Brazilian Bikini

MoniPhuket

Hi, Do you think it is a good idea to sell Brazilian Bikinis in Thailand? I know that tourists would buy, but would Thai people like them? Certainly I would sell the big ones :o ).

No,

Thais who are not "in the game" are very modest people and don't even where normal bikini's. Have you been to the beach in Thailand? The ladies go in fully clothed.

Also such things as the itty bitty Brazilian Bikinis (which I love don't get me wrong) are sort of an insult to Thai people overall, sort of like topless sunbathing, Uh.....how should I put this.........it insults their modesty(?).

Sort of an insult? No no no!!! Maybe "micro"bikinis, but few brazilians use micro! I have two Thai friends that enjoyed them a lot! They are not like you think. Even in Middle East the Brazilian Bikinis are sold successfully, and I'm sure they are much more reserved in that part of the world.

Sort of an insult? No no no!!! Maybe "micro"bikinis, but few brazilians use micro! I have two Thai friends that enjoyed them a lot! They are not like you think. Even in Middle East the Brazilian Bikinis are sold successfully, and I'm sure they are much more reserved in that part of the world.

Hi Moni,

o.k.,let me take a different approach.

When setting up a business and doing whats called due diligence, you first need to identify your target market. Who are you going to sell this item to.

Have you done that?

When you have your target market, you then need to do a survey. Go and ask these people if they would buy such an item at such and such price.

Also, a big problem I see is the fact that the caste system is still in the works here and the women don't want to be dark, thus, they don't go to the beach alot.

I actually think making bikinis here, and shipping them out is a better idea, i.e. "Phuket Bikini Company", ship to the U.S., OZ, Europe.

Your head is in the right spot though, much better than the guy looking to lose his money in a bar.

Best of luck !

Thanks Huggy. Any suggestions are welcome :o. I'm thinking to sell the bikinis to foreigners because it's difficult to find bikinis with good quality and nice design in Phuket, but it would be great if I could sell them to Thai women. They are beautiful, many married to foreigners, maybe it's time to change their minds, who knows? I know it will be difficult but maybe it works. Anyway, thanks a lot for your help and suggestions.

Thanks Huggy. Any suggestions are welcome :o . I'm thinking to sell the bikinis to foreigners because it's difficult to find bikinis with good quality and nice design in Phuket, but it would be great if I could sell them to Thai women. They are beautiful, many married to foreigners, maybe it's time to change their minds, who knows? I know it will be difficult but maybe it works. Anyway, thanks a lot for your help and suggestions.

My T/Gf would love one. Where can I go to see the ones you have for sale. You can't post websites here but you can pm me.

My cousin lives her and she would definetly buy one because she is always complaining about the stuff available here.

Not ALL Thai women are the same. My G/F loves her bikini's. And she wears them to the beach everyday.

todd

Hi Moni

There is definitely a need for good quality bikinis and bathing suits. Most of the rubbish sold in the small souvenir / clothing shops last a couple of days and then lose the elasticity.

I have just bought 4 bikinis from a shop in Karon (across from The Marina Cottages) who also sell Brazilian Bikinis. The reason why I bought 4 was in case they do not get more for this season.

An idea would be to visit the Dive Centers as many of the Instructors are always in need of bathing suits.

Let me know when you get some in.

Good luck! :o

Edited by Chantal

Thanks Huggy. Any suggestions are welcome :D . I'm thinking to sell the bikinis to foreigners because it's difficult to find bikinis with good quality and nice design in Phuket, but it would be great if I could sell them to Thai women. They are beautiful, many married to foreigners, maybe it's time to change their minds, who knows? I know it will be difficult but maybe it works. Anyway, thanks a lot for your help and suggestions.

My T/Gf would love one. Where can I go to see the ones you have for sale. You can't post websites here but you can pm me.

My cousin lives her and she would definetly buy one because she is always complaining about the stuff available here.

Not ALL Thai women are the same. My G/F loves her bikini's. And she wears them to the beach everyday.

todd

Hi todd, as soon as I have them with me I will take some pictures and send to you ok? I'm sure your T/Gf will love :o

Hi Moni

There is definitely a need for good quality bikinis and bathing suits. Most of the rubbish sold in the small souvenir / clothing shops last a couple of days and then lose the elasticity.

