State Of Emergency Declared

george

Protesters at three rally grounds _ Don Muang, Suvarnabhumi and Government House _ were also advised to take off their yellow shirts and put on ones with different colours if they were to leave the areas.

The Nation.

Hi grandpops,

just what colours would they be then? :o

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shame,

I used to respect this forum as one of the better Thai, expat forums, but like the good old internet, it seems to show a large number of people without a clue.

Cya and have fun running around in circles chasing your own tails.

I don't think you should be the person throwing around accusations like that seeming as you're loyties are very anti-PAD. If you have proof then show it. I don't like nonsensical claims.

PAD supporters have been at my Soi's market all evening offering up to 700 Baht a day for anyone coming to protest at the airport. And they have pick-up trucks waiting to be loaded with people before they drive off. They offered it to my wife and her friend while I was standing besides them. Proof enough? Come see it for yourself if you're still ignorant.

Can you please provide a weblink to your proof.

A weblink? Did you read my post before asking this?

No, I don't have a weblink. Because it's not on the internet, it's happening in my Soi's market, as I already wrote. I don't need to prove anything to anyone. I know what I see and hear and I write it. Believe it or don't, that's up to you.

You don't have to prove a thing to anyone, as I know what you are saying is perfectly true. The "guards" and demonstrators are being paid to strike and always have been. What Thai in their right mind wants an end to democracy and freedom with PAD's idiotic new politics?

You don't know any PAD supporters do you? PAD supporters are passionate about their cause and have been whipped up into a state of frenzy not least by the 24 hour radio stations and TV channels that have been used as their main tool for communicating to those at home. In all major towns (in the south at least) there is a well organized PAD group providing screenings of the events in Bangkok and transport to Bangkok. There are also DVDs of all the events in Bangkok being distributed all the time which are completely biased towards the group and show alleged police and government brutalities. The thing stopping many PAD supporters going up is work - they are not paid to be there. If they were there would be more there. Sure the length of time has put a few initial supporters but the key belief in the rightness of their actions still remains.

I am not a PAD supporter but to call them idiotic is to not fully understand both the situation and the cult of ideology that has arisen around them. They believe they have big guns and they are sticking to them.

Don't just put this down to money talking. I am not denying the very well organised leadership is probably getting desperate to swell numbers at the airport by offering bribes, but for the true supporters it is about more than money and that makes it all the more worrying.

Shame,

I used to respect this forum as one of the better Thai, expat forums, but like the good old internet, it seems to show a large number of people without a clue.

good lord. you're silly for thinking the internet is something to replace your otherwise logical life. it's the internet, not the fuc_king rhodes scholar weekly meeting! you expect too much...

Bubba --- fewer numbers? Have you noticed that the PAD is no longer centralized at just GH?

BTW --- I am not saying NOBODY associated with the PAD is paid. The private guards of the bosses are for certain! The ASTV staff are for sure! .... the average protester? No.

It doesn't surprise me to see people on here that have always been Thaksinistas claiming that they were approached to be paid ... but face it. It just is not getting any press in any Thai media source.

I'm very selfish tonight.

I just want to be able to go home and see my family!!!

I'm fed up being stuck in Tokyo.

Did you think of catching a plane into penang (if that's possible) and taking the train in? I can't think of any other way of getting into the country right now, but something like that would probably of got you in quicker.

Bubba --- fewer numbers? Have you noticed that the PAD is no longer centralized at just GH?

BTW --- I am not saying NOBODY associated with the PAD is paid. The private guards of the bosses are for certain! The ASTV staff are for sure! .... the average protester? No.

It doesn't surprise me to see people on here that have always been Thaksinistas claiming that they were approached to be paid ... but face it. It just is not getting any press in any Thai media source.

Yes I noticed that. What I meant was that there are many fewer people adorning themselves in yellow apparel.

NI was just watching and noting some slightly anti-American, anti-farang statements....

If you didn't get the link earlier:

http://www.astv-tv.com/

Click on one of the live links.

State of emergency declared

Chalerm confirms state of emergency to be announced over 2 airports

BANGKOK: -- Public Health Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung confirmed that the Cabinet resolved to declare state of emergency over the Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports.

Speaking to reporters via a teleconference at 5:50 pm that the government would declare state of emergency for Suvarnahbumi and Don Mueang airports and would assign police to handle the situation.

