Army Chief Urged To Stage Coup

george

Would you support a coup?  

949 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

tonight is Thursday night, tomorrow is Friday, Friday mean there are no work for the next two day, more people will come out.

It would make sense to do it before weekend re-enforcments make the potential bloodbath bigger.

One problem; the Airforce and Navy need to arm up for the specific job,

being unprepared for the task, that will take time.

Do you not understand what a 'coup' would do for Thailand.

Your economy what little of it the zombie yellow shirts have not yet destroyed, will nose dive...remember in 1997 when the IMF had to bail out Thailand and the effect that that had on jobs, family, stability, people's dreams...do you not remember that or were you too young to truly understand the troubles every ordinary Thai family was facing and the hardship they endured...have you already forgotten...A coup would not solve anything..it will be like put a light to spilled petrol and that's exactly what the elite families want...becasue the only people that will win with a coup are the dictators, the rest of Thailand will be shackled to their whims

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They seem to think that the democratically elected government is just another sphere of Thaksin's influence. They (PAD) and their friends prefer and are in favour of military coups, hence increasing the power of unelected bureaucrats and the army. They also accuse Khun Somchai's government of being anti-royalist - which is bowlecks.

As you say, they just don't like losing elections.

Now i've heard this a few times today yet nobody can explain how PAD can loose an election it has NEVER participated in. Anyone.....anyone?

There seems to be a mis-understanding by some of my fellow Falangs!

The PAD never stood against the PPP at the elections -- they are a group of non-elected people, rounded up by a small group of Ex- Friends of Thaksin, that disagree with the PPP being in charge!!!

their reasons are:-

1) They think the PPP is being manipulated by Thaksin.

2) They think the PPP is being manipulated by Thaksin.

3) They think the PPP is being manipulated by Thaksin.

The PAD is not a political party - they are protesters, although they are being supported by some influential people and organisations. They claim (maybe correctly) to represent the middle and influential classes of Thailand

They do at this time seem to form the main opposition to the PPP.

Then there is the other group (the Red shirts) (the UDD) that are Pro Government/PPP.

This group is made up of Retired Police, Army and Civil Services, and a whole host of North/NorthEasterners

It seems that their viewpoint is - that what the PAD is doing is wrong! The Army/Police are doing nothing - so they are showing solidarity with the goverment by opposing the protesters.

It Must also be added that this group is Pro-Thaksin

Albymush

I chose not to vote. Actually, I don't see the necessity of a poll for "backing" a coup, as it is not the kind of subject that comes up for debate in any civilized democratic (in the real English meaning of the word) society.

Interesting if we could see a break up of the results by voters' nationality (thai vs. non-thai)

I doubt they clear the airport any time soon.

Does anyone here think the army or police will do this?

Meltdown continues

I think they will, possibly around 2am or 3am, when most of the PAD are sleeping.

what you think they are going to surprise them?

amarka :o

I think the Thai airport authorities will get them out, as the airlines will start to seek compensation from the Thai airport authorities for contravention of contract and loss of revenue...I read the yellow zombie lawyers will appeal !!! but appeal on what basis...they have trespassed private land...they are appealing not to be thrown out...that'll be interesting becasue if they manage it...then every person in the land can then trespass into which ever land, house they like, squat there for as long as they want and not get thrown out, based on precedent set via the yellow shirt zombies who managed to stay put via some jurisdiction...... I don't think so. the repurcussions for a precendent set is too too dangerous

I doubt they clear the airport any time soon.

Does anyone here think the army or police will do this?

Meltdown continues

As some others have speculated. You can make a case that the military allowed the protestors to waltz in & take over the airport.

If that's the case the military will not eject them.

I think the Thai airport authorities will get them out, as the airlines will start to seek compensation from the Thai airport authorities for contravention of contract and loss of revenue...I read the yellow zombie lawyers will appeal !!! but appeal on what basis...they have trespassed private land...they are appealing not to be thrown out...that'll be interesting becasue if they manage it...then every person in the land can then trespass into which ever land, house they like, squat there for as long as they want and not get thrown out, based on precedent set via the yellow shirt zombies who managed to stay put via some jurisdiction...... I don't think so. the repurcussions for a precendent set is too too dangerous

I assume you are completely unaware that the courts decided in the PAD's appeal to stay at Gov't house after being ordered out!

