Phuket Airport Status

lalana

I'm on Korea Air from LAX > Seoul > Phuket on 30/11

Is the post about PAD members going to close the HKT airport true?

?a? :o

There is absolutely no indication that the Phuket airport will be closed or disrupted. In fact I don't see a post which even remotely says that.

Edited by típ-yá-jàk-sòo yaan

Two prominent PAD locals have told my colleague that they have been ordered to join protests in Bangkok. So it seems (we hope) no PAD plans to hit the airport in Phuket.

Don't think it's necessary at this point, do you? They've already hit the jugular, big-time.

I think the Phuket airport blockade in August was probably a practice run for the big event.

Thai International used to operate Boeing 777's from Bangkok to Phuket.

Phuket can handle incoming Boeing 747's, but, 747's that are fully fueled with a full compliment of passangers cannot take off as the runway is not long enough.

Phukets Runway is 3km long, a 747/400 is 1.8km not fully fueled will make it easy for take off and landing. A fully loaded 747/400 requires 3048m of runway.

The MTOW is 910k from 3048m at sea level/standard day.

The MTOW is about 712k from 1800m of runway at sea level/standard day.

Pretty amazing what they can do

SAA 747 landing in Rand, South Africa. The runways there are only 4900 and 5600 feet by 50 wide.

Interesting stats. Thai used to fly direct from HKT (VTSP) to MEL (YMML) using MD11s and then B77-300ERs (both c. 3k T/O at MTOW - similar stats to B747s) and I believe that there remain direct flights from as far as western Europe. Flight-fuelled, long haul T/Os must be a bit dodgy with decent x winds.

I just heard on the BBC that PAD is now allowing the empty Thai air planes to fly out of BKK airports so that they can be used to pick up stranded passengers from other airports. I guess that will mean many extra flights from Phuket in the next day or so -

Simon

just to share - when I left from Phuket airport late Friday night, the airport was indeed operational, but also very very busy

(not sure if thats the norm, but it was packed in every direction)

so Id imagine it would be even more so now, with airlines looking at options to airlift /add flights out of alternative airports in Thailand. if you have a flight, get there early :o

Phuket can handle incoming Boeing 747's, but, 747's that are fully fueled with a full compliment of passangers cannot take off as the runway is not long enough.

Phukets Runway is 3km long, a 747/400 is 1.8km not fully fueled will make it easy for take off and landing. A fully loaded 747/400 requires 3048m of runway.

SAA 747 landing in Rand, South Africa. The runways there are only 4900 and 5600 feet by 50 wide.

Interesting stats. Thai used to fly direct from HKT (VTSP) to MEL (YMML) using MD11s and then B77-300ERs (both c. 3k T/O at MTOW - similar stats to B747s) and I believe that there remain direct flights from as far as western Europe. Flight-fuelled, long haul T/Os must be a bit dodgy with decent x winds.

Incorrect. All flights from Aussie landed in Phuket, went on to Bangkok, then headed back to Australia without going back to Phuket.

This is because the runway is too short to allow a fully loaded, fully fueled long haul plane to take off.

Incorrect. All flights from Aussie landed in Phuket, went on to Bangkok, then headed back to Australia without going back to Phuket.

This is because the runway is too short to allow a fully loaded, fully fueled long haul plane to take off.

You are quite right. MEL - HKT direct, but return was via Bangkok. Thanks for the correction - I had forgotten that important liitle detail.