, so wished to make a comment as I really do love the image you created. Tnx. :o

post-33493-1226196490_thumb.jpg

Different!

I'm not so sure the "dark" surrounding/frame actually benefits the shot, although I can see were you're going. Without the frame it's a "snap" - with the frame it's an image.

Having said that, the foreground is dominant. It draws you into the shot but drags you back to peer into the shadows!

It's intriguing as it's almost a shot of a cinema.

Then there's the conflict of new with old - maybe this is a problem?

Having said all that I keep going back to it and liking it more.

Actually, if the outside view was a little less mundane I'd love this.

Great idea, great perspective control - well done.

Edited by The Vulcan

I like the outside view. For me it is almost like something is yet to happen. Thats what makes it intriguing to me. The seats waiting for the viewer to sit down to watch the whatever event will occur outside. I also like the contrast between the modern and old. Like a ying and yang. The stark modernity of the inside contrasting against so much nature.

I agree it has a cinema feel. That also helps reinforce in my mind the feeling that something is yet to happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the feedback and comments

As I can't really fly back there just to line up the chairs, I have photoshopped the chairs and windowframe into perfect symmetry to see what it would look like. I reduced the saturation of the scenery a bit too.

post-22744-1227526301_thumb.jpg

cheers

nm

• 1 month later...
Thanks for all the feedback and comments

As I can't really fly back there just to line up the chairs, I have photoshopped the chairs and windowframe into perfect symmetry to see what it would look like. I reduced the saturation of the scenery a bit too.

post-22744-1227526301_thumb.jpg

cheers

nm

i like it much better, however since you had the "frame" on three sides, i think it would have had better effect had there been a dark area above the window to complete the frame illusion much like it appears in the thumbnail.

Edited by t.s