I forgot about that JD, my misses told me at about 5 P.M. that the injunction had gone to appeal and so they are legally allowed to remain, or something like that.

I am surprised that it has not been mentioned here more often

Where does this now leave the government/police in terms of a crackdown? Does the SOE give the courts the right to crackdown despite what the courts say?

Don't get me wrong, the PAD should be evicted from the airports but the government have to play it by their own book.

Is this the judiciary lending a hand to the coup? I suspect that the engines are still running on the tanks.

I am completely surprised that so many seem to favor a coup!!!

It should not require a coup for the police and army to do their job and maintain the peace. Their job is to maintain the peace, not take out the government. There has even been a court order for PAD to leave the airport, just go and enforce it.

People should also start suing the PAD leaders for damages caused for the disruptions to businesses, the estimated quote I heard on the radio was around 1 billion baht a day. I wonder if they would be willing to foot that bill.

This is just getting ridiculous...

Edited by CWMcMurray

The PPP got elected because they payed their way to the top with Thaksin's money.

Thailand may be a semi-feudal society where bribery is still an accepted norm. But both factions are associated with people who have a record of corruption. If you think that the last election was solely won on bought votes then you do both the facts and the Thai people who elected Thaksin and then PPP a gross disservice. If you think that the 1ml baht scheme wasn't popular in taking power away from the local mafia; or that the 30 baht health scheme wasn't also popular then, to be honest, you have an ill-informed understanding of the dynamics at play in Thai society.

Maybe you think that, like PAD, that khon Thai are just too stupid and backward to handle democracy ? I rather believe that the record of TRT ,i.e that the poor must not be left out and their record of the real pro-poor policies that I've mentioned was a greater factor in determining the election victory of PPP. Yes, democracy in Thailand has a long way to yet to go. But if anyone wants to dump it in canals of Bangkok in favour of military junters and Pipop Thongchai' nihilistic philosophy that to create enough political chaos so that institutions and parties are destroyed and a “new order” arises from the ashes, then they need to study history more closely. Holding a nation to ransom by a miniscule number of people (however rich and powerful their backing) is more reminiscent of implementing Pol Pot's "year zero" than actually wishing well on Thailand and its people.

Edited by chutai

I am completely surprised that so many seem to favor a coup!!!

It should not require a coup for the police and army to do their job and maintain the peace. Their job is to maintain the peace, not take out the government. There has even been a court order for PAD to leave the airport, just go and enforce it.

People should also start suing the PAD leaders for damages caused for the disruptions to businesses, the estimated quote I heard on the radio was around 1 billion baht a day. I wonder if they would be willing to foot that bill.

This is just getting ridiculous...

It requires a rethink from an elite that thought they could dress in yellow, present everybody else as traitors (including at one stage the Army!) throw Lese Majesty suits at honest journalists and academics that disagreed with them and have their "appointed" judge friends do the rest. Remember Jonathan Head for gods sake,

Unfortunatly for the regressive PAD, the New politic will be a new order and this generation want no truck with the oppresive business elite that have screwed them (literally making them probide girls for bars etc.) down the centurys.

Wait for the list of Business backers. It is being used to get them to withdraw support from the PAD at the moment. These business Backers are terrified of the publicity. It will come out though it will come out.

Start off loading shares in any company you think is backing them. Start watching selling of Bank Stock etc. this week as the Elite offload their shares in businesses that are going to suffer for this outragous act of sponsoring Fascist groups.

Edited by grandpops

The PPP got elected because they payed their way to the top with Thaksin's money.