He said the Metropolitan Police chief would be in charge of situation at the Don Mueang and the commissioner of the Provincial Police Bureau 1 at the Suvarnabhumi.

-- The Nation 2008-11-27

30 emergency medical teams prepared for police's operation to clear airports: Chalerm

BANGKOK: -- Public Health Minister Chalerm Yoombamrung said he instructed the permanent secretary for Public Health to prepare 30 emergency medical teams in the aftermath of expected police's crackdown on protesters.

He said police would try to negotiate with protesters first.

"But if the negotiations fail, let's keep our fingers crossed," Chalerm said.

"I want the negotiations to be successful because I don't want to see bloodshed."

-- The Nation 2008-11-27

Suvarnabhumi Airport remains closed until Nov 29

BANGKOK: -- Suvarnabhumi Airport will remain closed until 6pm of November 29, according to Airports of Thailand Acting President Serirat Prasutanond.

Serirat also added that Don Mueang Airport would be shut down until 6pm of Friday, November 28.

He said on Thursday that he has sought an injuction for the court's protection of Don Mueang Airport.

-- The Nation 2008-11-27

PAD tells protesters to remain calm

BANGKOK: -- Leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy told protesters to remain calm although the Cabinet resolved to declare state of emergency over the Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi International airports.

They told the crowd not to panic and follow instructions of the leaders.

-- The Nation 2008-11-27

STATE OF EMERGENCY

BANGKOK: -- The government has declared a state of emergency around the two occupied Bangkok airports and police have been ordered to clear out PAD protesters so flights can resume.

LATE NEWS: Authorities have officially declared Suvarnabhumi airport closed until Saturday at 6pm at the earliest.

Agriculture Minister Somsak Prisananantakul told reporters the special Cabinet meeting held in Chiang Mai declared emergency laws will apply in and around both the closed Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports.

Meanwhile, growing numbers of tourists, business executives and government officials are stranded by the severed transportation links between Thailand and the rest of the world. Foreign Minister Sompong Amornwiwat was reported stranded in Germany where he was on a private visit on Thursday.

Some flights have continued through provincial airports but the main bulk of the 75 flights per hour through Suvarnabhumi have been cancelled.

The emergency decree orders the police to restore order and gives the military the right to help to "restore order, allow the suspension of civil liberties, ban public gatherings of more than five people and bar the media from reporting news that causes panic."

The military thus can clear out and reopen both airports, which were attacked, occupied and closed by the People's Alliance for Democracy on Tuesday night and Wednesday respectively.

Caution

It should be remembered we have been here before, and a state of emergency has no guarantee of results.

Ex-premier Samak Sundaravej declared a state of emergency last Sept 2 after early morning clashes between pro-government protesters and PAD backers in Bangkok. Police and the army refused to act, and Mr Somchai eventually lifted the state of emergency when he took office.

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat presided over Thursday's special cabinet meeting in his home town, Chiang Mai. PAD protesters have also seized and occupied both Government House and a backup government headquarters at Don Mueang in Bangkok.

If there is bloodshed when the police try to clear out the airports, the military might have to step in. That could mean a de facto coup, even though the Royal Thai Army does not want to take power.

"The government is in a corner," said Panitan Wattanayagorn, a political scientist at Chulalongkorn University. "If the police cannot do a clean job (of clearin the airports), I’m quite certain they will step in."

Army chief Gen Anupong Paojinda has refused to use his forces against protesters, but also has only "suggested" the government step down. Both Mr Somchai and PAD leaders have effectively ignored the increasinly ineffective army commander.

If the army is forced to take over, Gen Anupong will start from a position of weakness, with respect from neither of the two sides in the conflict and seen as weak and vacillating by the majority who have favoured neither the government nor the PAD.

The emergency decree was reportedly backed in advance by some 200 members of the coalition government, who urged the embattled premier to "exercise stringent legal measures" against the protesters at the airports and at Government House.

Ekapot Parnyaem, a Chart Thai MP representing Pathum Thani province, urged that the government "carry out the order within 24 hours".

He also called on MPs to "mobilise not less than 20,000 people to oppose a power seizure," a sign that there will be public disturbances in case of a military coup.

Ironically, Gen Anupong agreed. He said tht a military coup would not end political turmoil, but might increase it.

Prime Minister Somchai on Thursday denied rumours that some military commanders would be stripped of their posts and that a coup is in the making.

