Chiang Mai Airport Beseiged But Open And Operational

photojourn

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10.30pm.

The Prime minister has just given a speech on Thai TV.

He is playing things down at the moment.

He basically said "Sod the PAD, I'm staying as prime minister. We will do nothing it's up to them to go home".

Edited by sassienie

watching on TV the incident of clash between red shirts and yellow shirts, where eventually one PAD supporter was beaten to dead

very sad..... :o

havent found links online of this incident ...

missed the part in the TV news what time the incident took place.

can others confirm?

Might it be this story from http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/toc/ViewData...?DataID=1010826

might not be airport related:

FLASH NEWS: Pro-govt Supporters Kills Father of PAD Supporter

UPDATE : 26 November 2008

Members of the 'We Love Chiang Mai 51" group have shot and killed the father of a pro-PAD supporter in Chiang Mai Province.

Members of the red t-shirt protesters belonging to the pro-government 'We Love Chiang Mai' group have surrounded the Vihok radio in Chiang Mai Province. The group has attacked Setha Jiamkitwattana, father of Terdsak Jiamkitwattana, while they were on their way home. Setha was dragged from the car by the protesters. He was beaten and shot dead.

Terdsak tried to rescue his father but he was unable to do so. He also said the red t-shirt protesters prevented the ambulance from entering the scene of the crime.

Military units have been dispatched to the area. However they have been unable to reach the radio station, and therefore are only able to stand guard around the outer perimeter of the area.

It seems that CNN either has a different incident, or that they are getting their red and yellow confused.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/...port/index.html

watching on TV the incident of clash between red shirts and yellow shirts, where eventually one PAD supporter was beaten to dead

can others confirm?

You'll hardly find links to that "event"! If you compare the report about that killed old man, who was just a father of an PAD supporter with what some journalist was telling about the Police which were at the scene and didn't do anything for to keep that old man alive, that tells much enough.

As reported, not by ASTV or PAD supporters, that was a clear planned killing!

Cheers to the CM community!

10.30pm.

The Prime minister has just given a speech on Thai TV.

He is playing things down at the moment.

He basically said "Sod the PAD, I'm staying as prime minister. We will do nothing it's up to them to go home".

Covered here. please post in the relevant thread

can others confirm?

Might it be this story from http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/toc/ViewData...?DataID=1010826

Members of the 'We Love Chiang Mai 51" group have shot and killed the father of a pro-PAD supporter in Chiang Mai Province.

Members of the red t-shirt protesters belonging to the pro-government 'We Love Chiang Mai' group have surrounded the Vihok radio in Chiang Mai Province. The group has attacked Setha Jiamkitwattana, father of Terdsak Jiamkitwattana, while they were on their way home. Setha was dragged from the car by the protesters. He was beaten and shot dead.

Terdsak tried to rescue his father but he was unable to do so. He also said the red t-shirt protesters prevented the ambulance from entering the scene of the crime.

Military units have been dispatched to the area. However they have been unable to reach the radio station, and therefore are only able to stand guard around the outer perimeter of the area.

This is the essence of civil war,

kill the relatives of those you disagree with.

PAD may be much more agressive now,

but I don't recall any PAD killing anyone so far.

Certainly violent and certainly weapons, but...

Not even in group or gang battles.

But this RED thing is straight out murder of an relative of someone they didn't like.

People are killing PAD members face to face not just by stealth with grenades.

This is civil war, and no one is moving to stop it....

Somchai could but Thaksin won't let him,

and PAD's leaders fear leaving the henhouse door open

with the wolf on the prowl.

It will get worse soon.

Edited by animatic

The murder took place by a Yellow Shirt Man not by a red. http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/...port/index.html

What are you talking about?

CHIANG MAI, Nov 26 (TNA) - A group of government supporters attacked and killed the father of a member of the anti government People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) in the northern province of Chiang Mai late Wednesday.

http://enews.mcot.net/view.php?id=7459

The murder took place by a Yellow Shirt Man not by a red. http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/...port/index.html

What are you talking about?

