Hdtv Purchase

bkkjames

Hi all:

Would like to pick your brains if I may. I am buying a new LCD this weekend for the house and quite honestly can't really see why I would go for the new HD models.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but HD is not available (nor likely to be anytime in the next decade) in Thailand. Therefore, with DVD's giving a resolution of somewhere around 550 lines square inch and UBC much lower than that, I am wrong in assuming the buying an HD LCD is overkill at this point.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

James

You are correct, only need to buy a HD if your gonna get HD content which you aint gonna get in thailand but maybe the DVD man might say that his DVD's are HD ha ha ..plus dont ya need a HD DVD player to play HD DVD's???

Thanks mate, I assumed as much. It's kind of funny when a salesperson goes to me "this one HD, much higher quality" and I reply, "You mean we have HD broadcasts now in Thailand, which channel?" and a blank look ensues.

Normally I would say to go with the HD television with as many HDMI inputs as possible, but broadcasts in Thailand are no where near HD ability. Unless you are going to play blue-ray videos, there is no reason.

HTH

Thanks, most have 2 HDMI inputs, I guess for Blue Ray? does anybody buy blue ray DVDs here?

You are correct, only need to buy a HD if your gonna get HD content which you aint gonna get in thailand but maybe the DVD man might say that his DVD's are HD ha ha ..plus dont ya need a HD DVD player to play HD DVD's???

Thanks mate, I assumed as much. It's kind of funny when a salesperson goes to me "this one HD, much higher quality" and I reply, "You mean we have HD broadcasts now in Thailand, which channel?" and a blank look ensues.

Yeah i do like to go into shops where i know a little about the product like mobiles or PC's and wait for the pitch then as 1 question about the features and see there face.

What's the alternative? 4:3 vacuum tube? Forget it.

You might want to skip on the full 1080 HD, but DVDs look a hundred times better on huge LCD screens.

Also you can download tons of stuff, all in widescreen format, that would look ten times better on LCD, you can dowload tons of 720p HD stuff that would be perfect for HDTV. Most of new movies and practically all new series are available in HD format to download these days.

I have 3 HDMI inputs on the Samsung I recently purchased. 1 for xbox, 1 for computer, 1 for BD player if I ever get one. Better to have extra inputs that too few in my opinion.

Much nicer watching movies, downloaded HDTV shows, and gaming on the 360 with a larger 16x9 screen. The tube equivalent to a 40" HDTV would be huge, HEAVY, and probably difficult to find at this point.

You might want to skip on the full 1080 HD, but DVDs look a hundred times better on huge LCD screens.

Also you can download tons of stuff, all in widescreen format, that would look ten times better on LCD, you can dowload tons of 720p HD stuff that would be perfect for HDTV. Most of new movies and practically all new series are available in HD format to download these days.

Thanks for the advice, and no I wasn't thinking of a tube job but just a normal LCD 42" versus a HD LCD.

Thanks for the advice, and no I wasn't thinking of a tube job but just a normal LCD 42" versus a HD LCD.

Well, in my personal experience, I don't see any difference between HDreadys and FULL HDs.

I have a full hd plasma( 1080p) and a HDready LCD TV(720p) and most of time I watch 1080p- hidef contents-on both of them, but I hardly

notice the differences. :o

J.C

HDready just means it doesn't have a built in tuner, meaning you need a tuner for OTA HD broadcasts which you won't get in Thailand, but it still has HD resolution.

I have not seen a 42" 4:3 LCD TV, so I think you are referring to an HDTV. 720 or 1080, they are both HD. I only choose to go with the 1080 model as it had more inputs, higher contrast, and likely a higher resale value as well and being easier to sell in the future.

HDready just means it doesn't have a built in tuner, meaning you need a tuner for OTA HD broadcasts which you won't get in Thailand, but it still has HD resolution.

I have not seen a 42" 4:3 LCD TV, so I think you are referring to an HDTV. 720 or 1080, they are both HD. I only choose to go with the 1080 model as it had more inputs, higher contrast, and likely a higher resale value as well and being easier to sell in the future.

