New Work Permit Rules On Samui, As Of 13th Nov.

Did my (90 day) border run, stopped back at Asia Travel for them to extend my Work Permit to match my passport stamp, and people are in tears there.

(I am employed by a company here, have a WP and pay tax each month.)

I was told that there's a new head of immigration, and new rules.

So - now I need lots of documents to extend my visa - all I was told was that "it's the same letter that you need for a visa application - but with other information". Plus a tax statement of some sort.

WHAT other information - nobody knew. They hadn't been told. It appears that there is a Thai application form of some sort - and whatever is on there, needs to be transcribed into a letter of application, in Engllish.

And then there is now an application for a WP that runs for up to 3 years, according to what the employer writes on the application letter.

These were the new rules that came into play on Thursday. When I went into Asia Travel today (Friday) there were 27 names on the "logged-in" list (I counted) all waiting for someone to tell them what they now need, in order to proceed further.

Does anyone actually know what's going on and what is now needed? Asia travel doesn't!

HELP!

Rob

Did my (90 day) border run, stopped back at Asia Travel for them to extend my Work Permit to match my passport stamp, and people are in tears there.

(I am employed by a company here, have a WP and pay tax each month.)

I was told that there's a new head of immigration, and new rules.

So - now I need lots of documents to extend my visa - all I was told was that "it's the same letter that you need for a visa application - but with other information". Plus a tax statement of some sort.

WHAT other information - nobody knew. They hadn't been told. It appears that there is a Thai application form of some sort - and whatever is on there, needs to be transcribed into a letter of application, in Engllish.

And then there is now an application for a WP that runs for up to 3 years, according to what the employer writes on the application letter.

These were the new rules that came into play on Thursday. When I went into Asia Travel today (Friday) there were 27 names on the "logged-in" list (I counted) all waiting for someone to tell them what they now need, in order to proceed further.

Does anyone actually know what's going on and what is now needed? Asia travel doesn't!

HELP!

Rob

Asia Travel - I know, I know, but is the WRONG Adress mate!

The RIGHT adress is the Ministry of Labor - Surratthani!

Sorry, but this is the RIGHT way to go, NO problem IF everthig is right!

Simple as that!

There has been "rumors" since, that people in office no not like the "sideliners" doing the WP (and Visa!) through "agents"!

They have the nasty habit to show off theyr'e new purchases like the brand new BWM and other flashy, costly equipment.... which doesn't go down well in the ministry....!

Capito?

Have done it several times myself, very friendly, very helpfulk and NEVER had a problem!

aaahh... well..

:o

just got a work permit yesterday and now the work permit runs for 1 year and you dont have to renew it every 3 months when you do a visa run which is alot better,so dont have to pay the 2100b every 3 months to renew work permit,but my lawyer is asking me for 6000b now because i dont have to renew every 3 months,im not going to pay that as thats just a rip off why should i pay 6000b for nothing!after 1 year then i will pay 6000b to renew work permit,does anyone agree that the lawyer is trying to rip me off asking for 6000b for nothing?cheers.

just got a work permit yesterday and now the work permit runs for 1 year and you dont have to renew it every 3 months when you do a visa run which is alot better,so dont have to pay the 2100b every 3 months to renew work permit,but my lawyer is asking me for 6000b now because i dont have to renew every 3 months,im not going to pay that as thats just a rip off why should i pay 6000b for nothing!after 1 year then i will pay 6000b to renew work permit,does anyone agree that the lawyer is trying to rip me off asking for 6000b for nothing?cheers.

I agree you are getting ripped off..i went to renew my work Permit last week albeit i work in bangkok and the total cost of renewing it for 1 year........ 0 baht

• 2 weeks later...

I agree you are getting ripped off..i went to renew my work Permit last week albeit i work in bangkok and the total cost of renewing it for 1 year........ 0 baht

I just received my work permit back and had to pay 4000 Baht for it to be valid for 1 year. A friend of mine who uses one of the well known accountant/lawyers here on Samui was told that because Samui now falls under Bangkok control and no longer Suratthani, that he has to pay double to have his work permit renewed. His work permit had to be renewed prior to Nov. 13 so still only goes for 3 months. Does anyone else know if this would be correct ? I can't see why, just because now under Bangkok control.