CHIANG MAI, Nov 26 (TNA) - A group of government supporters attacked and killed the father of a member of the anti government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) in the northern province of Chiang Mai late Wednesday.

http://enews.mcot.net/view.php?id=7459

I was just quoting CNN :o To me its irrelevant who killed who. See my above post

CM reds have been prone to violence long before PAD started pushing the govt around in Bangkok.

They've even violently dispersed a legitimate Democrat rally back in 2006, beating people like former PM Chuan with chairs.

Not long ago they set checkpoints at the airport and in the city, hunting for PAD supporters flying in.

Today is their first blood though.

Way to go.

Who is that poster who mentioned "reds" and "restrained" in the same sentence? Ever since that attack on Prem's residence when 200 policemen were injured it was an extremely odd combination of words.

can others confirm?

This is the essence of civil war,

kill the relatives of those you disagree with.

PAD may be much more agressive now,

but I don't recall any PAD killing anyone so far.

Certainly violent and certainly weapons, but...

Not even in group or gang battles.

But this RED thing is straight out murder of an relative of someone they didn't like.

People are killing PAD members face to face not just by stealth with grenades.

This is civil war, and no one is moving to stop it....

Somchai could but Thaksin won't let him,

and PAD's leaders fear leaving the henhouse door open

with the wolf on the prowl.

It will get worse soon.

just in general not Thailand related:

every side is right and the good one

the other side is violent and we need to protect

for protection we need the same or better weapons

we need to teach them a lesson.

Civil war here we come.......

PAD: peacefull

Police: riot gear

PAD: self made riot gear

Police: chinese anti limb teargas

PAD: self made guns, 50 year old guns

Government M79 Grenades

LATEST UPDATE:

The Civil Court has issued an injunction against the protesters, ordering them to leave Bangkok airport.

Thailand's cabinet will hold an emergency meeting tomorrow to discuss "measures" against the protesters, Reuters says.

The only way out is for the army to take control and suspend democracy for 2 years to let feelings cool.

LATEST UPDATE:

The Civil Court has issued an injunction against the protesters, ordering them to leave Bangkok airport.

Thailand's cabinet will hold an emergency meeting tomorrow to discuss "measures" against the protesters, Reuters says.

The only way out is for the army to take control and suspend democracy for 2 years to let feelings cool.

Do you have a link for this?

The thing is how are can PAD be expected to listen to the courts when the government doesn't.

Sadly it looks more and more by the day as though a coup is the only answer.

I was in the group of restaurants next to the Airport Plaza as it started. The restaurant staff all panicked and shut up the restaurants and gathered up the chairs and tables and slammed the shutters close.

I had to drive down towards the airport to U-turn and traffic was bad but being directed by the police so still moving quiet well. Saw large crowds of mostly red shirts bunched around the airport entrance. Lots of flag waving but it seemed pretty peaceful. Didn't go any further or into the airport for obvious reasons.

Cars were parked up and down both sides of the road and as I came back the other way I saw pick up trucks full of people obviously joining in.

Central Airport Plaza had all there security guys nervously milling around at the entrance and a few Thais were hanging around at the front looking down the road.

I stayed in Airport Plaza until about 7 p.m. and you wouldn't have known there was anything going on inside and there was normal traffic on Hang Dong road as I left.

Anyway, my not very interesting on the spot reporting

I was in the group of restaurants next to the Airport Plaza as it started. The restaurant staff all panicked and shut up the restaurants and gathered up the chairs and tables and slammed the shutters close.

I had to drive down towards the airport to U-turn and traffic was bad but being directed by the police so still moving quiet well. Saw large crowds of mostly red shirts bunched around the airport entrance. Lots of flag waving but it seemed pretty peaceful. Didn't go any further or into the airport for obvious reasons.

Cars were parked up and down both sides of the road and as I came back the other way I saw pick up trucks full of people obviously joining in.

Central Airport Plaza had all there security guys nervously milling around at the entrance and a few Thais were hanging around at the front looking down the road.