Nowhere did I mention a 4:3 model, however in the settings of most LCD and Plasmas you can set this up but not sure who would want this as most are of the wide screen variety anyway. Not sure about 1080 models neccesarily having higher contrast and as far a resale value goes, LCD TVs are like computers, very poor resale value IMO.

Anyways, thanks all for the input.

Normal being what?

I think you were referring to 720 vs 1080, and they are both HD, all widescreen LCD's are HD.

As to the benefits of 1080 over 720, unless you're looking at 60"+ models, you won't notice a difference, though the inputs and contrast might be better on the "higher end" 1080 models as I mentioned before.

Cheers.

I have 3 HDMI inputs on the Samsung I recently purchased. 1 for xbox, 1 for computer, 1 for BD player if I ever get one. Better to have extra inputs that too few in my opinion.

Much nicer watching movies, downloaded HDTV shows, and gaming on the 360 with a larger 16x9 screen. The tube equivalent to a 40" HDTV would be huge, HEAVY, and probably difficult to find at this point.

Which series Samsung you bought and how many inches? Is it the series 5 40" one? How can you connect computer to it? Does it have resolution problems after connecting the PC? how's the computer picture on it and what resolution you get it on the LCD?

Your going to have to buy whatever is the flavor of the month for the Thai retailers.

At one time all that were available were flat screen plasma's, then they went for flat screen LCD's. Now even if you want a plasma you cannot find it. Trust me, you will not pay anything extra for the HD model and if you shop around you won't find a lot of difference in prices. The best you are going to do is MAYBE a free DVD player.

It is just like LCD computer monitors. Everywhere you go they have these 19 inch WIDE screens. If you don't want a wide screen you are going to pay a premium for a non-wide screen LCD computer monitor. Reason: The manufacturers are cranking out Wide screens.

Just go with a brand that you trust. TIT

LSM

Normal being what?

I think you were referring to 720 vs 1080, and they are both HD, all widescreen LCD's are HD.

As to the benefits of 1080 over 720, unless you're looking at 60"+ models, you won't notice a difference, though the inputs and contrast might be better on the "higher end" 1080 models as I mentioned before.

Cheers.

When I referred to HD, I meant HDTV capable of displaying High Definition Broadcasts in full HD. About all widescreen LCD's being HD, then why when I look at this brochure...http://www.homepro.co.th/images/power/thepower_200815.jpg, some models are full HD branded and other widescreens are not?

The 40 inch samsung on the right is widescreen yet is not branded HD.

cheers

If you have a receiver capable of HD, True/UBC already Broadcasts 1 channel in HD (1080i). Live Sports on RS100.

So there is a possibility that there will be more within the next decade.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but HD is not available (nor likely to be anytime in the next decade) in Thailand.

James

Edited by Lordfoul

Well, in my personal experience, I don't see any difference between HDreadys and FULL HDs.

I have a full hd plasma( 1080p) and a HDready LCD TV(720p) and most of time I watch 1080p- hidef contents-on both of them, but I hardly

J.C

There actually very few Full HD Plasma's around. If it supports 1080p it doesn't mean it's Full HD.

Only certified Full HD (mostly LCD) TVs/monitors support 1920 x 1080 .... Only these models are capable to display Full HD Full Screen Blue Rays.

Full HD Plasma's are only available in the high end. LCDs (like my Samsung 40M81) are Full HD but you can pick those up from 40-50K ...

before choosing a model, what will be your main use?

if it's to watch the thai tv from cable or from a sattelite tuner, don't go with a LCD at all, prefer a tube.

if you gonna play dvd and have an upscaling dvd player aswell as the wish to connect a computer or a gaming device then you should go for a 720p model BUT be sure to check on the manufacturer website the native resolution of the screen or you might lose a lot of quality due to the internal resizing.

this is basically what hd ready means, a HD signal can be inputed but will be resized to match the resolution of the screen.

J.C

There actually very few Full HD Plasma's around. If it supports 1080p it doesn't mean it's Full HD.

Only certified Full HD (mostly LCD) TVs/monitors support 1920 x 1080 .... Only these models are capable to display Full HD Full Screen Blue Rays.

Full HD Plasma's are only available in the high end. LCDs (like my Samsung 40M81) are Full HD but you can pick those up from 40-50K ...