I have just bought 4 bikinis from a shop in Karon (across from The Marina Cottages) who also sell Brazilian Bikinis. The reason why I bought 4 was in case they do not get more for this season.

An idea would be to visit the Dive Centers as many of the Instructors are always in need of bathing suits.

Let me know when you get some in.

Good luck! :o

Hi Chantal, I pm you when I get some in, I'm sure you will not have problems with bikinis anymore :D

Moni, every time I go home to Brasil (once every two years only) I always stock up on bikinis. Every time a family member comes to visit from Brasil (once or twice a year), guess what I ask for? Bikinis. It would be great to find some good quality but simple models like the ones Bum-Bum Ipanema sell back home.

As for whether you will find a substantial market among Thai women, I have to agree with Huggy that you shouldn't get your hopes up. Most Thai women, even those attached to falang men, are very modest in their swim wear choices. Many go to the beach in shorts and tee shirts rather than swim suits, and those who do wear purpose-made swim suits tend to have on things that would get a young woman laughed off the beach in embarrassment in Brasil they cover up so much skin.

Do let me know when you have some stock. In the meantime, I've got an order in with one of my nieces who is coming in December. :o

Edited by mfiskong

Moni, every time I go home to Brasil (once every two years only) I always stock up on bikinis. Every time a family member comes to visit from Brasil (once or twice a year), guess what I ask for? Bikinis. It would be great to find some good quality but simple models like the ones Bum-Bum Ipanema sell back home.

As for whether you will find a substantial market among Thai women, I have to agree with Huggy that you shouldn't get your hopes up. Most Thai women, even those attached to falang men, are very modest in their swim wear choices. Many go to the beach in shorts and tee shirts rather than swim suits, and those who do wear purpose-made swim suits tend to have on things that would get a young woman laughed off the beach in embarrassment in Brasil they cover up so much skin.

Do let me know when you have some stock. In the meantime, I've got an order in with one of my nieces who is coming in December. :o

Nice to find a Brazilian living in Phuket. I'll pm you ok?

Edited by MoniPhuket

I love Brazilian Bikinis. Part of my family are Argentine, so when I get the chance to visit its one thing on my buying wish list. The cut of the bottoms is much more flattering for a womans body, especially if you have a curvy butt. The designers really took into consideration a womans shape when designing to flatter and show off, rather than just some big granny pant style bottoms that seem to be the general norm (in the UK too).

Thais who are not "in the game" are very modest people and don't even where normal bikini's. Have you been to the beach in Thailand? The ladies go in fully clothed.

Sorry, but this "Thais don't go to the beach or wear bikinis" thing is many years out of date. Thais these days love going to the beach - just go to Koh Chang, Koh Samet or Hua Hin on any weekend and you'll see hundreds of Thais on the beach, and the majority of the Thai girls will be wearing bikinis. And these aren't girls who are "in the game" either.

Sure, some Thais do still go fully clothed on the beach, but this trend is rapidly decreasing and it's more common these days to see a Thai girl on the beach in a bikini than being fully clothed.

So, to answer the OP, you'll have no problem selling your bikinis to Thais. Good luck!

Hallo Moni,

similar to Huggy Bear I would suggest that you make a market survey first, but unlike Huggy I think you have to consider to whom YOU want to sell, i.e. the small retail shops or big department stores (I presume you don't want to be a beach vendor selling it piece by piece).

You see, IF (and I purposely put it in capital letters) you decide for an import business what will happen: You have to order from manufacturer in Brazil (how many? 100000/a container full? different sizes, different shapes, different designs?), you have to finance it, you have to ship from country of origin to Thailand (I guess Bangkok), get merchandise through custom (import-duty?), ship them (by truck - transportation cost ?) to Phuket and then, then only (!) YOU (or who else?) have to distribute to retail shops (get immediate payment, not on consignment basis!?). A lot of work. Consider carefully!

Maybe it would be more advisable to get some samples and find a suitable manufacturer locally. Still remains the problem to find suitable retail shops. Don't forget you need work permit, Thai company etc.

For every idea, there will be people who always think it will be hard, or too hard.

Market Survey's? It is an island, jeez. It ain't like your going to be selling Parka's or snowboard's.

My G/F has a bunch of friends over at the moment, (as I am held up in the bedroom with the baby). I walked out to ask her if she would want one, and she had no idea what I was talking about.

