Suan Plu Retirement Visa Renewal

After reading the various messages on the board about renewal for the retirement visa, I armed myself with

1- Bank Letter (Balance more than 800,000)

2- Letter from US Embassy (maybe not necessary with #1 above, but I got it anyway just in case)

3- Medical Certificate

4- TM 7 Form completed (application for temporary extension of stay)

5- TM 8 Form completed (application for Re-Entry Permit)

6- several photographs

7- Thai Baht for the fees

Plus numerous photocopies of the above plus photocopies of passport, old/current (expiring) retirement visa, and various pages which had the Thai entry stamps.

The first thing I discovered at Suan Plu was that they don't like photocopies of the TM 7 form. I had photocopied a blank form and used that (completed) photocopy. Not acceptable. So the nice lady gave me a blank original form which I filled out, pasted on my pic and went to pay my fee and then back to the room to sit and wait my turn.

The second thing I discovered is that they didn't want multiple photocopies of everything. One copy of each sufficed, thank you.

1 only the original medical certificate (no photocopy required),

2- only the original Bank letter (no photocopy required),

3- only the original letter from the Embassy (no photocopy required)

4- only one photocopy of the first page of my passport

5- only one photocopy of my current (expiring) retirement visa

6- only one photocpy of the page in my passport with my most recent entry into Thailand They did NOT need copies of all my entries into Thailand, only the last entry, i.e. the entry which I was using at the time of the application.

7- only one photocopy of my current TM Card

8- only one 4x6cm photo (actually mine wasn't the right size but ... mai pen rai)

All the above was easy as I had made several photocopies of all of the above plus photocopies of ALL my entry/exit stamps as another poster had said this was required when he applied for his retirement visa renewal .... which goes to show you how things can differ between immigration offices and even differ probably from day to day!

Then to my utter amazement the nice immigration officer got up and when to a pile of papers leaning against the wall and pulled out my last year's application for the retirement visa. I mean, this filing system or whatever looks like total chaos ... but it works!

He used my old application (from last year) to fill out the form in Thai which they must do and so I didn't have to answer any of those questions like; what is your address, what is your father's name, etc etc etc. The info was simply copied quickly and efficiently from my last year's form onto this year's form. I signed and my new visa was stamped into my passport but not yet signed. The the new forms were added onto the top the old forms and I carried this stack of papers with a little red square of paper where they were clipped together in the upper left hand corner to then next nice lady who looked it all over and smiled and signed my visa.

I asked politely ... "set leaw mai krap" ... and she replied ... "set leaw kaa". And that was that.

I then went for the multiple re-entry stamp window after filling out an original TM 8 form (I had previously filled out the form downloaded from the internet but given my experience with the TM 7, I decided to take the time to fill out a real original TM 8).

I handed the TM 8 form (again only one form and one pic is necessary ... no photocopy required) plus my passport with the spanking new retirement visa and my Baht .... and the nice man behind the counter told me to return in an hour to pick up my passport with Re-entry permit. So I left and went out for a bite to eat and came back after 30 minutes and low and behold my passport with new Re-Entry was there waiting for me!

The whole process at Suan Plu took about 2.5 hours. It would have gone much faster if I had arrived earlier. I arrived there at 10AM because I had to wait for my bank to issue the letter.

Suan Plu opens at 8:30 and I think it's possible to do the whole process in an hour if one arrives there early and has everything in hand.

After reading the various messages on the board about renewal for the retirement visa, I armed myself with

1-  Bank Letter  (Balance more than 800,000)

2- Letter from US Embassy  (maybe not necessary with #1 above, but I got it anyway just in case)

3- Medical Certificate

6-  several photographs

7-  Thai Baht for the fees

Plus numerous photocopies of the above plus photocopies of passport, old/current (expiring) retirement visa, and various pages which had the Thai entry stamps.

The first thing I discovered at Suan Plu was that they don't like photocopies of the TM 7 form.  I had photocopied a blank form and used that (completed) photocopy.  Not acceptable.  So the nice lady gave me a blank original form which I filled out, pasted on my pic and went to pay my fee and then back to the room to sit and wait my turn.

The second thing I discovered is that they didn't want multiple photocopies of everything. One copy of each sufficed, thank you. 

1  only the original medical certificate (no photocopy required),

2-  only the original Bank letter (no photocopy required),

3-  only the original letter from the Embassy (no photocopy required)

4-  only one photocopy of the first page of my passport

5-  only one photocopy of my current (expiring) retirement visa

6-  only one photocpy of the page in my passport with my most recent entry into Thailand They did NOT need copies of all my entries into Thailand, only the last entry, i.e. the entry which I was using at the time of the application.