Military personnel should remain in their barracks and officers should not move or put their forces on alert, said government spokesman Natthawut Saikua, who said the public should not be worried or confused by coup rumours. (with reports by TNA and news agencies)

-- Bangkok Post 2008-11-27

May i suggest to all you people who begin your argument with "every other country in the world would...bla bla bla" just stop and think...

has this ever happened in any other country in the world recently??

AND if so,how did they actually handle it?

Would you prefer the approach of certain communist countries who would call in tanks against even one person?

Did you think of catching a plane into penang (if that's possible) and taking the train in? I can't think of any other way of getting into the country right now, but something like that would probably of got you in quicker.

I've been researching this to get mom out. The quickest route I can find to Bangkok is to get to either KL or Singabore and take either a Tiger, Air Asia or Malaysia Airlines flight into Phuket. There are still plenty available. figured I'd drop that in. You can also transit in through Siem Reap, Phnom Penh or Samui (and no doubt other provincial locales), but these are less convenient and more expensive because of the monopolies and limited traffic.

Edited by on-on

Suriyasai Katasila, a leading member of the People's Alliance for Democracy, announced Thursday evening that the PAD-led protesters would fight off police if they are deployed to crack down on the protesters at the Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports.

"If the government wants to clear the protesters, let it try. The PAD will protect all locations because we are using our rights to demonstrate peacefully without causing damages to state properties or rioting," Suriyasai said.

Thai TV is now claiming that the PAD have indicated that they will in fact vacate both airports when ordered to do so by the Police but that they will simply return the following day.... There is also a view that the Police may not be so inclined to get involved as many of them have friends and family taking part in the demonstrations? Could it be that over the next few days a large number of the boys in brown will be struck down with a variety of illnesses? Somchai may as well roll over now. He is in the 3rd minute of injury time with 10 men and 3 goals down. Not even Harry Hotspur can help him now... Seems also the son of the PAD man murdered in Chiang Mai yesterday has been on the TV and he has a lot of incriminating evidence about Toxin and an attempt has all ready been made on his life today also...

the government was NOT democratically elected therefore PPP will get dissolved if they can't change the laws.

the PPP just got 1/3 of the votes and most of the coalition partner promised before the election that they would never make a coalition with PPP.

Sorry to busy your fantasy land bubble, but the government WAS democratically elected.

And if you come up with the bribes that the PPP supposedly gave to voters, how do you answer to the fact that the PAD is paying every demonstrator at the airport? Isn't that bribing too? Face it, both sides pay for votes and support.

Beg to differ mate, calling Thailand a Democracy is like calling Obama President, almost there but not quite yet... Siam is at present an Emergency Democracy at best

..still awaiting ratifikashun apparently B)

Sorry soundman -- but many of us know that ptotesters for the PAD are not getting paid. However the difference WOULD be that vote buying is illegal during elections.

May i suggest to all you people who begin your argument with "every other country in the world would...bla bla bla" just stop and think...

has this ever happened in any other country in the world recently??

AND if so,how did they actually handle it?

Would you prefer the approach of certain communist countries who would call in tanks against even one person?

I really cant think of any other country in the world that would let it get this far!

FF

Shame,

I am sure you will not be missed, bye

Phuket and Samui have international airports

Singapore, Kuala Lumur and Hong Kong have direct flights to Samui,

and then buses to Bkk.

I have been following this situation and understand a bit of the history of this country. I really think the monarchy has quite a lot to do with what is happening (BTW, that statement is not being critical of it, it is just the truth with out any implied judgement. I am not dissing the king by expressing it).

We are talking about only 2 sides of a many sided situation. The army, navy, police, polictical parties and PAD are not at all on the same pages or even in the same books or pockets.

I never post here. Watching TV, they making it even more very polorized, this can and might get worse. I hope not, I love this country. It is a wonderful home away from home.

There is a problem with Thailand and it's "democracy", number 1 being; you can not speak freely here, sadly even on Thai Visa.

Because having an opinion expressed is a dangerous thing, especially to the people in power and the richest.

Free sociteties allow for freedom of speech.

Hi all,

The bottom line is most of these PAD idiots have probably never even been to the airport, they would'nt have the slightest idea what they are doing to their own country.

There is another man in a certain country in Africa who did'nt respect the outcome of an election......maybe the Democrats (and i use that term loosely) are related???????????

Shooting guns whilst holding up pictures of the King ?? mmmmmm.

Whatever the government has to do they have to do to end this.

Keep up the good work Thai Visa.