Road Tax And Insurance

prefabs

My car is one year old at the end of the month. I have had an unbelieveable amount of calls from insurance companies wanting my renewal business, but will stay with Toyota as they have been very good.

However, I cannot seem to find out any information on Road Tax, as in UK. Is there such a thing here?

I suspect your insurance is not with Toyota but rather with the insurer that your garage has a contract with. Mine with the Isuzu was with someone, but neither Isuzu nor Siam Leasing who did the financing. You can move insurer but I'd check your policy a little more carefully with drivers, excess, amount insured (usually only 80% !!!!) etc.

As for tax, then that square thing on your windscreen is your tax, like the road fund license in the UK. The amount you have to pay varies but it is unusual in my experience for the tax to run out at the same time as the insurance.

You need the relevant paperwork to get a new tax thing but you can get it as post offices in advance I understand these days.

Whoever you choose as your 1st class ins. agent will take care of your road tax and mandatory gov't ins. Costs about 100bht . Better than standing in a line at DMV.

Maybe but you can use the post office and if, as in our case, the tax ran out before the insurance on a new vehicle, then you don't have an insurance agent because your insurance may have some time before it expires.

A good option if available though.

Presently you have the government required compulsory insurance for cars and motorbikes. Before the "DMV" Department of Land Transport will renew your Book with a annual road tax stamp and decal you must show them proof of the compulsory insurance being paid. If you have a first class insurance policy beyond this compulsory insurance this is another policy that requires renewing.

I own my car and have two separate insurances.

1. The required government insurance written by the same company that carries my 1st Class policy. Cost of this required insurance? About 750 baht. This policy's dates are written to coincide with the annual road tax renewal date.

2. The 1st class policy that includes all of the necessary coverage you would expect in an insurance policy. Cost about 23k baht first year. This policy is written separate from the "mandatory" insurance and will have dates showing the coverage period typically one year. This policy has nothing to do with getting the annual road tax decal and is strictly up to you to keep renewing.

My annual road tax is due now on the 1st of December. I will be making a trip to my insurance company office to get another 1 year "mandatory" insurance at a cost of 700 baht or so. With this insurance paid for the year it is now my choice to go to the DMV personally and pay for the annual road tax, in my case about 6,500 baht, and after showing the receipt for paying the mandatory insurance the DMV will stamp my blue book and give me the new window decal for the next year. I could pay someone to go there for me. One day service about 100 baht.

As my first class policy expires this week I will do all of this in one trip to my insurance agent office.

Hope this helps.

If you are leasing, financing through a bank or whatever then the Bluebook is held by the owner of that paper. Somehow you will get an invoice to pay the insurance(mandatory) and the road tax and then receive the decal and receipts. I have not had this way of renewing as I paid the car in full from day one so someone else here can enlighten us on how this happens

Presently you have the government required compulsory insurance for cars and motorbikes. Before the "DMV" Department of Land Transport will renew your Book with a annual road tax stamp and decal you must show them proof of the compulsory insurance being paid. If you have a first class insurance policy beyond this compulsory insurance this is another policy that requires renewing.

I own my car and have two separate insurances.

1. The required government insurance written by the same company that carries my 1st Class policy. Cost of this required insurance? About 750 baht. This policy's dates are written to coincide with the annual road tax renewal date.

2. The 1st class policy that includes all of the necessary coverage you would expect in an insurance policy. Cost about 23k baht first year. This policy is written separate from the "mandatory" insurance and will have dates showing the coverage period typically one year. This policy has nothing to do with getting the annual road tax decal and is strictly up to you to keep renewing.

My annual road tax is due now on the 1st of December. I will be making a trip to my insurance company office to get another 1 year "mandatory" insurance at a cost of 700 baht or so. With this insurance paid for the year it is now my choice to go to the DMV personally and pay for the annual road tax, in my case about 6,500 baht, and after showing the receipt for paying the mandatory insurance the DMV will stamp my blue book and give me the new window decal for the next year. I could pay someone to go there for me. One day service about 100 baht.

As my first class policy expires this week I will do all of this in one trip to my insurance agent office.

Hope this helps.

If you are leasing, financing through a bank or whatever then the Bluebook is held by the owner of that paper. Somehow you will get an invoice to pay the insurance(mandatory) and the road tax and then receive the decal and receipts. I have not had this way of renewing as I paid the car in full from day one so someone else here can enlighten us on how this happens

Good answer - just for information, the cost of the CTPL is 646 Baht.

- and don't forget to try your own Thai Visa Insurance for quotes !

http://insurance.thaivisa.com/quote-form