State Of Emergency Declared

george

Any PAD supporters still holed up at the airport have ZERO sympathy from me if they get hurt or killed. They know what they did, they know what's coming. You can't just seize an international airport and expect to be greeted with flowers and cookies.

If they had seized the JFK or L.A. airport, it would have ended a long time ago, and probably much worse than the Thai police will hopefully end it tonight. As far as I'm concerned, if you run past security at the JFK or L.A. airport, protesting something or not, you get shot in the back before you get anywhere. The Thai government and police have been more than patient, but enough is enough.

Well said. :o

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the point in going back and forth trying to argue that the PAD are paid or not?

I think that it would be naive to think that some don't receive money, and the PAD themselves admit that their guards are employed.

Yet we have poster A stating that they have seen ALL PAD receiving money, and then poster B stating that NO PAD receive money.

Until the very unlikely event that evidence (and hearsay does not count as evidence) proving either way then this argument will have no end.

Anyway, whether or not they are protesting because they are paid is not important. What is important is that they ARE protesting.

No no no, you're not getting away with that. No way. NO ONE WHO ATTENDS, HAS ATTENDED A PAD RALLY IS PAID. EVER.

And you're statement 'even the PAD themselves (who? specifically?) admit their guards are employed (sic) From where? Are they employees of a professional security company, for instance. Source?

I agree a coup is very un-democratic but in a nation with what is it--19 coups----one can hardly be surprised when another one comes.

So Thailand is not now nor has it ever been a democracy.

Maybe someday it will be but it is not yet.

My wife, an educated Thai, brings up the point that Thai people do not like each other very much. Did any of you happen to see the photographs of the man the group in the north cut into pieces?

Thailand is one step away from being like some of the nations in Africa of the violence goes too far.

But then again, all Thais would tell all non Thais that it is none of our business.

They have a point.

But of course all those people who come here and spend money can easily go somewhere else next time.

I predict the gang will still be at the airport in 5 days.

Hope not but I think so.

There has recently been a question over whether the navy was with the army and air force. Also if you go back to the 60's and Thai history it is possible to find old links, and not particulalrly good ones between these two.

Back in 1951 the Navy actually went to war with the Army. They kidnapped the Army backed Prime Minister and held him hostage on a warship, and attempted to get their own guy in power. Their bluff failed however, the Army didn't care if he died or not, and the Air Force allied with them and destroyed the ship. The army laid siege to naval bases and hundreds of people died. And the Prime Minister through some miracle survived the sinking of the ship he was being held on and swam to shore.

Iirc and I may not as I lost my book collection on it to a termite attack, the navy was actually under the police in the 60's when Pol. Gen Pin(?) was the strong man and accusedly drug warlord - a good combination navy and police for that - and then there was a coup and the army smashed the police and removed the navy from their control. Quite who took control of the lucrative drug trade then I cannot recall.

The last five or six decades of Thai history is intensive reading. It's insane.

Back to the thread; when the water canons / tear gass / other turn up I hope that the average PAD demonstrator (probably a decent, but very naive individual) makes the sensible decission to leave rather than be a martyr for the repugnant PAD leaders. Old folk, ladies, infirm and kids need to be taken out safely, I'd hope that the PAD leaders can see that and don't make rabid speeches to brainwash them into staying.

If the PAD thugs get hurt that's the way it is, but there are loads of 'normal' 'family'people that just shouldn't be in the middle of this. They need to make good choices NOW, and get out, before the shiit hits the fan - cause this has the potential to become another awful stain on Thai history.

Edited by jasreeve17

"A fact is something you can verify, you're providing unfounded claims"

This is complete rubbish when used in context of "I know for a fact". I know for a fact I just went and looked in the fridge. Can I verify it? well no. But I can assure you it is a fact.

Yes, I certainly agree to disagree

Edited by lennois

Any PAD supporters still holed up at the airport have ZERO sympathy from me if they get hurt or killed. They know what they did, they know what's coming. You can't just seize an international airport and expect to be greeted with flowers and cookies.

If they had seized the JFK or L.A. airport, it would have ended a long time ago, and probably much worse than the Thai police will hopefully end it tonight. As far as I'm concerned, if you run past security at the JFK or L.A. airport, protesting something or not, you get shot in the back before you get anywhere. The Thai government and police have been more than patient, but enough is enough.