Thailand may be a semi-feudal society where bribery is still an accepted norm. But both factions are associated with people who have a record of corruption. If you think that the last election was solely won on bought votes then you do both the facts and the Thai people who elected Thaksin and then PPP a gross disservice. If you think that the 1ml baht scheme wasn't popular in taking power away from the local mafia; or that the 30 baht health scheme wasn't also popular then, to be honest, you have an ill-informed understanding of the dynamics at play in Thai society.

Maybe you think that, like PAD, that khon Thai are just to stupid to handle democracy ? I rather believe that the record of TRT ,i.e that the poor must not be left out and their record of the real pro-poor policies that I've mentioned was a greater factor in determining the election victory of PPP. Yes, democracy in Thailand has a long way to yet to go. But if anyone wants to dump it in canals of Bangkok in favour of military junters and Pipop Thongchai' nihilistic philosophy that to create enough political chaos so that institutions and parties are destroyed and a “new order” arises from the ashes, then they need to study history more closely. Holding a nation to ransom by a miniscule number of people (however rich and powerful their backing) is more reminiscent of implementing Pol Pot's "year zero" than actually wishing well on Thailand and its people.

Chu --- the million baht scheme has caused REAL problems

the 30 baht scheme isn't Thaksin's etc etc

Maybe you think that, like PAD, that khon Thai are just to stupid to handle democracy ? I rather believe that the record of TRT ,i.e that the poor must not be left out and their record of the real pro-poor policies that I've mentioned was a greater factor in determining the election victory of PPP. Yes, democracy in Thailand has a long way to yet to go. But if anyone wants to dump it in canals of Bangkok in favour of military junters and Pipop Thongchai' nihilistic philosophy that to create enough political chaos so that institutions and parties are destroyed and a “new order” arises from the ashes, then they need to study history more closely. Holding a nation to ransom by a miniscule number of people (however rich and powerful their backing) is more reminiscent of implementing Pol Pot's "year zero" than actually wishing well on Thailand and its people.

Chu --- the million baht scheme has caused REAL problems

the 30 baht scheme isn't Thaksin's etc etc

Greater problems than being in debt to the local mafia ? I think not. Any problems associated with the community 1ml, baht scheme has more to do with sociological/consumerist/adveritising reasons than anything else. I have my views on this formulated from looking at aspects that influence the attitudes amongst the poor and indeed are prevalent Thai society generally.

But excuse me if I haven't a clue what you mean by "etc,etc", but the health scheme was first introduced when TRT was in government.

Edited by chutai

the stage was set when the PPP made Taksins brother in law the PM, what did they think would happen?

They thought it would solidify their position which it did.

Keep them popular with their people which it did.

Antagonise the Fascist PAD and make them show their hand which it did.

railroad the Army to make a Coup or butt out which it did.

Put the Elite Business community on the back foot which it did.

Bring about real and lasting change to Thai politics.. which it will.

They don't need to make any concessions to an idiot minority, nor should they. You are crazy to believe the PPP want or need to appease these cretins.

It was bold and brazen and has sown the seeds for real change in this country. People now cannot just let things be, they have to come out and be counted. The PAD were not alone in wanting change. The PPP want change from their tired feudal system and centurys of oppresion.

Smart move I say and Somchai has done it well. And if Thaksin is behind it so what, they owe the PAD and their sheep no explanations for anything and as such have given them none.

Edited by grandpops

the stage was set when the PPP made Taksins brother in law the PM, what did they think would happen?

They don't need to make any concessions to an idiot minority, nor should they. You are crazy to believe the PPP want or need to appease these cretins.

It was bold and brazen and has sown the seeds for real change in this country. People now cannot just let things be, they have to come out and be counted. The PAD were not alone in wanting change. The PPP want change from their tired feudal system and centurys of oppresion.

Smart move I say and Somchai has done it well. And if Thaksin is behind it so what, they owe the PAD and their sheep no explanations for anything and as such have given them none.

And it will end in tears...

Greater problems than being in debt to the local mafia ? I think not. Any problems associated with the community 1ml, baht scheme has more to do with sociological/consumerist/adveritising reasons than anything else. I have my views on this formulated from looking at aspects that influence the attitudes amongst the poor and indeed are prevalent Thai society generally.