I googled them, and she went crazy. She and her friends would probably buy you out as all of her friends are either dating or married to Rig Pigs, (Highly Paid Oil Rig Workers) and are super hott!!

TiT. Everything mentioned will be easy to do. I wouldn't suggest doing anything illegal, but a Thai partner may help out a bunch. You, as a farang, will get jacked on everything because, well...this is thailand.

I tried to be an importer of "something" and it was just stupid how much I got screwed.

My G/F's best friend does clothes from Hong Kong, Paris and Milan. She owns her own company, and she mentioned if you needed help, she could point you in the right direction, and help you get started.

If you do it alone, you may get ripped off. If you are interested, I can give you her number, and she will be glad to assist you.

I long for the day to be walking down the beach and see hot thai women dressed in your bikini's.

For the sake of saying, I am behind you 110%.

I attached a picture of one she bought in Pattaya. It lasted 2 swims, and fell apart.

Good Luck!!!

todd

post-61156-1226842774_thumb.jpg

As suggested, its always good to plan and market. But from your nik i guess you are in Phuket, and i imagine there is a good flow of tourists (even in these financial times). Even though most women buy their bikinis before coming on holiday, they normally only take 2, and usually like to buy 1 or 2 more when they reach their location. If the bikinis are nice, they are definitely marketable. I also think that they youngThai ladies often like to look to the west for inspiration. I think if it becomes normal to see brazilian bikinis being worn amongst the western ladies, then as soon as one or two Thai ladies begin to follow, many will become more interested to follow suit.

Maybe worth considering finding out who are some of the more popular/well known and liked groups in Phuket and offering some bikinis for free. Maybe some photos of Thai girls (especially if well-known) wearing them would help promote them to Thai also.

Good luck with the idea. :o

OH just one thing that has come to mind though. When in Argentina, I dont recall seeing any bikini with padded tops. I personally dont like padding, but I do like the thin layer they do in the tops here (that can be removed) because if i need to wear a bikini top out as a bra during the daytime, it looks more well..polite. Any bras/bikini/clothes that reveal any definition of the nipples seem to be a big no-no here. Would also be worth remembering that many Thai ladies like their bikinis to be padded or have bra-style padding for a bigger cup size. Maybe its something that is actually available with the brazilian bikini, but not sure. Just another factor for you.

Edited by eek

Hallo Moni,

similar to Huggy Bear I would suggest that you make a market survey first, but unlike Huggy I think you have to consider to whom YOU want to sell, i.e. the small retail shops or big department stores (I presume you don't want to be a beach vendor selling it piece by piece).

You see, IF (and I purposely put it in capital letters) you decide for an import business what will happen: You have to order from manufacturer in Brazil (how many? 100000/a container full? different sizes, different shapes, different designs?), you have to finance it, you have to ship from country of origin to Thailand (I guess Bangkok), get merchandise through custom (import-duty?), ship them (by truck - transportation cost ?) to Phuket and then, then only (!) YOU (or who else?) have to distribute to retail shops (get immediate payment, not on consignment basis!?). A lot of work. Consider carefully!

Maybe it would be more advisable to get some samples and find a suitable manufacturer locally. Still remains the problem to find suitable retail shops. Don't forget you need work permit, Thai company etc.

Hallo Lotus,

I liked your view, thanks a lot!

Hallo Moni,

Hallo Lotus,

Hallo Moni,

Hallo Lotus,

For every idea, there will be people who always think it will be hard, or too hard.

Market Survey's? It is an island, jeez. It ain't like your going to be selling Parka's or snowboard's.

My G/F has a bunch of friends over at the moment, (as I am held up in the bedroom with the baby). I walked out to ask her if she would want one, and she had no idea what I was talking about.

I googled them, and she went crazy. She and her friends would probably buy you out as all of her friends are either dating or married to Rig Pigs, (Highly Paid Oil Rig Workers) and are super hott!!

TiT. Everything mentioned will be easy to do. I wouldn't suggest doing anything illegal, but a Thai partner may help out a bunch. You, as a farang, will get jacked on everything because, well...this is thailand.

I tried to be an importer of "something" and it was just stupid how much I got screwed.

My G/F's best friend does clothes from Hong Kong, Paris and Milan. She owns her own company, and she mentioned if you needed help, she could point you in the right direction, and help you get started.

If you do it alone, you may get ripped off. If you are interested, I can give you her number, and she will be glad to assist you.

