Information On Bmw Models In Thailand

NewtoBKK

Hi All,

Would greatly appreciate any advice you can give on where (website) I can obtain information on the BMW models we have in Thailand? I understand that the BMWs here are a little different from that in the other markets and the official BMW website lists only the current models... I am looking at the earlier 1998 to 2004 (E39 or E60?) models.

Thanks!

I can obtain information on the BMW models

here's all the info you need ....

like BMWs worldwide , they are overpriced , not very pretty , probably no better in local traffic conditions than a car that sells for half the price , and say things about the driver that probably should be left unsaid.

The guy asks a legitimate question and gets accosted. You'd think this is Thaivisa or something.... oh wait, it is.

NewtoBKK, I'm not sure where you can find the info you need. Are you asking if the spec is different on various models in Thailand as compared to those abroad? I would say yes, lower spec from the dealer, but you can order up any variation you want.

I think the E39s were all assembled abroad, and some/many E60s were assembled in Thailand. That's my issue with the newer Bimmers and Mercs - that they are assembled in Thailand (some).

Personally, I prefer the E38 to the E39, as the interior is exactly the same (pretty much) but with the E38 you get more room and a better design (IMO - I just happen to be a fan of the E38). In addition, for the E39, you'll see mostly the 2.3L engines, and you won't even find an E39 with a 4.0L V8 (of which they have many abroad) - but you can get one in the E38 with some searching...

U can also ask member pl(alexlah). He just bought a little "Bimmie" chick car, so he might be able to help :o

Ever heard of google.

It's simple, go to google.com, type the words "BMW Thailand", and right at the top is the official BMW site:

www.bmw.co.th

It has all the specs and prices, including from their own second hand dealer.

Ouch, harsh. sometimes it is easy to get the real info from folks, rather than the company sanitised brochures....

Ever heard of google.

It's simple, go to google.com, type the words "BMW Thailand", and right at the top is the official BMW site:

www.bmw.co.th

It has all the specs and prices, including from their own second hand dealer.

Ouch, harsh. sometimes it is easy to get the real info from folks, rather than the company sanitised brochures....

Read the OP again:

Hi All,

Would greatly appreciate any advice you can give on where (website) I can obtain information on the BMW models we have in Thailand? I understand that the BMWs here are a little different from that in the other markets and the official BMW website lists only the current models... I am looking at the earlier 1998 to 2004 (E39 or E60?) models.

Thanks!

Hi Jcon,

Thanks for your feedback.

Plus,

Yes, do read my initial post again:

I had already made reference to the official BMW website in Thailand - they only have detailed information on the current models and very limited information on the older models, and even then, only for models that they have in stock.

thanks for all the suggestions - i have been to these sites before, but the information they provide are based on the seller's input, which are mostly in thai!

in either case, i guess i'll most likely go for the whichever post-2000 523, 525, 528 or 530 with steptronic (i think!) i can find within my price range because i have absolutely no idea what the differences are in the different variants (eg. 523iA, 523SE, etc...) or between the different models (eg. engine, fuel consumption and performance specifications, etc...)

i notice that the prices of the cars vary quite significantly for the same model of the same age (eg. 2002 E39 523iA), any idea why this is the case? also, any idea how much we can usually bargain the prices down by?

any idea what i can reasonably aim for with a budget of around 800,000 baht, either now or maybe 6 months later when the effects of the financial crisis is more apparent, which will hopefully lower prices significantly!

or would you guys rather buy a new honda jazz/city or toyota vios/yaris??

Agree Millenium BMW sucks. Took my E38 in for service and they called me with a 70,000+ estimate. I went in there to ask about it, and they wouldn't even let me up to the "garage" to point out what they wanted to change... When the manager finally agreed to bring me up there (with him and another staffer), I talked to the mechanic and he was an idiot.

I was sick of bouncing around from bad service center to worse service center, so I finally gave up and sold my beloved E38. I miss my 20" Alpina Softlines....

NewtoBKK, to tell you the truth, I haven't seen a really nice E39 (i.e. well-taken care of) in a long time. There are just too many on the market with who knows what history. I notice that the owners of the E38s tend to take care of their cars a little better - maybe because the E39ers were stretching their budget in the first place, and didn't have any left over for maintenance, while the E38ers had more cash (just a guess).

If I could find a mechanic I trusted, I would consider the E38 again. E39 vs. honda jazz? I can't say for fear of being flamed for lacking self-confidence etc. for liking BMW over Honda or (gasp) Toyota. Horses for courses. But if you're even asking the question of E39 vs Toyota yaris - then buy the Yaris... Buying and E39 means you want an E39. Just my 2 cents.

jcon, i know what you mean by horses for courses - personally, i share pretty much the same views as you have on honda and toyota (in the same order!), but i have to accept the fact that this is thailand (and in particular, BKK!)... this simply means that it doesn't make sense to buy a relatively expensive car that will very likely get ruined by the roads, stuck in traffic and/or damaged by motorbikes!

plus, i can't even speak the language (not for want of trying though!), so, getting ripped off somewhere, some time is preety much par for course.

in my view, the pros and cons:

honda jazz/city - brand new, no worries about maintenance, reliability, history, etc...; but don't like the size and the drive (toyota - to a worse extent)

old bmw - oldish (, possible maintenance, reliability, history, etc.. problems; but prefer the look and the drive much much more...

new bmw - would do so if the road and traffic conditions were like in HK, SG, TW, Western Europe, US, AU (the list goes on....), but this is BKK!

Edited by NewtoBKK

I can obtain information on the BMW models

here's all the info you need ....

like BMWs worldwide , they are overpriced , not very pretty , probably no better in local traffic conditions than a car that sells for half the price , and say things about the driver that probably should be left unsaid.

Every car are overpriced in LOS, not only BMW. The poster like a different car, and there i'm agree. BMWs are diferrent to the basic boring Japanese cars. Who oever own and drove one knows what i mean. The suspension is perfect. The car still handling excellent, even at a Highspeed of 200km/h. BMW have much higher specs. You can't compare them with the floormodel Japanese cars. Personally i think BMW are much more pretty than a Jazz or a Vios. so the taste foe everyone is different.

• 2 weeks later...

jcon,

going with your idea that e39 owners stretching their budgets to get a bmw, i have been looking for a used 2003 steptronic 528 or 530! i would assume that the people who stretch their budgets to get a bmw will value form over substance and will therefore be owners of 523s.

unfortunately, i have yet to find any in the market... hmm....