I stayed in Airport Plaza until about 7 p.m. and you wouldn't have known there was anything going on inside and there was normal traffic on Hang Dong road as I left.

Anyway, my not very interesting on the spot reporting

No, thanks for that. And for, at least inadvertently, pointing out that if 'News' isn't spiced, or that awful new word brought in during the invasion of Iraq, 'sexed' up, it's not 'News'. Please everyone, let's keep up the perspective.

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews...126-103657.html

>CHIANG MAI, THAILAND - A gang of government supporters in the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai shot dead an anti-government activist on Wednesday, police said, as a political crisis threatened to explode into civil unrest.

The gang dragged the victim, a man in his 50s whose son ran a small anti-government radio station, from his car before shooting him, police lieutenant-colonel Atipol Thongdaeng told Reuters.

I believe this is the Vihok Radio, which is based in Ramingnivet (Tippanet area). That conflict has been going on for months based on the Red/yellow divide. The Vihok radio station and the "We love CM" are the centres of each group respectively and baiting each other continually. Today tempers obviously reached boiling point. Both headquarters have received minor bomb/fire attacks previously.

Um... due to fly into bangkok tomorrow from Chiang Mai.. Anybody know a way to find out if the airports are back in business? Or if there are any flights?? I am flying Air Asia and have been trying to get through their Malaysian hotline number for ages with no luck. Was at the airport at CM asking them today and all they could tell me was call Bangkok...

Not much help when you consider there are many others having the same problems as myself.

Dont think I would want to return to the airport again if this is still happening...

Frankly, I think that both the PPP leaders and the PAD leaders, the Police officials and Army should be held responsible for what is going on. Inncaction from their end is as good as they pulling the trigger!

Agreed. This is all very sad. :o I don't think we'll see civil war but it looks like more bloodshed on the way.....totally useless and solves absolutely nothing.

Forget trying to get to BKK ...

The PAD has closed down Don Muang airport completely in its efforts to prevent Cabinet ministers from flying to Chiang Rai to attend the Cabinet meeting.

Thai Airways International has cancelled all flights.

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews...126-103657.html

>CHIANG MAI, THAILAND - A gang of government supporters in the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai shot dead an anti-government activist on Wednesday, police said, as a political crisis threatened to explode into civil unrest.

The gang dragged the victim, a man in his 50s whose son ran a small anti-government radio station, from his car before shooting him, police lieutenant-colonel Atipol Thongdaeng told Reuters.

I believe this is the Vihok Radio, which is based in Ramingnivet (Tippanet area). That conflict has been going on for months based on the Red/yellow divide. The Vihok radio station and the "We love CM" are the centres of each group respectively and baiting each other continually. Today tempers obviously reached boiling point. Both headquarters have received minor bomb/fire attacks previously.

Thanks for the background info . Helps put things into a clearer perspective.

So is the airport completely closed then? The mods seem like the army today they warn people to stay on topic but don't enforce anything. Please give vacations to people that don't honor requests to stay on topic. Are there any flights going into or out of CM? I realize none to BKK but what about to Phuket, Singapore and other locations?

So is the airport completely closed then? The mods seem like the army today they warn people to stay on topic but don't enforce anything. Please give vacations to people that don't honor requests to stay on topic. Are there any flights going into or out of CM? I realize none to BKK but what about to Phuket, Singapore and other locations?

I personally recommend NOK Airfield and a Cessna 172, if you like flying. Otherwise run, run, run :o

[britain has annouced that it will be sending planes to fly Brits out of Bangkok airport back to Britain.

How's that gonna work exactly with the airport closed? /quote]

Err there is such a thing as military airports if needed. If the UK is sending planes there will already be a plan out.

It would nice if this thread could be kept on topic for those of us who really need to find out whether the aiport in Chiang Mai is open or closed.

I'm due to get a flight from Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son in a few hours. I've just spoken to Reception at the hotel and they seem to think the airport is up and running. I will report back with any news I hear.