Lpg Fuel Costs

HDRIDER

Hey guys,

I got a Honda CBR 150R and driving around for a while now, but I'm confused bout the types of LPG's around. My friend always tells me I should use Benzin 91 as it is the best for the engine, Benzin 95 is more expensive and apparently not as good either. Gasohol 91 is the cheapest, but is that good for hondas though... Btw dam_n prices go down, wonder for how long

Anyone..?

Thanks & cheers

Plus its because at the moment the domestic production is not enough and imported LPG is about 3 times more than current price. and also they want to get some money back into the fuel fund because they believe that oil will rise again in the new year.

i certainly would not take out an LPG system if already fitted because you still make saving against Benzine 91 and lets face it A LOT of the older cars (up to 2000) that have been converted CANNOT run properly on gasahol. And you could always buy a LPG cylinder pump, buy lots of big LPG cooking gas bottles and fill ya car that way :o

Allan

These numbers are from The Nation:

"Thailand requires 379,000 tonnes of lpg a month, against domestic production capacity of 350,000 tonnes."

Consupmtion is split roughly three ways - cooking, cars, and industries.

Thailand can cover consumers - cars and cooking - with domestically produced LPG.

Imported LPG should also be dropping in price in line with oil and cost about half of petrol.

Raising prices now seems like an absurd idea.

Plus its because at the moment the domestic production is not enough and imported LPG is about 3 times more than current price. and also they want to get some money back into the fuel fund because they believe that oil will rise again in the new year.

i certainly would not take out an LPG system if already fitted because you still make saving against Benzine 91 and lets face it A LOT of the older cars (up to 2000) that have been converted CANNOT run properly on gasahol. And you could always buy a LPG cylinder pump, buy lots of big LPG cooking gas bottles and fill ya car that way :o

Allan

Allan

Alan, Where can i buy a LPG cylinder pump here in Thailand?

• 1 month later...
That article is very confused with numbers, like monthly imports.

Domestic LPG price is given at 11 baht - why increase it to 18? Cars and cooking can be supplied entirely with domestically produced LPG.

Because it's heavily subsidised.

The Thai government fixed the price at around 300 Baht a tonne in order to let people have cheap gas for cooking but becasue of the low price people started converting cars to run off it. Then demand outstripped local supply and the government had to import it at 900 Baht a tonne to fuel cars, which was not their intention.

NGV is subsidised also.

Now that oil has dropped...

How much % savings, if any, does LPG have?

:o

What we need to know is how many kilometres on a full tank, the size of the tank and the cost of filling it.

On a previous thread one poster was getting 350 kms on a tank costing 500 Baht to fill with LPG. I was getting 700 kms on a tank costing 1,100 Baht to fill with Gasohol 91. Not much of a saving in my opinion, certainly not worth the conversion costs.

Now it costs me 600 Baht to fill up with Gasohol 91.

That article is very confused with numbers, like monthly imports.

Domestic LPG price is given at 11 baht - why increase it to 18? Cars and cooking can be supplied entirely with domestically produced LPG.

Because it's heavily subsidised.

The Thai government fixed the price at around 300 Baht a tonne in order to let people have cheap gas for cooking but becasue of the low price people started converting cars to run off it. Then demand outstripped local supply and the government had to import it at 900 Baht a tonne to fuel cars, which was not their intention.

NGV is subsidised also.

Today's cost of imported LPG is down to approx. 350 Baht/tonne, so if they would let go of the subsidy, price wouldn't go up a lot...

What we need to know is how many kilometres on a full tank, the size of the tank and the cost of filling it.

On a previous thread one poster was getting 350 kms on a tank costing 500 Baht to fill with LPG. I was getting 700 kms on a tank costing 1,100 Baht to fill with Gasohol 91. Not much of a saving in my opinion, certainly not worth the conversion costs.

Now it costs me 600 Baht to fill up with Gasohol 91.

I was the one getting 350 km out of 500 Baht of LPG, but I drive a 26 year old solid steel fuel guzzling Volvo 245.

As a comparison, I would pay a tad over 500 Baht of gasohol to drive the same 350 km at today's petrol price. Actually not, since it doesn't run on gasohol, I'd need the more expensive regular petrol...

If you need to calculate the exact savings, you divide the cost to fill up a tank of petrol by the current liter price, then multiply by 11, and add 10% on that.

The 10% is the rise in consumption when running on LPG.

So lets say you fill up 1000 Baht at the current 17 Baht/liter, on LPG it would cost 711 Baht. Some 30% saving.

Which admittedly is not such a huge saving, compared to when petrol was retailing at 40 Baht/liter!

But if the cost of LPG is going to be raised from 11 Baht to 17 Baht then anyone considering converting now would have to calculate the saving at the new rate.

And that saving is approximately 0% as the 2 fuels will be virtualy identical in price and there might even be a saving on using Gasohol 91 compared to LPG.

Last week they wanted to increase the price by 2.30 baht. 17-18 baht raise was proposed when oil was 40 baht per liter.

With all the subsidies on all types of fuel the current price at the pump it's impossible to predict what will happen in the future.

What matters now is that they postponed ALL talks about LPG/NGV price rise indefinitely.

Ultimately, LPG costs less than half of petrol, eventually it should settle on that level. When? I don't know.

Last week they wanted to increase the price by 2.30 baht. 17-18 baht raise was proposed when oil was 40 baht per liter.

With all the subsidies on all types of fuel the current price at the pump it's impossible to predict what will happen in the future.

What matters now is that they postponed ALL talks about LPG/NGV price rise indefinitely.

Ultimately, LPG costs less than half of petrol, eventually it should settle on that level. When? I don't know.

That should read LPG costs more than half of petrol. 11 Baht c.f. 17 Baht =65%

No, I was talking about production costs.

On the market it's sold by tons but 11 baht at the pump is a price for litre. 8.5 baht for NGV is a price per kilo, afaik.

LPG is a by product of oil refining, that's why its price is linked to the price of petroleum.

Prices at the pumps here are not determined by market rates but by policies and subsidies.

But if the cost of LPG is going to be raised from 11 Baht to 17 Baht then anyone considering converting now would have to calculate the saving at the new rate.

And that saving is approximately 0% as the 2 fuels will be virtualy identical in price and there might even be a saving on using Gasohol 91 compared to LPG.

I'm confused... Monty's 30% saving was already considering 17 Baht per liter wasn't it?

So at 17 baht/liter, is the savings 30% or 0% as suggested by PattayaParent?

LPG os only good if the price difference is high, in compare with the gasoline. We checked many cars and different motors. Most of engines get problems with the valves and cilinderheads after using 2 years of LPG (knocking noise). Engine swap cost easy 20 to 50'k, depend on size and model. So at the moment's price of oil it's not worth tu use LPG and damaging your engine.