Well said. :o

Would US or any other police ever had allowed that protesters siege the airport?

Welcome to the trap!

By the way, don't forget the government LET people take both airports so if anyone is to be blamed for this it's the govt. This is to be expected and the govt know this would happen but still nothing planned. All they wanna do is talk shit and pray the red and yellow will fight each other to death so they won't have to bother find a scape goat. State of emergency has never been so meaningless.

PM declares state of emergency on airports

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat declared state of emergency at Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi Airports which are under siege of the anti-government protesters.

Somchai said the imposing of the emergency state will be on temporary basis.

City police bureau will be in charge of enforcing the decree at Don Muang Airport under supervision of Interior Minister Pol Gen Kowit Wattana.

The Royal Navy and the First Region Police Bureau will be in charge of the jobs at Suvarnabhurmi Airport, Somchai said.

-- The Nation 2008-11-27

I still believe it is possible to remove the protestors without too much violence (use fire trucks and hit them with water and u ll see) from the airports... It seems the Thai Police though might not be trained enough to manage such events and it could easily degenerate if this is the case but it is possible to remove them...
"We will not leave. We will use human shields against the police if they try to disperse us," PAD leader Suriyasai Katasila told Reuters news agency.

I doubt what you say is true Sunray.............

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7752012.stm

The navy appear to be mystified as to why they are involved statuing they lack the training to carry out such an operation! The naming of the navy to be involved couldnt just be a cynical ploy to try and sow seeds of doubt in the military now could it?

Seems we are discussing non Thai politics here now :o

If it is posted already , I only try to make a correlation to

the misconception usually stated about USA,

AND the current situation here. If possible.

Some seem to post blatantly mis-understood examples,

and they try and compare to here. So confusing others no end.

BUT, sometimes it IS good to have a reference point, to make a point.

Edited by animatic

I still believe it is possible to remove the protestors without too much violence (use fire trucks and hit them with water and u ll see) from the airports... It seems the Thai Police though might not be trained enough to manage such events and it could easily degenerate if this is the case but it is possible to remove them...
"We will not leave. We will use human shields against the police if they try to disperse us," PAD leader Suriyasai Katasila told Reuters news agency.

I doubt what you say is true Sunray.............

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7752012.stm

Top of the morrow to ya FatherF.

Same goon also said this. True statment nobody in charge and PAD descending into anarchy "internal this time :o " as they fall apart.

There were also grave concerns that a coup attempt could spark a nationwide violence involving pro- and anti-Thaksin mobs as well as the military. Suriyasai Katasila, a PAD leader, told The Nation: "Coup is the least of my concern now. I'm worried about violence because nobody seems to be in full control at the moment."

Protesters at three rally grounds _ Don Muang, Suvarnabhumi and Government House _ were also advised to take off their yellow shirts and put on ones with different colours if they were to leave the areas.

The Nation.

I doubt that. It was leaving the protesters to freely roam around the secure areas of the airport, and possible infiltration of people with less than noble intentions who could leave souvenirs beyond security checkpoints that have presented Thailand to the World as a bigger laughing stock than Swaziland.

What makes you say this? All reports lead to the PAD being in the terminal entrance. Not in any secure areas of the airport. I assume you're talking about the confusion yesterday when CNN misreported they had taken over the control tower?

The navy appear to be mystified as to why they are involved statuing they lack the training to carry out such an operation! The naming of the navy to be involved couldnt just be a cynical ploy to try and sow seeds of doubt in the military now could it?

My interpretation of calling in the navy was simply that it was clear to the government puuyai that the army wouldn't do the job.

I don't think you should be the person throwing around accusations like that seeming as you're loyties are very anti-PAD. If you have proof then show it. I don't like nonsensical claims.

PAD supporters have been at my Soi's market all evening offering up to 700 Baht a day for anyone coming to protest at the airport. And they have pick-up trucks waiting to be loaded with people before they drive off. They offered it to my wife and her friend while I was standing besides them. Proof enough? Come see it for yourself if you're still ignorant.

Can you please provide a weblink to your proof.