7-  only one photocopy of my current TM Card

8-  only one 4x6cm photo  (actually mine wasn't the right size but ... mai pen rai)

All the above was easy as I had made several photocopies of all of the above plus photocopies of ALL my entry/exit stamps as another poster had said this was required when he applied for his retirement visa renewal .... which goes to show you how things can differ between immigration offices and even differ probably from day to day!

Then to my utter amazement the nice immigration officer got up and when to a pile of papers leaning against the wall and pulled out my last year's application for the retirement visa. I mean, this filing system or whatever looks like total chaos ... but it works!

He used my old application (from last year) to fill out the form in Thai which they must do and so I didn't have to answer any of those questions like; what is your address, what is your father's name, etc etc etc.  The info was simply copied quickly and efficiently from my last year's form onto this year's form. I signed and my new visa was stamped into my passport but not yet signed. The the new forms were added onto the top the old forms and I carried this stack of papers with a little red square of paper where they were clipped together in the upper left hand corner to then next nice lady who looked it all over and smiled and signed my visa.

I asked politely ... "set leaw mai krap" ... and she replied ... "set leaw kaa".  And that was that.

I then went for the multiple re-entry stamp window after filling out an original TM 8 form (I had previously filled out the form downloaded from the internet but given my experience with the TM 7, I decided to take the time to fill out a real original TM 8).

I handed the TM 8 form (again only one form and one pic is necessary ... no photocopy required) plus my passport with the spanking new retirement visa and my Baht .... and the nice man behind the counter told me to return in an hour to pick up my passport with Re-entry permit.  So I left and went out for a bite to eat and came back after 30 minutes and low and behold my passport with new Re-Entry was there waiting for me!

The whole process at Suan Plu took about 2.5 hours.  It would have gone much faster if I had arrived earlier.  I arrived there at 10AM because I had to wait for my bank to issue the letter.

Suan Plu opens at 8:30 and I think it's possible to do the whole process in an hour if one arrives there early and has everything in hand.

Hi,

Great informative post

Can you tell me (us) what is the content of the Embassy letter ?

Do you think they would have asked for it if you did not have it ?

Did you have to show your bank book or was the letter from the bank enough ?

Thanks

1-  Bank Letter  (Balance more than 800,000)

2- Letter from US Embassy  (maybe not necessary with #1 above, but I got it anyway just in case)

3- Medical Certificate

6-  several photographs

7-  Thai Baht for the fees

The first thing I discovered at Suan Plu was that they don't like photocopies of the TM 7 form.  I had photocopied a blank form and used that (completed) photocopy.  Not acceptable.  So the nice lady gave me a blank original form which I filled out, pasted on my pic and went to pay my fee and then back to the room to sit and wait my turn.

1   only the original medical certificate (no photocopy required),

2-  only the original Bank letter (no photocopy required),

3-  only the original letter from the Embassy (no photocopy required)

4-  only one photocopy of the first page of my passport

5-  only one photocopy of my current (expiring) retirement visa

6-  only one photocpy of the page in my passport with my most recent entry into Thailand They did NOT need copies of all my entries into Thailand, only the last entry, i.e. the entry which I was using at the time of the application.

7-  only one photocopy of my current TM Card

8-  only one 4x6cm photo  (actually mine wasn't the right size but ... mai pen rai)

He used my old application (from last year) to fill out the form in Thai which they must do and so I didn't have to answer any of those questions like; what is your address, what is your father's name, etc etc etc.  The info was simply copied quickly and efficiently from my last year's form onto this year's form. I signed and my new visa was stamped into my passport but not yet signed. The the new forms were added onto the top the old forms and I carried this stack of papers with a little red square of paper where they were clipped together in the upper left hand corner to then next nice lady who looked it all over and smiled and signed my visa.

I asked politely ... "set leaw mai krap" ... and she replied ... "set leaw kaa".   And that was that.

I handed the TM 8 form (again only one form and one pic is necessary ... no photocopy required) plus my passport with the spanking new retirement visa and my Baht .... and the nice man behind the counter told me to return in an hour to pick up my passport with Re-entry permit.  So I left and went out for a bite to eat and came back after 30 minutes and low and behold my passport with new Re-Entry was there waiting for me!

The whole process at Suan Plu took about 2.5 hours.  It would have gone much faster if I had arrived earlier.  I arrived there at 10AM because I had to wait for my bank to issue the letter.

Hi,

Great informative post

Can you tell me (us) what is the content of the Embassy letter ?

