Good Police Work

corkscrew

I am not sure why, but people accused of crimes in Thailand seem to confess quite readily. Does it have something to do with the Buddhist culture or are the police more convincing when they tell the persons in custody that they will feel better by coming 'clean'?

From my experience in America very few people who are charged with serious crimes say "I did it!" as soon as the finger is pointed in their direction. And, I expect that there are not too many Brits who when first brought, cap in hand, before the Old Bailey mutter "It's a fair cop!".

But, here in Bangkok the newspapers are full of quickly solved crimes. And, this is usually accompanied by a photograph of the defendant looking all contrite and sorry; in many cases he or she is even shown reenacting the crime for the benefit of the press....or, at least sitting all glum-like staring at a table piled high with illegal drug evidence.

Or, and this is likely, my impressions are just off base. Maybe I am reading the wrong papers...or reading them wrong.

I am not sure why, but people accused of crimes in Thailand seem to confess quite readily. Does it have something to do with the Buddhist culture or are the police more convincing when they tell the persons in custody that they will feel better by coming 'clean'?

From my experience in America very few people who are charged with serious crimes say "I did it!" as soon as the finger is pointed in their direction. And, I expect that there are not too many Brits who when first brought, cap in hand, before the Old Bailey mutter "It's a fair cop!".

But, here in Bangkok the newspapers are full of quickly solved crimes. And, this is usually accompanied by a photograph of the defendant looking all contrite and sorry; in many cases he or she is even shown reenacting the crime for the benefit of the press....or, at least sitting all glum-like staring at a table piled high with illegal drug evidence.

Or, and this is likely, my impressions are just off base. Maybe I am reading the wrong papers...or reading them wrong.

It's probably because they take a right old beating by the police, if they don't confess. And get a higher sentence when found guity.

Torture and threats have a profound influence here, it seems

How often have you met Thais who readily accept responsibility? A rarity, generally, in my experience.

You connect the dots...

There are some notorious exceptions (even in the press) to the police getting their man by any means: remember the Thai doctor who, a few years ago, was charged with killing his wife, cutting her up into bite-sized bits and flushing her down the toilet piece by piece? I think he drugged her sushi before taking the knife to her. But, I don't remember what happened to the case.

There is a book for sale in every other shop in Thailand. The book is called Damage

Done, and is about an Australian man who traffics drugs from India and finally

Thailand to Australia. Invetually he was caught in Thailand and arrested with a friend,

the police arrested a third man, the third man had nothing todo with the drugs. The

Thai police forced the two Australian men to sign a statement Indicating that all three

men where involved.

This book is a must read. With regards to the Thai police, prison and legal system it

will answer many questions.

There is an old saying, “A smile hides many sins”. I can only assume that a society

the smiles so much must be hiding many.

He was finally rounded up in Malaysia once the heat had died down and daddy had managed to buy a handful of judges.

The joke of a trial that followed is now a sorry episode of Thai history.

At the time he was on the run he was a little like Elvis. He was spotted all over the place.

They reckon that the talk of Cambodia was a smokescreen put up by his family to put the coppers off the scent, but lets face it, they weren't exactly breaking their backs trying to find him.

Posted Today, 2004-12-11 21:15:59

Rocky, the Damage Done should be taken with a very large grain of salt.

ProfessorFart Posted Today, 2004-12-11 21:14:35

I agree, though the story will be made up of many true events. (like many good stories)

It would be nice to see the likes of Duangchalerm confess to their crimes instead of running away and then hiding behind daddy.............

That is another hi-profile case. Did that one end after he went to Cambodia?

The Criminal Court found Duang Yubamrung not guilty. (Duangchalerm Yubamrung and brother Wanchalerm Yubamrung changed names to Duang and Wan last month. The court stated there were too many conflicting statements, insufficient evidence. A group of police officers saw Duang shoot the officer at point blank, this was not taken into account by the court which also ruled that Duang could not be found guilty of carrying an unlicensed weapon since he was not convicted of the shooting. His brother Wan, who held down the police officer while Duang shot him, was found guilty of assault. He got a one year suspended sentence and a 1,000 THB fine.