A weblink? Did you read my post before asking this?

No, I don't have a weblink. Because it's not on the internet, it's happening in my Soi's market, as I already wrote. I don't need to prove anything to anyone. I know what I see and hear and I write it. Believe it or don't, that's up to you.

You don't have to prove a thing to anyone, as I know what you are saying is perfectly true. The "guards" and demonstrators are being paid to strike and always have been. What Thai in their right mind wants an end to democracy and freedom with PAD's idiotic new politics?

You cannot have people taking over airports under any circumstances and they need to me removed ASAP by any means no other country in the world would allow the takeover of there main airport.

All this talk of new elections is stupid PPP will just be voted back in again Somchai has only just become PM give the guy a chance

Its a democratically elected goverment that has already had a coup against it and survived and were revoted in they chased the next PM out and a new one was appointed the majority of the peoples voice is clear with the exception of the elitists and privaleged few that obviously dont want democracy here in thailand.

I hope the police get in there and clean this mess up right away.

The PPP was not elected to be the government. They did NOT get the majority of the votes. Only by the coalition with the small parties they ended up with the necessary majority. This basically means that about 40% of the people are not and have never been in support of this government. In a case like this, a government should be very careful how they manage the country and what they do. They should realize that they have to manage the country in a way that is acceptable for all, including the very large number who does not support them. And this is exactly the mistake they made. They started to run the country as if they had 95% of the people supporting their party and there ideas. That is the cause of the whole mess. If the PPP government was a bit smarter since the start, they could have a chance to run the country in a normal way.

blood in that airport will cost the country far more then continued protests, not to mention being more or less unconstitutional I would have thought

I doubt that. It was leaving the protesters to freely roam around the secure areas of the airport, and possible infiltration of people with less than noble intentions who could leave souvenirs beyond security checkpoints that have presented Thailand to the World as a bigger laughing stock than Swaziland.

Financially, hundreds of millions of dollars damage was done to the country every day through this exercise of people power, which is basically giving a green light to every terrorist organisation in the World to use similar tactics to achieve their goals.

It is still beyond my comprehension that less than 0.1 percent of population can bring the whole government, police and army to their knees.

Truly Amazing Thailand. Even more amazing a month later with 15% of population jobless and broke.

Well said! Amazing and not to be proud of!

Amazing...PAD are having a rock concert at Suvarnabhumi right now. Live streaming TV at:

http://www.astv-tv.com/#

Click in the TOC link (#2 in the "Live" box.

Incredible. Thousands of stranded tourists, millions of baht lost in revenue, guns and knives, and all we get in return is some bearded bloke singing doo doo doo doo doo doo.

I hope they sing that mee panda song next.

Looking at the situation from outside Thailand, I'm very sad to see all this happening.

While the whole world is looking for ways to beat a serious economic crisis, those protesters are trying to destroy one of the few things Thailand has going for it: tourism.

Most of the responses I see from farangs on international TV are negative about PAD's action and to a lesser extent also about Thailand.

My wife and I - who visited Bangkok several times in 2006 - were planning to take her mother and sister for their first visit to the country just before Xmas, but that's definitely off now.

I'm very selfish tonight.

I just want to be able to go home and see my family!!!

I'm fed up being stuck in Tokyo.

Clear up the place tonight. Do it smoothly if you can.

And if it's a bloodbath, arrest all the PAD leaders. They are the true responsible. I'm sure Sondhi will be easy at hisluxurious home and not on the first row to get the the teargas.

Tomorrow will be another day. For sure, nothing will be solved with the corrupt Taksin and his affiliates.

And other elections won't probably change anything.

I don't know why, I still love this amazing country!

Amazing...PAD are having a rock concert at Suvarnabhumi right now. Live streaming TV at:

http://www.astv-tv.com/#

Click in the TOC link (#2 in the "Live" box.

someone mentioned they have english translation somewhere on this site, or is it just sporadically?

thanks

The TOC link is for the English service, but they don't have interpreters working this live feed. They were just talking about Somchai's State of Emergency announcement and more or less discrediting it.

I also notice a distinctively lower number of yellow shirts, possibly in anticipation of making a run for it and fading in with the crowd. Stay tuned, this is where you will see it all happening.