But excuse me if I haven't a clue what you mean by "etc,etc", but the health scheme was first introduced when TRT was in government.

the 30 baht health scheme was in the works BEFORE the TRT came into power ... they just lucked out in timing. It was introduced before TRT and started during Thaksin's first term. Worse than the Mafia? is losing your land to one person worse than to another? At least when borrowing from the mafia people knew that it really would result in them having to repay instead of dreaming of more cash from Thaksin. How many times did we see them coming into BKK asking for the debts to be forgiven?

(The basic concept was not bad at all! How it worked out just put too much $$ in the wrong places including in the kanman's hands (and often the same people you are complaining about)

I can see their decision antagonised PAD resulting in the airport being closed and whatever happens next but I havent noticed that they have done anything yet, perhaps I missed it, but apart from attempting to make a start at changing the constitution and allowing Taksin to make a public appeal what have they actually done?

I can see their decision antagonised PAD resulting in the airport being closed and whatever happens next but I havent noticed that they have done anything yet, perhaps I missed it, but apart from attempting to make a start at changing the constitution and allowing Taksin to make a public appeal what have they actually done?

Totally outsmarted and outwitted PAD and the Army. The Army didn't help PAD with their coup because they were cleverly boxed in by the Government AND secondly because they are a Fascist mob in a blind rage and have been accepted as such by almost the entire world.

PAD are the villains this time and little Somchai is coming to the rescue.

And if you could reciprocate with a list of PAD achievements this week please!

Coup No

Army takes out government NO

Thaksin in Jail NO

Embarrassed country and made it laughing stock YES

Embarrased HM by dragging his good name and reputation into their sleazy vendetta against Thaksin YES

Lost the support of their business backers and banks who are well on the run now YES

Lost the country billions of DOLLARS YES

Screwed the High season YES

Brainwashed a few thousand morons into supporting their cause YES

Sorry got to go for a fag. More later

Totally outsmarted and outwitted PAD and the Army. The Army didn't help PAD with their coup because they were cleverly boxed in by the Government AND secondly because they are a Fascist mob in a blind rage and have been accepted as such by almost the entire world.

Coup No

Thaksin in Jail NO

Embarrased HM by dragging his good name and reputation into their sleazy vendetta against Thaksin YES

Lost the support of their business backers and banks who are well on the run now YES

so their only accomplishment is that they outwitted PAD, thats kind of debatable considering PAD are occupying the airport as we speak but what I was meaning is what have they done to improve the lot of the average Thai?

All of you who are in favor of a coup should be ashamed. You are probably from democratic countries. This is a democratically elected government. I do not like Taksin and the fact that his brother-in-law is the present leader but hw was DEMOCRATICALLY placed in office.

I am sick of PAD. The army should assist Somchai in controlling them.

I want the list of the Pathetic Adult Disorder backers...I want to see who is funding these idiots that are ruining Thailand

I want the list, I bet you there will be Privy councillors, ex and current military leaders, Media Tycoons...and possible a Fund Mgr or two who are holding a short stake on one or two companies or the SET

I want to see the list....

Coup No

Thaksin in Jail NO

so their only accomplishment is that they outwitted PAD, thats kind of debatable considering PAD are occupying the airport as we speak but what I was meaning is what have they done to improve the lot of the average Thai?

Not very good at this are you? You remind me of the Life of Brian sketch "apart from the roads, the law and order, the clean water etc. etc. WHAT have the romans ever done for us"

Better to think first, think again, write, read then post. not bad effort but not good enough for any more replies from me.

Bye

I want the list of the Pathetic Adult Disorder backers...I want to see who is funding these idiots that are ruining Thailand

I want the list, I bet you there will be Privy councillors, ex and current military leaders, Media Tycoons...and possible a Fund Mgr or two who are holding a short stake on one or two companies or the SET

A look at the stock movements may help tomorrow as the "educated Business Elite" will start selling off the stocks whilst they are still worth something.

Find that link to the article from Jiles P Ungathon of somebody at a University. They are investigating the same thing.