I DO have a full HD plasma T.V(42") and a HD ready LCD.( I do understand what FULL HD means ) :D

J.C

For the sake of interest, what Full HD model Plasma do you own?

When I was shopping for my HDTV, I couldn't find any plasma's in Bangkok with that resolution. The highest was like 1368 x 1080 or so.

Furthermore, I bet if you compare a Full HD (Full screen) Blue Ray (1920 x 1080) with a 720p you will see a difference.

Edited by sniffdog

If ur gonna play Xbox Battlefield, the high the resolution, the bigger the screen - the better. I have been nailed by people i could not even see ( i have a pretty large TV ), they must have projected against a building or something !!!

For DVD's, not sure u need HD.....but then, ask the guys who know :o ( not me )

Which series Samsung you bought and how many inches? Is it the series 5 40" one? How can you connect computer to it? Does it have resolution problems after connecting the PC? how's the computer picture on it and what resolution you get it on the LCD?

It's the LA40A550 - 5 series 40". The newer models are the 650's, but cost twice as much and are too glossy for my tastes.

You can connect your PC via HDMI or VGA with a native 1920 x 1080 resolution. I've gotten to work fine at several resolutions. The picture looks great, crystal clear. Played Transformers in 1080 from PC and it looked as good as can be expected, and I only sit about 6 feet away.

It does take me a few tries to get the picture to go full screen (it usually crops a few inches off all the edges) but that seems to be a problem only I am having, so it's likely the HDMI implementation on my Acer 5920G, or the video card, or the drivers, or...

It only cost about 30% more than the 720 version, but was worth it to me for the extra inputs and higher contrast.

I do notice a sharper picture with 1080 content, amazingly sharp, but all of my HD content is downloaded so source material would obviously look better. It might be harder to tell 720 from 1080 with a blueray player.

It's the LA40A550 - 5 series 40". The newer models are the 650's, but cost twice as much and are too glossy for my tastes.

You can connect your PC via HDMI or VGA with a native 1920 x 1080 resolution. I've gotten to work fine at several resolutions. The picture looks great, crystal clear. Played Transformers in 1080 from PC and it looked as good as can be expected, and I only sit about 6 feet away.

It does take me a few tries to get the picture to go full screen (it usually crops a few inches off all the edges) but that seems to be a problem only I am having, so it's likely the HDMI implementation on my Acer 5920G, or the video card, or the drivers, or...

It only cost about 30% more than the 720 version, but was worth it to me for the extra inputs and higher contrast.

I do notice a sharper picture with 1080 content, amazingly sharp, but all of my HD content is downloaded so source material would obviously look better. It might be harder to tell 720 from 1080 with a blueray player.

Just a comment about the difference between a TV and a monitor... a tv has a tuner in it and as such, will be limited to country/region inputs... meaning in thailand a PAL tv tuner will not work if you end up bringing it back to USA....

We are moving next year and i wanted to have a "used" TV to clear customs, so i bought a nice 42" LCD 1080p monitor... it does not care if input is PAL or NTSC... just hook it up to whatever cable or satellite box you are using...

so i get to use it here and also take it there and have it work too....

For the sake of interest, what Full HD model Plasma do you own?

When I was shopping for my HDTV, I couldn't find any plasma's in Bangkok with that resolution. The highest was like 1368 x 1080 or so.

Furthermore, I bet if you compare a Full HD (Full screen) Blue Ray (1920 x 1080) with a 720p you will see a difference.

panasonic th42py800 :o

Yes, agreed, you'll see the difference if you really want to see the difference, but is it really worth sitting down right in front of 2 tv sets staring at them trying to find the difference? :D

Seriously, in my experience, it's not worth spending extra money for full HDs, unless you prefer sitting very close to the tv set, well maybe it's just me. :D

J.C

Ps: I have dozens of Blu-Ray contents and yeah, they look really nice.

I am looking at the exact model you have for 36990 baht, seems to be a pretty good deal.

I am looking at the exact model you have for 36990 baht, seems to be a pretty good deal.

Yes, that's a good deal. I paid 39,990 (VAT included) from Carrefour. Could have found it cheaper, just felt more comfortable buying from Carrefour incase of any issues.