Do you think they would have asked for it if you did not have it ?

Did you have to show your bank book or was the letter from the bank enough ?

Thanks

The rules say letter and passbook. But who knows on the day.

Thanks rogerdee123. Very nice experience and clear report.

As for 'no photocopies', had this year first time same experience. All forms copied and filled in by tyewriter in Thai. Had to re-write by hand on originals.

Filing system: Never fails to amuse me. OK, they expect you and put all the files out for a certain period, knowing you will show up. :o

As for 'no photocopies', had this year first time same experience.

Does this mean no filled-in PDF forms using Acrobat?

Also read somewhere that 'digital camera' photos aren't allowed(?).

Should I invest in Parker pens and Brownie cameras?

As for 'no photocopies', had this year first time same experience.

Does this mean no filled-in PDF forms using Acrobat?

Also read somewhere that 'digital camera' photos aren't allowed(?).

Should I invest in Parker pens and Brownie cameras?

I tried to use the TM.7 form on this site and it was turned back in July. They now have forms on official site for Division 3 so would be interested if anyone has tried using them yet?

The digital camera thing you probably read on the Nong Khai website. It does not seem to be Division 3 policy AFAIK.

>Hi,

>Great informative post

>Can you tell me (us) what is the content of the Embassy letter ?

>Do you think they would have asked for it if you did not have it ?

>Did you have to show your bank book or was the letter from the bank enough ?

>Thanks

The Embassy Letter (American Embassy) is really just a form letter that you just fill in the blanks with your name, passport, place of birth etc and then your monthly income ... and then the consular officer has you swear it's true and that's it. The Embassy didn't check for bank statements or anything to prove that the income amount you are swearing to is correct.

I also did the Embassy letter last year and I told them at the Embassy that I thought I only needed a letter of introduction or something similar (because I have adequate funds in the bank). The consular office asked me what visa I was applying for and when I said "Retirement" he said, this is the only letter we do for retirement visas. So I did it. In the first part of the letter it verifies your name and passport number etc ... and probably in my case this is all that's necessary.

When I applied for the Retirement visa the first time, they seemed to look carefully at both the Embassy Letter and the Letter from the Bank. This time upon renewal, at Suan Plu they looked at the Embassy letter and already filled out the Thai form before even noticing the letter from the Bank, which leads me to believe that the Embassy letter would have sufficed (on this ocassion).

In both cases, when I applied for the first retirement visa and also this time for renewal, I was never asked for any further documentation regarding my bank balance or any other proof of my finances. The letter from the bank and the Embassy letter was all I submitted. I'm not sure, but maybe only one of those would have been enough. But since they both documents are relatively easy to get, I got them both.

>As for 'no photocopies', had this year first time same experience.

>Does this mean no filled-in PDF forms using Acrobat?

>Also read somewhere that 'digital camera' photos aren't allowed(?).

>Should I invest in Parker pens and Brownie cameras?

When I said no photocopies allowed, I had simply photocopied the forms and then filled them in by hand (parker pen). However they didn't want to accept the photocopied forms, even though I had filled in the blanks by hand (i.e. original hand written answers ... not photocopied).

So I think the PDF forms also are not acceptable. Actually I had downloaded TM 8 in PDF format and after my experience with the TM7, decided to complete an original TM8.

Next year I'm just going to start the (original) form collecting the day before I actually apply .. i.e. get the Embassy letter, bank letter, medical, etc the day before. Then I can be there at Suan Plu at 8:30 and ahead of the maddening crowd. :o

Roger, thanks for your report. Sounds like your experience is what others (particularly Lopburi) have posted, namely, for first time application for retirement extension, letter from embasssy plus bank letter usually needed; then, either/or for renewal (fellow in Chiang Mai didn't need the embassy letter for initial ).

A couple more questions.......

Presumably, the US Embassy letter is in English(?). Obviously, whatever language it's written in works. But just curious, as some Thai sites state all documents need to be in Thai.

For your initial extension, did you apply during the last 30 days of your 90-day entry stamp? If so, any feeling for whether or not you could have done so earlier?

And, for your initial application, was this also a same-day turnaround? (It appears for extensions for marriage, initial applicants get a temporary stamp and are told to come back in 30-40 days -- just wonder if retirement extensions are handled differently.)

Thanks again for your time.

>Hi,

>Great informative post

>Can you tell me (us)  what is the content of the Embassy letter ?

>Do you think they would have asked for it if you did not have it ?

>Did you have to show your bank book or was the letter from the bank enough ?