The good thing is that its really the beginning of the end for this high end mob. They have shown their hand and been outed for the elitist fascist snobs they are. No going back for them this time, no Mai pen Rai and a quick bung. They are on their way!

Edited by grandpops

The PPP have a right to change the constitution..back to the 1997 one which was democratically agreed and chosen by the Thai people. The military coup makers, changed that democratically chosen constitution of 1997 and in 2007 whilst they had placed most of Thailand under curfew, they changed the 1997 constitution to suit their needs and ensure that any post coup discoveries could not send them to jail....

YES the constituion should be changed...BACK to what is was and in working order for 10yrs till they came along and screwed it up

Not very good at this are you? You remind me of the Life of Brian sketch "apart from the roads, the law and order, the clean water etc. etc. WHAT have the romans ever done for us"

Better to think first, think again, write, read then post. not bad effort but not good enough for any more replies from me.

Bye

dont worry too much if you cant answer the question, I cant either

The PPP have a right to change the constitution..back to the 1997 one which was democratically agreed and chosen by the Thai people. The military coup makers, changed that democratically chosen constitution of 1997 and in 2007 whilst they had placed most of Thailand under curfew, they changed the 1997 constitution to suit their needs and ensure that any post coup discoveries could not send them to jail....

YES the constituion should be changed...BACK to what is was and in working order for 10yrs till they came along and screwed it up

I dont disagree, but arent there other more pressing issues facing Thailand at the moment that they should be working on?

A look at the stock movements may help tomorrow as the "educated Business Elite" will start selling off the stocks whilst they are still worth something.

Find that link to the article from Jiles P Ungathon of somebody at a University. They are investigating the same thing.

The good thing is that its really the beginning of the end for this high end mob. They have shown their hand and been outed for the elitist fascist snobs they are. No going back for them this time, no Mai pen Rai and a quick bung. They are on their way!

It will be interesting to watch that index

And on a post earlier - court is considering the appeal regarding illegal siege of Suvarnabhumi airport and whether this now means that police is not allowed to kick them out - I believe in State of emergency all people's rights are terminated, hence police has every right to storm the airport.
except that its been said violence isnt an acceptable way of solving this, it would be a blatent insult to do so, one that Somchai has already made and should have resigned over, or still could

That is debatable as the changes PPP is trying to pass are basically preventing parties found of vote buying to be dissolved (to protect themselves in the next election) and protecting their big brother Thaksin's interests. Had PPP not been so passionate about trying to amend the constitution there would not be PAD destroying the country right now.

This is not excusing PAD's actions one tiny little bit though. What they have done is inexcusable. I did support their protest against the government's attempts to amend constitution. But it all ended when they stormed the airport. Now all the sympathy for then is gone.

Pity, really. Their leaders will hide, the followers will take the beating.

And on a post earlier - court is considering the appeal regarding illegal siege of Suvarnabhumi airport and whether this now means that police is not allowed to kick them out - I believe in State of emergency all people's rights are terminated, hence police has every right to storm the airport.

But with so many of their friends and family there, we're yet to see if this materializes. We might be having a deja-vu a week or two from now.

Truly sad for all those people working in hospitality and transportation sector. They were beaten enough by the world's financial crisis. They did not deserve this.

While I also feel sorry for those working in the hospitality, tourisim and transportation sectors, that is just the tip of the iceberg as far as fallout goes from this debacle! The markets and foriegn investment of all types, from infrastructure to realestate to commerce will be stifled for years to come as a result of this. Perhaps Thailand came too far to fast? After all Thailand was in abject third world circumstances just 50 years ago, right before the U.S. came in and built the military bases and improved the infrastructure across the country, then there was masive Jappanese investment followed by Massive Korean and Chinese investment that lifted the country to the lofty economic staus it recently has enjoyed in the region! Perhaps its time for foriegn investment to go elsewhere and let Thailand realize what they have lost, then if they are fortunate enough to once again regain the worlds trust perhaps they will be given a second chance, and maybe the next time they will have matured enough as a nation to deserve it?