Need Expat Advice. Mitsubishi/toyota/honda Spares & Servicing

sideshow

Hello car owners,

I need a bit of advice. I am currently in the process of looking for a secondhand car for myself but mainly the other half. Of course she has these grand ideas about New Fortunas, Vios and large 4 wheel drives. Hay, why not, I like them too! Only one problem! I am not going to shell out on a massive new motor with all of her infinate knowledge of motoring "8 hours" TOTAL.

Basically I am looking at spending a few grand (sterling). I have seen a variety of motors, all of them fine for her first years driving in Bangkok (not worried if she hits a few things). The one thing I do need though is reliability and easy access to parts and servicing. Which manufacturer would you reccomend, Toyota (the more expensive option), Honda (the not too keen option) or Mitsubishi (they look Ok option).

I myself have seen a nice Audi but due to the fact that spare parts would be almost impossible to find, never mind finding a garage that knew what they were doing I think I will have to forget that option.

Anyway lads, any advice on any of the above makes for parts, reliability and servicing would be great. Thanks alot,

Sideshow.

Toyota is 'King' in Thailand, with Honda a distant second - as far as reliability and servicing is concerned.

I have run both and although the Honda dealer/service centre is pretty good, I have found the Toyota place on the left side of Sukhumvit going North, almost out of Pattaya towards Bangkok is excellent. There's another one on the other side of Sukhumvit, but I prefer the first one.

There are more Toyota dealers and service shops in Thailand than any other make, because they sell more, so wherever you go, you won't be far from help.

I once knew a Yank who was an engineer for Mazda in Japan, and he said he wouldn't drive any other make but Toyota, for reliability and value for money.

So there you go :o

Toyota is 'King' in Thailand, with Honda a distant second - as far as reliability and servicing is concerned.

I have run both and although the Honda dealer/service centre is pretty good, I have found the Toyota place on the left side of Sukhumvit going North, almost out of Pattaya towards Bangkok is excellent. There's another one on the other side of Sukhumvit, but I prefer the first one.

There are more Toyota dealers and service shops in Thailand than any other make, because they sell more, so wherever you go, you won't be far from help.

I once knew a Yank who was an engineer for Mazda in Japan, and he said he wouldn't drive any other make but Toyota, for reliability and value for money.

So there you go :o

It's depend how much you want spend (in Baht) BTW there is no problem with spareparts for Audi.

It's depend how much you want spend (in Baht) BTW there is no problem with spareparts for Audi.

Not sure how many Audi spare parts you would find if you broke down up - country.

I think the OP made it clear that he was looking for an economic deal.

Personally, I can see nothing but expense if he buys a 2nd hand Audi, (or BM's or Benz or any other up market car - the theory here is that if you can afford to buy an expensive car, you can afford the expensive spares and service)- but it's his choice.

Not sure how many Audi spare parts you would find if you broke down up - country.

I think the OP made it clear that he was looking for an economic deal.

Personally, I can see nothing but expense if he buys a 2nd hand Audi, (or BM's or Benz or any other up market car - the theory here is that if you can afford to buy an expensive car, you can afford the expensive spares and service)- but it's his choice.

I didn't say Audy spares are cheap. I said there are available and if you living in BKK or Pattaya is no problem. If somebody likes to drive in Isaan, than is not a good idea to buy a Audi. But i' myself never go to isaan. What i have to do there? If you go up country you should consider only a Japanese car, specially if you don't know about cars. If you know about cars, you can help your self. I was even with my American Sport Car in Ko Samui. so if i really need a part i can order in BKK and they could send it to me via Cargo (Bus or Air). Japanese used cars are expensive, unless you buy a 20 year old one. But most of peaple want a Jazz for 200'k and this isn't posibile. You still pay for a 95 corolla much over 200'k or if it's a Corona you'll almost 300'k. Is it worth? So there are other options to buy a Korean or a older European car. They are lower than half in the price, but a little bit higher in the spares. BTW a Audi A 4 you can't compare with a Soluna. Audi is a Upmarked Brand and, of corse spaeres are more expensive, even in germany.