>Thanks

The Embassy Letter (American Embassy) is really just a form letter that you just fill in the blanks with your name, passport, place of birth etc and then your monthly income ... and then the consular officer has you swear it's true and that's it.  The Embassy didn't check for bank statements or anything to prove that the income amount you are swearing to is correct.

I also did the Embassy letter last year and I told them at the Embassy that I thought I only needed a letter of introduction or something similar (because I have adequate funds in the bank). The consular office asked me what visa I was applying for and when I said "Retirement" he said, this is the only letter we do for retirement visas. So I did it. In the first part of the letter it verifies your name and passport number etc ... and probably in my case this is all that's necessary.

When I applied for the Retirement visa the first time, they seemed to look carefully at both the Embassy Letter and the Letter from the Bank.  This time upon renewal, at Suan Plu they looked at the Embassy letter and already filled out the Thai form before even noticing the letter from the Bank, which leads me to believe that the Embassy letter would have sufficed (on this ocassion).

In both cases, when I applied for the first retirement visa and also this time for renewal, I was never asked for any further documentation regarding my bank balance or any other proof of my finances. The letter from the bank and the Embassy letter was all I submitted. I'm not sure, but maybe only one of those would have been enough. But since they both documents are relatively easy to get, I got them both.

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your reply,

If I undrstand correctly, the Embassy letter gives the details of your monthly income presumably from a pension and the bank latter gives the details of your bank account balance.

I hought that you had to have both if neither summed up to 800k per year (for the pension) or 800k for the bank balance. But that ether was enough if they et the 800k alone.

Anybody can confirm this ?

Thanks

>>Presumably, the US Embassy letter is in English(?). Obviously, whatever language it's written in works. But just curious, as some Thai sites state all documents need to be in Thai.

Yes the letter from the US Embassy is in English.

>> For your initial extension, did you apply during the last 30 days of your 90-day entry stamp? If so, any feeling for whether or not you could have done so earlier?

For my initial retirement visa (obtained in jan 2004) I didn't wait until the last 30 days of the 90 day entry stamp ... I applied within the first week of the 90-day visa. At Suan Plu the normal ladies processing the application pointed out this mistake and referred me to the boss lady who said I could go ahead and apply. If you go backand read the threads in January 2004 you will find a description of my experience there. It was also easy.

>>>And, for your initial application, was this also a same-day turnaround?

Yes ... also painless and about two hours total time at Suan Plu.

That extension has never required a medical certificate as you have valid reason for being here (support of wife) regardless of your condition. biggrin.gif

Good news. Being eligible for both married and retirement extensions, I was afraid my elephantitis and leprosy might screw things up. But now I'll just go to Immigration with my wife, hopping in on my one remaining, albeit huge, leg. :o

That extension has never required a medical certificate as you have valid reason for being here (support of wife) regardless of your condition. biggrin.gif

Good news. Being eligible for both married and retirement extensions, I was afraid my elephantitis and leprosy might screw things up. But now I'll just go to Immigration with my wife, hopping in on my one remaining, albeit huge, leg. :o

No syphillus ?

• 9 months later...
Roger,

Excellent report.

I'm going through my first renewal process this week and will post the trip report.

One question.

What is a TM card?

Thanks,

Twin

A Thai government form. You have a Tm.6 in your passport which is your departure half of the arrival card. You will fill out a Tm.7 at immigration for your extension of stay. You will then have to fill out a Tm.47 every 90 days to report your address.

You line up for form, fill out and pay, line up for notary service. I would allow an hour or two as sometimes busy.

map.gif

he American Citizen Services unit is open to the public Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m., except Thai and American holidays. (In addition, the consular section is closed to the public on the last Friday of every month.) Be sure to bring your passport for identification when you come. For general recorded information, please call (02) 205-4005. The ACS unit's fax number is (02) 205-4103, and the e-mail address is [email protected].

Roger,

Excellent report.

I'm going through my first renewal process this week and will post the trip report.

One question.

What is a TM card?

Thanks,

Twin

A Thai government form. You have a Tm.6 in your passport which is your departure half of the arrival card. You will fill out a Tm.7 at immigration for your extension of stay. You will then have to fill out a Tm.47 every 90 days to report your address.

For the curious ones, TM likely stands for Thor. Mor. which in Thai characters stand for Truat Khon Khao Muang, or Immegration in English. So an Immigration form.

In Thai newspaper, Immigration police is often abbreviated as TM (Thor. Mor.) as well.

For the curious ones, TM likely stands for Thor. Mor. which in Thai characters stand for Truat Khon Khao Muang, or Immegration in English.  So an Immigration form.