I long for the day to be walking down the beach and see hot thai women dressed in your bikini's.

For the sake of saying, I am behind you 110%.

I attached a picture of one she bought in Pattaya. It lasted 2 swims, and fell apart.

Good Luck!!!

todd

Hello todd,

Thank your G/F, maybe it's a good idea to have someone to help. I pm you if I need help, thanks.

Hallo Moni,

Thanks for your (numerous…) replies.

Please get me right, I am absolutely not against any successful business idea. And if you see a market chance, do it.

But let me give some more considerations. You see, I have no idea about “Brazilian Bikinis”, maybe my wife does. What I want to point out is, a Brazilian Bikini is not – at least from my point of view – a real brand name like Gucci or Dior or who else. That means, how much can you mark up to make a profit?

And another thought, let’s presume you import a container load and let’s even presume you are successful selling it, what do you think will happen? Just here in Thailand, just here in Phuket? Hmmm??? Yes, you sell your container load and after that the shops will still be flooded with “Brazilian Bikinis”. Why? Well, think about all the counterfeit products like Vuitton bags, Rolex watches etc. in the small retail shops. Just because these things are so popular, just because these things sell so well, they are copied. And sold for less than a quarter of the price of the originals. And just the farangs, just those tourists, as mentioned by the other participants of this thread, buy the faked products because they are so much cheaper!

Sorry to be a bit sarcastic, but your first container might just be a load of more or less free samples to the local textile industry.

Again, Moni, it is not my intention to stop you from pursuing a maybe successful idea. I just gave my thoughts to your topic.

If you want to get a feel for what your sales mix would be (Thais vs. others) in Phuket, I would suggest you walk the beaches in Phuket and count the number of Thai and non-Thai women. Of the Thais, take note of how many are wearing bikinis vs. T-shirt and jeans or shorts.

You'll also want to take note of how many tourists on the beach fit the profile of someone who would wear your product. The tourist demographics seem to change with the seasons (high and low), but at times it seems that the beaches are populated mostly by overweight, 60+ year old hausfraus. Your target market may only be present in large numbers during certain times of the year.

Once you've got the beach demographics, you can decide on who your target market will be. Also agree with the other poster that mentioned many Thai women will only wear a padded top - so that could also affect your market and logistics.

Hallo Moni,

Thanks for your (numerous…) replies.

Please get me right, I am absolutely not against any successful business idea. And if you see a market chance, do it.

But let me give some more considerations. You see, I have no idea about “Brazilian Bikinis”, maybe my wife does. What I want to point out is, a Brazilian Bikini is not – at least from my point of view – a real brand name like Gucci or Dior or who else. That means, how much can you mark up to make a profit?

And another thought, let’s presume you import a container load and let’s even presume you are successful selling it, what do you think will happen? Just here in Thailand, just here in Phuket? Hmmm??? Yes, you sell your container load and after that the shops will still be flooded with “Brazilian Bikinis”. Why? Well, think about all the counterfeit products like Vuitton bags, Rolex watches etc. in the small retail shops. Just because these things are so popular, just because these things sell so well, they are copied. And sold for less than a quarter of the price of the originals. And just the farangs, just those tourists, as mentioned by the other participants of this thread, buy the faked products because they are so much cheaper!

Sorry to be a bit sarcastic, but your first container might just be a load of more or less free samples to the local textile industry.

Again, Moni, it is not my intention to stop you from pursuing a maybe successful idea. I just gave my thoughts to your topic.

Don't worry Lotus, I'm here to get information and advice. Regarding the reply, I don't know what happened, I replied only once. Take care

Edited by MoniPhuket

To mfiskong.

I assume from the wording of your post you are Brazilian (Brasilian?).

I must say: your command of the English language is ultra-excellent; much better than the average person whose mother tongue is English.

Muito obrigada! Como vê, também domino o português. (Translation: Thank you very much! As you can see, my Portuguese is also fluent.

Hi, Do you think it is a good idea to sell Brazilian Bikinis in Thailand? I know that tourists would buy, but would Thai people like them? Certainly I would sell the big ones :o ).

If you are planning on importing be ready for some serious headaches and paperwork with the import and customs people here.

You will need to hire Thai staff to wade through those waters.

If the import duties get too outrageous look to import to Singapore and bring to Thailand under the ASEAN treaty.

Also, you will need to set up a company and you'll need a work permit.