Pregnant Girlfriend

Don't bother posting if you want to have a dig.

My long term Thai girlfriend is pregnant. She went back to Thailand last week after a visit to Grim Britain. She was late on and went for a test which she's told me is positive. We want to stay together and maybe have this baby now but I need to know if she would have any right, being unmarried, to stay with me in the UK now the situation has changed.

Not sure what the ruling is but it's bound to be tougher whatever. Passports, visas and the like will be a constant pain. If you're thinking of staying together, just as well get married, but if not marriage and you're staying in the UK, make sure she has the baby in the UK.

she can have the baby here and apply for uk passport/citzenship,a mate of mine did that

I hope she didnt get a UK passport/citzenship just for getting knocked up, if she did tell her to send me a thankyou card for paying for her hospital bill, housing, child care, social security, legal fees when she divorces him etc.....

What Nationality are you? and what status?

Being born in the UK no longer carries automatic entitlement to Nationality.

Look Through Here

A person may be a British citizen:

* by descent; or

* otherwise than by descent.

This is a legal difference that affects whether or not a person can pass on citizenship to his/her children.

A person is a British citizen otherwise than by descent if he/she was:

* born in the United Kingdom after 1 January 1983 and one or both of his/her parents are British citizens, or were settled in the United Kingdom at the time of the birth; or

* adopted in the United Kingdom and one or both parents are British citizens.

A citizen otherwise than by descent can pass on British citizenship automatically to his/her children born outside the United Kingdom. But any children born outside the United Kingdom will be British citizens by descent, and cannot normally pass their citizenship to their own children born abroad. However, they can register their children as British citizens in certain circumstances.

A British citizen by descent cannot become a British citizen otherwise than by descent.

Good Luck

Moss

Don't bother posting if you want to have a dig.

My long term Thai girlfriend is pregnant. She went back to Thailand last week after a visit to Grim Britain. She was late on and went for a test which she's told me is positive. We want to stay together and maybe have this baby now but I need to know if she would have any right, being unmarried, to stay with me in the UK now the situation has changed.

Your girlfriend gets no automatic right to anything from the UK for having a child by a UK citizen. Any future settlement visa application may be looked on slightly more leniently if you have a child together, but other than that no, she can't come into the country long term without being engaged/married to you.

If it is your child and you want it to get a UK passport, you'll have to get your name down on the birth certificate and take a translation of this with a completed application form to the embassy and it can get a UK passport/birth certificate (Birth certificate is not necessary). It's not necessary for her to have the baby in the UK for.

I think there is some difference between the baby being born in the UK or outside. My daughter was born in Thailand and has both passports but further down the generations, perhaps one more, she could not pass on her British citizenship if she were to have her baby outside of the UK. I think that is is, a bit like cricketers who have Aussie grandparents being able to play for England but not from the generation before that.

For the OP.

If your GF had stayed then presumably she would have either broken her visa conditions or had to apply for some compassionate leave to remain. She should be able to return and have the baby in the UK and I would suggest you look at the latest a pregnant lady should fly and have her next visa extend past that. This is unnecessary if she will remain in Thailand for the birth.

You do not sound convinced that you want this baby - "maybe have this baby". I think that is the first item on your agenda, deciding whether you keep the baby or not.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I really want to have a baby with her and we had planned to marry next year after a couple more visits for her in the UK. We needed to know if she could live in the cold and adapt to the culture without turning into a recluse. I'm still not sure about this. I just want her to be happy and to live a full life. She's only 23 (I'm 27).

I love her and she loves me. I'm naturally sceptical and inquisitive enough to know she really does now but the time is not right to have a baby. Yes I know you can never be prepared enough or have enough money but I want my baby to stay with both parents every day. To learn everything about both our histories. For both of us to see the first steps and hear the first words. But if I cannot earn enough working in Thailand to live there and she has not proved to me that she can be happy long term in England then I can't be sure our baby would have a chance.

Take the next few days for instance. I really don't like being outside in this cold and I've lived and worked in it for a long time. She would struggle to get out of bed in a morning, never mind go outside the house in it. She just hibernates. What sort of life is that?....

Thanks for all the advice guys. I really want to have a baby with her and we had planned to marry next year after a couple more visits for her in the UK. We needed to know if she could live in the cold and adapt to the culture without turning into a recluse. I'm still not sure about this. I just want her to be happy and to live a full life. She's only 23 (I'm 27).

I love her and she loves me. I'm naturally sceptical and inquisitive enough to know she really does now but the time is not right to have a baby. Yes I know you can never be prepared enough or have enough money but I want my baby to stay with both parents every day. To learn everything about both our histories. For both of us to see the first steps and hear the first words. But if I cannot earn enough working in Thailand to live there and she has not proved to me that she can be happy long term in England then I can't be sure our baby would have a chance.

Take the next few days for instance. I really don't like being outside in this cold and I've lived and worked in it for a long time. She would struggle to get out of bed in a morning, never mind go outside the house in it. She just hibernates. What sort of life is that?....

You have a good positive attitude .. I am sure it will all work out for you. Best of luck to you

• 1 year later...

You have a good positive attitude .. I am sure it will all work out for you. Best of luck to you

Shamus,

I am now in a similar situation - I know your post was sometime ago.... but, how did it go ? - did your g/f get a visa whilst pregnant and was the baby born in England,. did she stay and like it ?

thanks