In Thai newspaper, Immigration police is often abbreviated as TM (Thor. Mor.) as well.

Thanks for that. Here's more info. for the even more curious: http://www.thai-language.com/id/200897

You line up for form, fill out and pay, line up for notary service.  I would allow an hour or two as sometimes busy.

map.gif

he American Citizen Services unit is open to the public Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m., except Thai and American holidays. (In addition, the consular section is closed to the public on the last Friday of every month.) Be sure to bring your passport for identification when you come. For general recorded information, please call (02) 205-4005. The ACS unit's fax number is (02) 205-4103, and the e-mail address is [email protected].

Super! Thank you for the useful info, Lopuri3.

Firstly thanks to Lopburi 3 who in another thread satisfied me I qualified for retirement visa.

This is not about retirement visa “extension” but I thought may be of some interest.

Yesterday I went to Suan Plu to obtain O retirement visa based on pension. Had 8 days remaining on 30 day extension to tourist visa.

Directed to room 303. Seen immediately, paperwok examined, and told needed minimum 21 days remaining and given form (TM86?) to complete. Identical to TM7 except intstead of why do you want to extend stay it asks why to you want a non-immigrant visa. Answer “retirement”.

Anyway, cross road for another set of passport photo-copies, complete TM7, then to Tourist visa extension desk. Asked for 15 days, directed to Room 206 where asked to confirm reason for extension and given further 30 days (20 Nov). Then back across road for photocopy of new extension stamp.

Back to Room 303. Wait 5 mins then seen by another very pleasant officer.

Immigration web site indicates that at this stage all you need is passport, photocopies and embassy letter. However I decided to play safe and took with me:

Passport (of course) and photo-copies of pages containing visa, last entry stamp, and latest extension stamp.

Standard letter from Embassy confirming pension, citizenship, and giving address in Thailand. (1763THB)

Medical Cetificate (50THB)

Standard Bank Letter (200THB) and copy of pages from Passbook.

Thai fiancee (EXPENSIVE)

She filled out a form in Thai which I (and fiancee – don’t know why) asked to sign and took copy of fiance’s ID. I was asked to return on Nov 14 to pick up visa (I was given a choice of dates). Was told would be given initial 3 months which I would need to later extend to 1 year for which I will need to provide identical paperwork (but see below).

Overall time of visit 50-55mins. But if I had attended without fiancee would probably have taken longer

POINT OF AMAZEMENT

My fiance jokingly but straight-faced told imm officer we were going to have to walk home because I had not expected to have to pay 1900 for tourist visa extension in addition to 2000 for O visa. I had no money and an ATM had swallowed my cash card en route. All true (but no problem because with passbook, which I had not been asked to produce, and passport I could get money from Bank).

She took it seriously and said they could make a LOAN to cover Taxi/bus fare. I thanked her and told her the walk would do me good.

Immediately before I left she asked again if I was sure I didn’t need the loan.

Absolutely true.

Points of interest:

To convert pension to THB they used exchange rate from morning newspaper.

Asked if they would accept copy of Embassy letter so I could keep original they said no. But when I apply for extension copy would be OK and if problem just say original in Room 303.

Embassy letter gave my correct up-country address but prefaced it with NANA HOTEL (copy and paste?). I had lightly crossed this through in ink. The first officer said this invalidated letter and I would need to get new letter. I politely protested so she conferred with colleagues who told her not a problem. Made for an uncomfortable couple of minutes

Was told it is very rare to see farang come unless accompanied by agent. I was asked how I knew visa could be obtained at Suan Phlu and she was pleased when I said I learnt from their own web-site. (But also thanks to Thaivisa.com where I came across link to the site).

In the office was a large sign telling you the senior officer to contact in event you have experienced difficulty!

On previous visit for Tourist visa extension I was asked to fill in a customer service questionaire asking you to score amenities, helpfulness, appearance and english ability of staff. WOW. I told the officer I had given good marks because I didn’t want to give him reason to refuse my application. I would have given good marks anyway.

LASTLY

On Monday when waiting my turn to request letter at Embassy I talked to a man accompanied by his fiancee and agent. They had come to request notarisation of affirmation of freedom to marry. Getting married on Wednesday. Agent was arranging everything. Charge by agency: a trifling FORTY FIVE THOUSAND BAHT. Comfirmed by his fiancee. Recommended by a friend. His fiancee told my fiancee he has the money so up to him, and by using this agent some of the initial paperwork was completed, by e-mail, before his arrival in Thailand.

For that money I would have expected it to include air fares, hotel accomodation and limousine service.